madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

coucou chloe! the two songs she released this year are soo good, but I prefer nobody!

atm is such a bop! i'm currently obsessed with it and bree runway in general! missy did THAT!

eartheater! :jonny5: discovered her this year and I love her discography!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

america was fine, but My Rajneesh simply did it better

stan WHy Not, sadly can't relate much

Experience :WAP:

America :jonny5:

Bree :katie2: 

Bad Bunny, my future one night stand :WAP:

• ATRL Moderator

yM3zJ5N.png

70.  21 savage - steppin on n****s

genre: hip hop, trap

for fans of: late 80s hip hop

one of my many music hot takes is that 80s hip hop is better than 90s hip hop.  i just like everything from the 80s.  this song has that magic late 80s charm to it in the beat.  its the cowbell probably.  thats what i like about it and what makes it my fave song from savage's excellent mixtape.  

69.  100 gecs - xXXi_wud_nvrstøp_ÜXXx (remix ft tommy cash and hannah diamond)

genre: hyperpop, pseudo emo

for fans of: the original song, pop 2

so this was probably the highlight from the album last year, and well, now with the remix album its also the highlight.  i think the song is actually enhanced with the guest vocalists.  you mix hannah diamond's deadpan vocals with tommy cash being super animated an all over the place.  actually though, even though they're deadpan i still get a lot of emotion out of hannah's vocals.  i guess thats her special talent.  i also just really love tommy cash, he takes me back to the era when it was cool to like die antwoord.

68.  tricot - 體 

genre: math rock, hard rock

for fans of: any indie rock/post punk band from america/uk tbh.

oh my god.  tricot gave us a lot to work with this year, two full albums!  weird that the final song on the second album is my fave, i had to wait a while to get to the best but that made all the listening to them more exciting.  its got a really rough sounding hook for them and its a little more harder hitting than their more poppy melodies.  just an all around great outro and proof that they are still evolving as artists.  seriously, if you like indie rock, please check them out.  

67.  shygirl - leng

genre: uk bass

for fans of: chaos

omgggggggg, the instrumental to this is ****ing insane.  what i like about this is that a lot of her instrumentals are very industrial heavy and harsh but you got the water drips and the synth line that repeats and it really stands out and she's able to ride that super fast beat well.  of course, theres some sorta half time outro at the end where the song descends into chaos.

66.  ava max - naked

genre: pop trash

for fans of: the early 10s electropop trend

yeah, we all know what ava max is doing with her sound.  what i like most about this one is that she takes all the early 10s pop trends and then decides yes she's going to give us a carly hook.  the most memorable and most well done song she's done yet.

65.  us girls - 4 american dollars

genre: psychedelic rock

for fans of: her last album.

wow, remember when this came out and we all were expecting another aoty contender?  well, we did not get that, spoiler alert.  but we did get one of the best songs of the year, with a soulful group of backing vocals and at least a couple 2 completely unrelated stellar hooks.

64.  sza - hit different

genre: modern rnb

for fans of: ty dolla sign completionists, ambien

this song basically is the meme of ty dolla sign songs vs featuring ty dolla sign songs.  you get both him and sza completely rambling on the track in the most gorgeous way possible.  i really really like the hook where it sounds like ty is almost late on it, very hypnotic and charming.  not gonna lie though, while the mv is pretty does aybody else feel like it does not match the mood of the song?

63.  india jordan - for you

genre: house

for fans of: orbital and gay pop ****.

aaaaaand this songs for y- youuu, is hook of the year for me.  does anybody know what it samples?  its a genius use of it, song has peaks, valleys, etc to keep you entertained.  the intro part totally gives me those early 90s orbital vibes.

62.  jessie ware - in your eyes

genre: nu disco

for fans of: early jessie ware

welp, another jessie track is here.  this is one of the most jessie ware songs on the album.  if youve been listening to her for a while i bet you could hear her singing this melody on any one of her other albums, its got that classic feel, but on wyp? its got a pulsating beat and gorgeous strings.

61.  jacob collier - in my bones

genre: lounge jazz, art pop

for fans of: kimbra, knower

i know he got the aoty grammy nom.  i still haven't heard the album.  i checked this out because of kimbra.  its sorta like super adhd jazz funk art pop i guess.  its very corny white boy, but my girl kimda does the damn thing, i also enjoy the featured rapper, never heard of them before.

• ATRL Moderator
Spoiler
59 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

Experience :WAP:

America :jonny5:

Bree :katie2: 

Bad Bunny, my future one night stand :WAP:

bad bunny is so hot.... lmao.  were you here for the thread with the guy arguing about it?

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

america was fine, but My Rajneesh simply did it better

stan WHy Not, sadly can't relate much

honestly... it basically came down to a coin flip for me with america/my rajneesh. :-* 

2 hours ago, ikiru said:

coucou chloe! the two songs she released this year are soo good, but I prefer nobody!

atm is such a bop! i'm currently obsessed with it and bree runway in general! missy did THAT!

eartheater! :jonny5: discovered her this year and I love her discography!

everyone seems to prefer nobody :rip: i guess thats an unpopular opinion.  

eartheater is all over the place for me tbh.  im not that into folk especially this year so i wish her album went a diff direction.  i respect her artistry tho.

3 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Sounds like my thing. Will check that one out

I like Safaera too. :shutup:

PLEASE check out ela minus's album.  shes soo underrated.  its also only something like 30 minutes long, a very short album too, so its not a chore.

4 hours ago, Macchi said:

I'm late to the party but Experience :clap3:a song. SG lewis seems to be very versatile with his collaborators and it pays off!

I really did try to get into live without your love because that's what a loving faithful boyfriend does (Calvin just doesn't know it yet), but I can't get into it!

lmaooo, its one of the few recent songs of calvin's ive actually liked lmao.  and i know this is unpopular of an opinion, but  was more into calvin when he was a dorky dj, not the buff hunk he is now. 

7 hours ago, geodancefreak said:

Safaera and that Love Regenerator song are FIRE

yeah they are kinda tiemeless.

8 hours ago, mokitsu said:

ela minus queen :katie2: and yeah bad bunny absolutely slayed me in safeera, prob the only song i like in that project.

ela minus is sooooooooooooooooo underrated.  i liked most of bb's album tbh, the first song was a contender to be on my list, but as  i said, have to go with a miss elliott sample.

9 hours ago, potent said:

I honestly don't know the songs this set, although I'd be interested in hearing Victoria Monet

I don't think Bad Bunny is really for me but let me check it out lol

victoria monet is very broadly appealing and has songs from many different styles!  check her out.

13 hours ago, Legend E said:

experience cute

:-* 

13 hours ago, Lazuli said:

why not? being your favourite loona song :deadbanana: i bop to it even after my horrible first impression of it, but still

america is cute but it's a far cry from his superior long-ass song, impossible soul :cm: 

**POST-DEBUT loona song!!  

i dont even remember impossible soul.............. omg bad fan.

14 hours ago, minho said:

ATM is good :clap3: Bree is so fun to follow, I love that you don't quite know what she'll deliver next but that's the fun - there's lots of great stuff there.  Why Not is also v fun, I like Loona in 2020 more than their previous group releases so I'm glad to see that as someone who had followed them as pre-debut since basically the beginning - nothing QUITE hits like their predebut work but I think they're progressively finding their sound

100% agree with this, i think thats why i liek her and if she releases a weaker song i can look past it.  she's always giving us something new to chew on.  i agree about loona's pre-debut stuff.  i dont think they've yet to top rosy, girl front, new, etc, but they have definitely redeemed their last few flops.

16 hours ago, Ava Max said:

Why Not :clap3:

their best!

16 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

I was really really surprised to see I liked Experience as much as I did (Khalid? zzzzz). Honestly, the whole record/EP/WHATEVER I underrated way too much.

YUP that's the best Love Regenerator pick FOR SURE, Steve Lacey slaying. ATM also my fave Bree pick. Safeera ALSO my fave Bad Bunny pick.

yeah khalid is someone im not a fan of, his music screams payola industry plant sorry to any fans.  but he sounds amazing in that song, like he actually enhances it!

its not actually my highest bree song oops :blush: 

18 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

I've heard experience a few times around the game section. It's alright I guess. Safaera is really progressive and I dig it. And you know I prefer nobody > drop ten. 

yeah, maybe nobody would have been my #1 if it got more listens from her, either way we need a release from her stat.  safeera definitely sold me on bad  bunny.  not that i needed a reason to be sold tho lol..

21 hours ago, Claw said:

"for fans of: troye sivan" bye!

Concealer was not a song I knew Eartheater released this year.

its kinda true tho, they are becoming more and more simi8lar.

22 hours ago, pearlmercury said:

safeera, why not and some other ela minus tracks would be on my list if i had one. 

YOU NEED TO MAKE ONE !!!

11 minutes ago, Madame X said:

66.  ava max - naked

genre: pop trash

harsh x

but her best song so yup!

Love hit diffenre, love in your eyes

Jacob Collier album was surprisingly good, it's a fun listen

• ATRL Moderator
33 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

harsh x

but her best song so yup!

Love hit diffenre, love in your eyes

Jacob Collier album was surprisingly good, it's a fun listen

pop trash is a good thing x

maybe i will listen to it someday soon.

$4 :WAP:

Hit Different is a nice song. I think we were just happy SZA finally came back. But it seems she’s back in her cave :rip: 

Jacob, 21 Savage and Jessie :heart: 

ezgif-3-df3ec417491a.thumb.gif.cfd256c4a

2 hours ago, Madame X said:

63.  india jordan - for you

genre: house

for fans of: orbital and gay pop ****.

aaaaaand this songs for y- youuu, is hook of the year for me.  does anybody know what it samples?  its a genius use of it, song has peaks, valleys, etc to keep you entertained.  the intro part totally gives me those early 90s orbital vibes.

YES! :alexz:The way your lists always have one choice that I stan hard.

Get your life from the OG.

Experience is so, so good & it's the song that made me finally give Victoria my attention :date: "wouldn't it have been amazing if ariana went down the disco route instead of positions?" Umm, yes! ATM, A-T-A-T-M :sats: In Your Eyes :jamming: mmm we love a smooth jam

Jessie's In Your Eyes, Hit Different, Naked & 21 savage's Steppin On made it into the list :jonny5:

Honestly US Girls new album got blocked from my mind :clap3: it's what she deserves 

Also forgot that 100 gecs music this year, maybe my lack of taste strikes again dd

Wait a minute, that Ava song is GREAT. :jamming: Man oh man, there's some great pop music on here.

SZA always serves quality, In Your Eyes was one of my favourite songs on Jesse's albums.. but I literally loved every single song on it. Happy they're all making your list. :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator
5 hours ago, Valtersen said:

Jacob :clap3:

who is this btw sis

5 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

$4 :WAP:

Hit Different is a nice song. I think we were just happy SZA finally came back. But it seems she’s back in her cave :rip: 

Jacob, 21 Savage and Jessie :heart: 

im kinda mad she got back in her cave.  i wonder if she's insecure bc i know she had vocal surgery.  that sucks :/

4 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Ava and SZA :foxaylove:

3 hours ago, DoctorIce said:

YES! :alexz:The way your lists always have one choice that I stan hard.

Get your life from the OG.

AHHH!  omg.  i loved listening to this.  and i realize now its the same band that janet sampled for all for you, and they're from italy!  lgends. though, of all italian disco outfits, this is the most straight forward disco sounding lol.  usually italio disco sounds diff

2 hours ago, Remmy said:

Experience is so, so good & it's the song that made me finally give Victoria my attention :date: "wouldn't it have been amazing if ariana went down the disco route instead of positions?" Umm, yes! ATM, A-T-A-T-M :sats: In Your Eyes :jamming: mmm we love a smooth jam

i remember monopoly coming out and everyone being like "meh" glad eveyrone gave her a second chance.

i think that positions IS underrated, but i really would like that sg lewis disco style on her next album.

2 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

Naked :WAP:

1 hour ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Jessie's In Your Eyes, Hit Different, Naked & 21 savage's Steppin On made it into the list :jonny5:

Honestly US Girls new album got blocked from my mind :clap3: it's what she deserves 

Also forgot that 100 gecs music this year, maybe my lack of taste strikes again dd

yes miss us girls went from atrl indie darling to nobody real quick.  ill probably tune into her next album tho still. 

1 hour ago, Mezik said:

Wait a minute, that Ava song is GREAT. :jamming: Man oh man, there's some great pop music on here.

SZA always serves quality, In Your Eyes was one of my favourite songs on Jesse's albums.. but I literally loved every single song on it. Happy they're all making your list. :clap3: 

yeah ava is hit/miss sometimes, but she's good at catchy hooks.  theres gonna be a lot of jessie here, just warning you lol

1 hour ago, dreamofyou said:

naked :jonny5:

i haven't listened to heaven & hell in full in ages omg i need to

Naked :heart: 

Blinding Lights + Levitating :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
31 minutes ago, Valtersen said:

Jacob :celestial5:

mess @ me not knowing and being the one praising his song,but its a fun gif to spam

ugh Experience is SO good, the only song I really use from her but still :smitten:

love to see Why Not stanning :heart: it's such a grower and the way the production keeps switching up is so :jonny5: LETS PUMP IT UP

I think ATM sucks tbh :keir: Leng isn't my fave on the Shygirl EP but I do really like it :jamming: Naked one of Ava's few good songs :fan:

4 American Dollars was one of the 2 songs I saved from that album :mandown: In Your Eyes feels underrated, v cute song :emofish: 

We better be seeing Jessie like 4 more times please (jk up to you, but I'm sure title track will be your top one I have a FEELING). I actually never thought about how it could kinda easily slide into ANY of her previous songs with a touch up and you're so right omg...

Leng is cute! Yeah 4 American Dollars, the only decent (well no, it's a great song) from that trash album. Such a disappointment; I should have put it in my bottom 20. 

In My Bones is lowkey my SOTY. Kimbra slayed, Jacob was classic "play that funky music white boy"ing it up but it works, and Tank did THAT (their album from last year is cute btw).

For You is AWESOME. This is what the vocal sample is from btw:

• ATRL Moderator

naked :clap3:

in your eyes, masterpiece. i agree that it sounds like old jessie, but to me it sounds just like no ordinary love by sade too. well, jessie gives sade vibes anyway, but yeah i just wanted to point that out :thing: 

Ugh, all my comments got deleted :jonny2:

But these last three sets have been IT. Dua, Kali (even though that wouldn't be my pick :mandown:) Vic, Calvin and Steve, Abellah, Kali, SZA + Ty + whatever else I forgot whew

Also I saved the clipping album!

In Your Eyes :clap3: such a jam

Hit Different still hits me :jonny: I hope she's going to release follow-up sewn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.