madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

are you gonna do one?

Right now my answer is no but maybe I’ll change my mind when all this chaos is over (hopefully) in a week or two

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

Don't Go Outside :smitten: Great closer, love how it includes some lyrics from previous songs to wrap things up nicely. anthems + Super Duper Party People YUP YUP!!! :worship: Both are megabops for me

Decided to be charitable and peek at some others :gaycat3: My Baby Just Cares for Me is cute. Never Let Me Go has a great beat but I don't always do well with tracks that have very little lyrics/singing.

My Hair :heart2::heart2:

Yeah I haven't heard these, but listening to the Allie one right now

Sugar on the Rim (one of the best from Petals for Armor) and Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus from the last set are great though :clap3:

6 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

omg, YAS I LOVE SOME CHARLI ACCLAIM :alexz: I can't at HIFN being hated on atrl :rip: Anthems :clap3: 

Remember how I said HIFN was a dissapointment. Well I was wrong its grown on me. :jamming:

On 12/13/2020 at 12:12 PM, Madame X said:

48.  roisin murphy - murphy's law

genre: disco, boogie

for fans of: whats your pleasure

this is definitely the most straight forward disco inspired song on roisin's album, but her deep husky voice makes for a great classic 80s disco sounding song, and she was generous enough to give us an 8 minute mix of this holy hymn.  i say its straight forward becuase its not as abstract or distorted, like, say, narcissus or simulation are.  not complaining about those, but i think thats what made this standout and made me pick it as one of my... multiple roisin picks. 

I tried to check this song out and Stimulation but it didn't click with me

Anthems catchy messy banger
Super Duper Party People was a choice
Slayyyter fell off after her mixtape :gaycat6:
Soul Lady :heart2:
I think that Poppy song was one of the decent ones

I really liked the instrumental of that charli xcx song

Maybe I will check her album

13 hours ago, Madame X said:

cindy - never let me go

Considering the genres, I had to check this one out. The first two minutes were alright. I liked the simple lyrics too.

13 hours ago, Madame X said:

lou hayter - my baby just cares for me

This one, however, was my favorite. I went for the full version. Great synths. :jamming:

On 12/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, Madame X said:

r5lTCz3.png

47.  ariana grande - my hair

genre: lite rnb, pop

for fans of: sweetener

honestly, if sweetener was your fave ari album, you'll like a lot on positions.  my hair is a huge standout and possibly one of the best slow jam/sex songs ariana has done.  oh she decides to use her whistle tone at the end.  somehow the obnoxiousness adds to the sex appeal of the song.

AN R&B CLASSIC

5Z0qV0S.gif

i wanna know what user compared it to masseduction!! i will curse them forever tbh.

what’s so bad about it tho? i can totally see hayley taking her on :-* 

anthems :clap3: i thought it sounded too abrasive for the album but it grew 

i randomly listened to the yukika song once and its cute but really similar to twice’s say something 

decided to listen to elastic and I love it wow :jonny5: you're right the song is super catchy and I have no choice but to stan the instrumentation :alexz:I'll def check out love in high demand when I have the time for it!

anthems is flawless and I would kill to listen to it in a club right now :weeps:

while I really tried to like self destruct I just couldn't get into it, I love the sound she's going for but that song was disappointing :dancehall:

soul lady  :heart2: re listened to the whole album today and it's still so good! glad to see she is that loved here in the best of section!

still obsessed with body (the magdalena bay one) from the last update!

• ATRL Moderator

UjNItPh.png

30.  gupi & fraxiom - thos moser

genre: bubblegum bass

for fans of: youtube comment "this is just bladee for gay people" says it all.

tony hawk's song collaborates with... fraxiom? who is fraxiom? are they the vocalist here? well, whoever they are, i appreciate their input because this is gupi's best song.  i feel like this song, more than any other before it, officially completes the "hyperpop" "bubblegum bass" etc crowd into embracing mid 00s sounds and aesthetics into their fold, you can definitely hear some 00s hip hop and pop rock (mostly in the melodies) influences here.  

29.  yelle - noir

genre: synth pop

for fans of: yelle's debut album

this is for the oldheads!  this bouncy synthpop number is definitely more in style with yelle's first album, pop up, with half spoken half sung vocals and eclectic instrumentals.  the new album gracefully balances this sound and the gorgeous "chill" sounds of their third album.  well, gun to my head, you know what im going to choose.  got kind of an early depeche mode feel to it.

28.  arca - klk

genre: art pop, neoperreo, glitch pop

for fans of: rosalia collabs

best rosalia collab? no silly thats blinding lights!  this songs got a couple steady elements, the high pitched synth, rosalia singing the hook, but the song slowly evolves over time so you always get something new to listen to.  the best digital reggaeton song of the year tbh.  whats your favorite part? there are so many parts but im gonna go with the "rum pum pum pum" part. 

27.  gfriend - labyrinth

genre: kpop, synth pop

for fans of: ok, story time, just when posting this song, i just now discovered that this song is not a title track.  what the actual ****? how? you listen to this mini, hear this song, and you just intuitively know its the title track.  but its not!  well, whoever was in charge of that, screw you!  gfriend have a good signature sound with their bold power pop melodies that bring back the era of 00s anime but its not the main vocal hook this time, its that insane synth line.  seriously, i dare you to dislike that!  the belting is good too.

26.  rico nasty - iphone

genre: bubblegum bass, hip hop

for fans of: 100 gecs? dylan brady produced, also charli

rico's discography can be divided into two main camps: the aggro yelling rap songs and the sung emorap songs.  this song......... technically? would be in the latter, right? she's singing in most of the song, and her rapping is not what i'd call aggro.  but it feels intuitively like its for fans of the former.  its probably the 100 gecs production.  its downright singalong, and definitely the best singalong type song of hers.

25.  victoria monet - jaguar

genre: disco revival, rnb

this song is sorta on the disco revival bandwagon, but it stands out with its relaxed vibe horns and percussion.  what makes the song stand out is the bold and evocative lyrics on the chorus.  "supersonic ***** cat just like a jaguar silky black - so let me climb your wood like that you got nine times to call me back."  

24.  playboi carti - @ meh

genre: hip hop

for fans of: feel like he's already got his own lane.

i know a lot people consider this a disappointment, but i dont.  i was a casual fan of die lit, i found it enjoyable but i didn't get all the obsession.  well, now i do.  figures the disappointing single to the second album is what makes him click for me but whatever, it got the job done.  its definitely the colorful and bright instrumental for me.

23.  itzy - 23hrs

genre: kpop

for fans of: sophie

spoiler alert: this is my highest kpop song on my list.  itzy did that!  well this is produced by sphie so so did she.  its not just the sophie synths that make me love it (though, it is a lot that), its the endless infectious chanting.  ITZY 4 24 HOURS! 

22.  perfume genius - describe

genre: shoegaze, indie rock

for fans of: 90s music

so the kids online are calling this 'shoegaze country'?  i guess i can hear some, like 3% bluegrass influences, so if you're looking for a sound like that, maybe check this out.  honestly, im just glad we got a ****ing powerful and hard hitting shoegaze song.  its felt like forever since ive listened to a shoegaze song, gone "YES!" and haven't needed to listen to mbv to cleanse my ears (sorry for offending shoegaze is not my fave genre xx).

21.  chloe x halle - ungodly hour

genre: pop rnb

for fans of: their first album

chloe x halle used to be weird art pop kids, though, honestly, most of their artsier experiments fell flat aside from a few ones.  when they went rnb, it was the right decision, but yet the poppiest track on the album remains my favorite.  it helps that they got more expensive production, but call & response hook is amazing, and it just is very ethereal and magical something they haven't managed to do successfully before. 

• ATRL Moderator
Spoiler
1 hour ago, ikiru said:

decided to listen to elastic and I love it wow :jonny5: you're right the song is super catchy and I have no choice but to stan the instrumentation :alexz:I'll def check out love in high demand when I have the time for it!

anthems is flawless and I would kill to listen to it in a club right now :weeps:

while I really tried to like self destruct I just couldn't get into it, I love the sound she's going for but that song was disappointing :dancehall:

soul lady  :heart2: re listened to the whole album today and it's still so good! glad to see she is that loved here in the best of section!

still obsessed with body (the magdalena bay one) from the last update!

the whole too free album is pretty good but none are catchy as elastic.  glad you enjoyed :jonny: 

yeah i relistened to yukika's album recently and it holds up so well.  she really gave us one of the best kpop full lengths, like of all time. 

4 hours ago, Lazuli said:

what’s so bad about it tho? i can totally see hayley taking her on :-* 

anthems :clap3: i thought it sounded too abrasive for the album but it grew 

i randomly listened to the yukika song once and its cute but really similar to twice’s say something 

nothings bad about it, its just kind of an association i never had and now i can't unhear it.

its because yukika is city pop!  its what 80s pop sounded like in japan its a whole subgenre/niche.  say something is also a tribute to that era (as are a few other kpop songs).  

7 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

ugh anthems:WAP:

i thought i was gonna aget hate for it, glad i didn't :heart: 

8 hours ago, geodancefreak said:

SUPER DUPER PARTY PEOPLE :jonny6:

YES THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING THE SONG

9 hours ago, PrinceMichaelFan said:

AN R&B CLASSIC

5Z0qV0S.gif

stan sis!

9 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Considering the genres, I had to check this one out. The first two minutes were alright. I liked the simple lyrics too.

This one, however, was my favorite. I went for the full version. Great synths. :jamming:

glad you enjoyed her!!! too bad she only has like 4 songs total.

15 hours ago, Green said:

I really liked the instrumental of that charli xcx song

Maybe I will check her album

her album has lots of moments like that, anthem is the better version of claws imo but most people prefer claws.

15 hours ago, Psycho said:

Anthems catchy messy banger
Super Duper Party People was a choice
Slayyyter fell off after her mixtape :gaycat6:
Soul Lady :heart2:
I think that Poppy song was one of the decent ones

one of the decent ones!  all poppy songs are good.  and lol, slayyyter has like what 2 songs after her mixtape!  give the girl a chance! 

16 hours ago, Insanity said:

I tried to check this song out and Stimulation but it didn't click with me

i can see why they wouldn't, they're super long lol.  a lot of people like we got together and jealousy if you wanna check out more :michael: 

16 hours ago, Insanity said:

Remember how I said HIFN was a dissapointment. Well I was wrong its grown on me. :jamming:

YES!!

16 hours ago, potent said:

Yeah I haven't heard these, but listening to the Allie one right now

Sugar on the Rim (one of the best from Petals for Armor) and Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus from the last set are great though :clap3:

im glad you enjoyed SOTR and BBTC because ch, a lot of people are forgetting them! 

18 hours ago, KasioKas said:

My Hair :heart2::heart2:

one of her best!

20 hours ago, Remmy said:

Don't Go Outside :smitten: Great closer, love how it includes some lyrics from previous songs to wrap things up nicely. anthems + Super Duper Party People YUP YUP!!! :worship: Both are megabops for me

Decided to be charitable and peek at some others :gaycat3: My Baby Just Cares for Me is cute. Never Let Me Go has a great beat but I don't always do well with tracks that have very little lyrics/singing.

glad youre one of the two people who approved of SDPP lol.  glad people are enjoying miss lou, she's very underrated.  cherry on top is good too.

20 hours ago, pinknblue said:

Right now my answer is no but maybe I’ll change my mind when all this chaos is over (hopefully) in a week or two

you should!! @ me if you do

Sle at Ungodly Hour :alexz:

Yelle :heart: Definitely agree that it’s a callback to their earlier stuff, we had no choice but to restan.

I like that Gupi song too. Arca is very hit or miss for me (mostly on the miss side) but Rosalía sells it.

anthems really is such a banger :jonny6:

not Shitzy and their stolen SOPHIE rihject being your #1!

Ungodly Hour and KLK amazing

I also thought labyrinth was the title :dies: 

Labyrinth is excellent, should have been the single over Crossroads
Not 23HRS :deadbanana: a bop
Ungodly Hour did that :clap3:

Whole Lotta Red coming Xmas :jonny5:

Just listened to CxH album and I shouldn't have waited all this time. Title track was def a highlight. Oh and KLK is amazing.

IPHONE >>>>>> it's higher on my list than yours. :eli:

Jaguar + Ungodly Hour :sats::sats::sats: Both great bops and great title tracks as well

glad youre one of the two people who approved of SDPP lol.

There isn't one skip in Allie's discography :gaygacat1: As for SDPP if you get it you get it, if you don't you don't!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.