'Chained to the Rhythm' is direct as ****, like for real

Mastamaind

It was too tone deaf since it was released after the 2016 election when people were riled up and 'purposeful' pop or whatever her team tried to call it seemed like a mockery of poor people since she is the part of the rich that exploits them. But, with that said, imo this song is a harmless reminder of the dangers of capitalism and people tore Katy to threads for no reason

HonourableVomit
2 hours ago, Mastamaind said:

Clunky? What do you exactly mean by that?

Crazy we're in a pandemic right now and the references bacame reality.

It's too wordy to sing along with and the choice of syllables for repetition in the chorus is just ugly. 

"Bubble bubble", "trouble trouble" and "dance dance dance to the distortion" are mouthfuls. The whole chorus is so brash and yelly, very monotone after the airy verses. 

14 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

It's too wordy to sing along with and the choice of syllables for repetition in the chorus is just ugly. 

"Bubble bubble", "trouble trouble" and "dance dance dance to the distortion" are mouthfuls. The whole chorus is so brash and yelly, very monotone after the airy verses. 

In a counter-note I think it's commendable that she could pack it up in a chorus, I think it goes a way to prove her talent, don't you think?

Edited by Mastamaind

I definitely like it more today than when I first heard it. This era is misunderstood. I think she should've started with Bon Apetit personally. This would've been better as a closer for the era.

1 hour ago, HonourableVomit said:

And (I had to add this) I think we can disagree on that. I think the chorus is superb, maybe you should give it a try to enjoy it, and now that we're in a pandemic, you could try to understand better. And if you can't, I can help you out. What do you say?

Edited by Mastamaind
12 hours ago, MissedTheTrain said:

I think the idea was solid, but the execution was pretty tame all around.  But it's still a bop.

The execution was pretty tame? Regarding what? Can you give one example?

MissedTheTrain
10 minutes ago, Mastamaind said:

The execution was pretty tame? Regarding what? Can you give one example?

The basic gist of the song is "we're in a bubble" but doesn't really elaborate any further.  Some political songs that are examples of being more direct would be like P!nk's Dear Mr President, or The Chicks' March March.  

And it's fine, CTTR is solid for what it is, I just wouldn't call it "direct as ****"

7 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

The basic gist of the song is "we're in a bubble" but doesn't really elaborate any further.  Some political songs that are examples of being more direct would be like P!nk's Dear Mr President, or The Chicks' March March.  

And it's fine, CTTR is solid for what it is, I just wouldn't call it "direct as ****"

It actually elaborates in the next line:

"So comfortable, we're livin' in a bubble, bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, trouble"

So?

Edited by Mastamaind
MissedTheTrain
13 minutes ago, Mastamaind said:

It actually elaborates in the next line:

"So comfortable, we're livin' in a bubble, bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, trouble"

So?

But, what is the trouble?  That's all I'm saying, it says we are living in a bubble away from other things happening, but doesn't elaborate on what those things are.  It's fine and works for what it is, I just wouldn't call it "direct".  There's nothing really specific in there. 

Some lyrics from March March that I'd call a bit more direct:

Standing with Emma and our sons and daughters
Watchin' our youth have to solve our problems

Tell the ol' boys in the white bread lobby
What they can and can't do with their bodies
Temperatures are rising, cities are sinkin'
(Ah, cut the ****)
(You know your city is sinkin')
Lies are truth and truth is fiction
Everybody's talkin'
Who's gonna listen?
What the hell happened in Helsinki?

And Dear Mr President

What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away?
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine

Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Minimum wage with a baby on the way
Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away
Building a bed out of a cardboard box

Again, I'm not knocking it, it works fine for a Pop lead single, I just wouldn't call it "direct as ****".

1 hour ago, MissedTheTrain said:

But, what is the trouble?  That's all I'm saying, it says we are living in a bubble away from other things happening, but doesn't elaborate on what those things are.  It's fine and works for what it is, I just wouldn't call it "direct".  There's nothing really specific in there. 

Some lyrics from March March that I'd call a bit more direct:

And Dear Mr President

Again, I'm not knocking it, it works fine for a Pop lead single, I just wouldn't call it "direct as ****".

I see what you mean but I think you should appreciate the song more to actually realize it is direct as ****, another example would be the line "stumbling around like a wasted zombie" which references the numbing that can cause certain types of stimulation. You can also check the references of the music video. You got the part where she's drinking some sort of blue-ish liquid, which references the poisoning of water. There's also the part where a couple is ejected from the park which references cruel immigration laws. So I think you really should check what you're missing in the single, don't you think?

Edited by Mastamaind