HDD: Dua's debut reaches 2M units in the US

Hector

Streaming equivalent albums (SEA) were first introduced to the charts in December 2014. In the five-year period from 2010 to 2014, the average length of time an album spent in the Top 200 was 18-20 weeks. As industry trackers shifted to include consumption, that average has steadily increased each year, to 75 weeks in 2019. This year to date, the average weeks on for an album sits at 92.

Hit songs have almost always driven albums. While the same is true in the streaming era, artists and their labels can no longer depend on just one song to propel an album to millions of equivalent units. In order to reach those heights, many of the tracks must be played many times, thus creating a long tail in which the album collects smaller, yet steady totals week after week. The previous sales-only model often loaded up the first few weeks, resulting in a quicker disappearance from the chart.  

Albums released in 2015 or later that have spent the most time on the chart include Twenty One Pilots Blurryface (Fueled By Ramen), The Weeknd’s Beauty Behind The Madness (XO/Republic), and Hamilton (Uptown/Atlantic)—all with more than 250 weeks. Others at or approaching 200 weeks include Rihanna’s Anti (Westbury Road/Roc Nation), Drake’s Views (YMCMB/Republic), Post Malone’s Stoney (Republic), and J. Cole’s 2014 Forest Hills Drive (Roc Nation/Columbia). All of these featured multiple, heavily streamed tracks or possibly, in the case of Hamilton, were often streamed as a whole.

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_1875533154.jpg

Stoney was one of the first hit albums to set this smaller but steady precedent. In 200 weeks since release the album has amassed over 5m equivalent units with a weekly average of only 22.5k, and has only ever fallen below the Top 50 in thirteen weeks. Debuting in the second week of December 2016, it opened with less than 60k and quickly fell into the 20ks where it remained for 39 weeks. As its popularity grew, weekly activity then increased to 30-45k for another six months. This year, Stoney remains a chart fixture and ranks most weeks #40-50.

Dua Lipa’s self-titled 2017 release (Warner) may even more dramatically illustrate the long tail that streaming affords. With no single week above 15.2k in activity, the album spent nearly 100 weeks in the Top 200 and sits at over 2m equivalent units to date.

So far in 2020, streaming makes up 85% of overall album units. The SEA to date for both Stoney and Dua Lipa sits 
at 86%.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=323610&title=THE-TALE-OF-THE-LONG-TAIL

Whew, deserved :clap3:

The 24-track hit-packed double album did that :clap3:

HDD reaffirming that growing importance of albums in the streaming era :clap3:

6 minutes ago, Hector said:

With no single week above 15.2k in activity, the album spent nearly 100 weeks in the Top 200 and sits at over 2m equivalent units to date.

If FN gets this type of longevity we're looking at a 5 Million + for it.

2 minutes ago, mcohen said:

this.

streaming doesn't make big splashes usually but if the art holds up they really do make long term gains.

REDs stability and gradual rise in streaming numbers is a SLAY.

3 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

If FN gets this type of longevity we're looking at a 5 Million + for it.

You mean if she was to release half a dozen new standalone singles to later add to the album? I can see it!

10 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

The 15 singles paid off :clap3:

Your math is off, as usual... and some artists have to work their way up instead of starting out as industry plants with instant radio hits.

She was almost unknown before NR and DL1 had 3 singles after that.

OT: 2x Platinum well deserved :clap3:

12 minutes ago, Godly said:

You mean if she was to release half a dozen new standalone singles to later add to the album? I can see it!

With just 11 tracks she's well on her way to outsell every female that isn't Taylor this year so I'd say you're seeing it already

But I'd love to see your future meltdown in the Future Nostalgia: Side B thread, looking forward to it!

Well done to Dua that’s amazing :clap3:since streamings only growing I can’t wait to see the albums certified diamond purely off of streams.

This is pretty amazing for an album in the streaming era, not to mention the fact that it only had one smash here. :clap3:

See when you do longevity :clap3:

Great numbers and I had no idea it never went above 15.2k for any single week so that makes it even more impressive. :heart:

That 2M figure is heavily bolstered by Complete Edition's total activity. Still solid numbers regardless :clap3:

4 hours ago, mcohen said:

Dua, Taylor, Billie and Ariana leading the way 

gotportugal

4 hours ago, Post Malone said:

The 15 singles paid off :clap3:

but I thought this era was New Rules only in the US?

gotportugal

42 minutes ago, ReverseWarholian said:

That 2M figure is heavily bolstered by Complete Edition's total activity. Still solid numbers regardless :clap3:

considering both New Rules and IDGAF are bigger than any of the singles added on the Complete edition, I think it def boosts, but it isn't the biggest part

gotportugal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.