• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feuxtography

• Almost Home

• suburbannature

• Newt

Just now, suburbannature said:

7k2WF6N.jpg

Namie's artistic vision is basic, she's a better vocalist and dancer sure. But artistically she's very basic compared to ayu, utada and even Kumi. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
suburbannature
Just now, Hongbin said:

Namie's artistic vision is basic, she's a better vocalist and dancer sure. But artistically she's very basic compared to ayu, utada and even Kumi. 

Maybe her last few albums, but not in her peak run. The other girlies seem so generic in comparison, sadly. 

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Maybe her last few albums, but not in her peak run. The other girlies seem so generic in comparison, sadly. 

Ayu, utada and kumi were pushing the envelop way more than namie ever was.

• #FreeBritney Activist
suburbannature
3 minutes ago, Hongbin said:

Ayu, utada and kumi were pushing the envelop way more than namie ever was.

7k2WF6N.jpg

A leading figure of the Japanese entertainment industry since the early 1990s, Amuro is known for breaking the youthful idol stereotype of J-Pop, changing the fashion trends and lifestyle of women in Japan, her experimentation across music styles, and for her visual imagery in music videos and live performances. Due to her career longevity, resilience, professionalism, efforts behind-the-scenes in the music industry, and her way of life, she is a pop culture icon in Japan and Asia.[1][2][3][4] She has been referred to as "Diva of Heisei Era" and the "Queen of Japanese Pop", and has been recognized as having the influence and career impact domestically equivalent to artists such as Janet Jackson and Madonna in Western music and pop culture.[5][6][7][8]

Back to reality.

• ATRL Moderator

ALL of these ladies are absolute QUEENS and literally are iconic legends, but the crown of the QUEEN OF JAPAN has to be Utada, and the sales and accomplishments and longevity have to agree.

Perfume though are the BEST out of all of them. Literally dominating 20 years later or however long it's been. Fucking icons, no one works as hard as them with their live shows. That being said their sound is getting a bit... 

jjkz0zcodiy61.gif

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

7k2WF6N.jpg

Back to reality.

Like I said before she had to retire to be relevant again.

• #FreeBritney Activist
19 minutes ago, Reinvention said:

ALL of these ladies are absolute QUEENS and literally are iconic legends, but the crown of the QUEEN OF JAPAN has to be Utada, and the sales and accomplishments and longevity have to agree.

Perfume though are the BEST out of all of them. Literally dominating 20 years later or however long it's been. ****ing icons, no one works as hard as them with their live shows. That being said their sound is getting a bit... 

jjkz0zcodiy61.gif

Wym? You didn't enjoy Time-u WAP?

Utada's droplets over the last 8 months alone demonstrate that she's the best of the bunch. Imagine being delusional and not believing that.

And I say that while currently bopping to Namie's music 

• #FreeBritney Activist
On 7/22/2021 at 10:39 PM, Newt said:

Utada's droplets over the last 8 months alone demonstrate that she's the best of the bunch. Imagine being delusional and not believing that.

And I say that while currently bopping to Namie's music 

Currently, yes, by far but she was like an Adele in her prime years. Basic. Namie served experimentation and quality in her prime run. Too bad about her last few albums.

Edited by suburbannature
1 hour ago, suburbannature said:

Currently, yes, by far but she was like an Adele in her prime years. Basic. Namie served experimentation and quality in her prime run. Too bad about her last few albums.

You're overstating how good Namie's music used to be and understating the quality Utada has served for decades. 

Quality-wise, Ayumi is the Adele of Japan. Namie is basically Gwen Stefani with a lot more success. Fun/mildly forward thinking/genre bending. Rihanna is another good comparison. 

It's not even worth comparing Utada to anyone. She's carved out her own name and space. She's on a different level. Pop artists can only reach that level when they're heavily involved in their craft (songwriting, lyrics, production, instrumentation, etc). 

• #FreeBritney Activist
10 minutes ago, Newt said:

You're overstating how good Namie's music used to be and understating the quality Utada has served for decades. 

Quality-wise, Ayumi is the Adele of Japan. Namie is basically Gwen Stefani with a lot more success. Fun/mildly forward thinking/genre bending. Rihanna is another good comparison. 

It's not even worth comparing Utada to anyone. She's carved out her own name and space. She's on a different level. Pop artists can only reach that level when they're heavily involved in their craft (songwriting, lyrics, production, instrumentation, etc). 

:ahh: Jpop diva stans are kind of delusional, I’m realizing. 

44 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

:ahh: Jpop diva stans are kind of delusional, I’m realizing. 

Akskdkla girl bye 

This is like when the Rihanna stans thought she was an experimental goddess for throwing in some electric guitar in Rated R :ahh:

• #FreeBritney Activist
Just now, Newt said:

Akskdkla girl bye 

This is like when the Rihanna stans thought she was an experimental goddess for throwing in some electric guitar in Rated R :ahh:

Namie is well-cited as the Madonna/Janet of the JPop girls by music journalists because of her innovation and experimentation. I’m listening to C20 now and it has several industrial rock tracks and she was making mid-2000s hip-hop-infused R&B before most of the American girlies caught on. Utada was cute in an Adele/Celine kind of way, but her music was wildly vanilla and safe. She’s much better now with her droplets.

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Namie is well-cited as the Madonna/Janet of the JPop girls by music journalists because of her innovation and experimentation. I’m listening to C20 now and it has several industrial rock tracks and she was making mid-2000s hip-hop-infused R&B before most of the American girlies caught on. Utada was cute in an Adele/Celine kind of way, but her music was wildly vanilla and safe. She’s much better now with her droplets.

Citing comparisons from music journalists isn't a rigorous argument, nor is it particularly meaningful. 

Utada literally pioneered R&B Music into the mainstream jpop world. What exactly was safe about doing things your own way and everyone following your lead? And after all of the girls jumped on the R&B/hip hop bandwagon, Utada once again did things her way and started making dreamy, ethereal musical landscapes from a mix of a bunch of different genres. Namie was more focused with putting on a show with her music as an entertainer, while Utada was putting out emotionally salient music. Nothing wrong with either approach but its pretty absurd to say that Utada wasn't innovating and making impressive strides in her artistry. Exodus alone is more impressive than anything Namie has ever done in her career (bar Easy Breezy :ahh:).

Utada has touched at least as many genres as Namie ever has. And unlike Namie, she wasn't just singing over Avax Traxs handed to her. You bring up C20, when Namie doesn't have a single credit on the entire album. Namie wasn't making anything back then. I'll give credit to the producer, songwriters and label team before crediting Namie. The only thing she gave to the music were vocals and are we going to pretend her basic vocals were serving anything the other girls couldn't? Utada is nowhere near being a top vocalist, yet she remains one of the most beloved voices in jpop. 

This is a pointless circular argument, because we're just basically talking about musical preferences at this point. You think Utadas old music is basic and I think most of Namies music is basic. Let's just agree to disagree :giraffe:

• #FreeBritney Activist

That retort is essentially, “You’re right, but let’s deflect to writing credits instead.” You can’t just write off actual unbiased, educated music journalists because they disprove your narrative.

Namie was doing R&B before Utada even debuted - and with one of the biggest Japanese albums ever (aka it wasn’t some isolated venture into R&B). 

Sorry, sweetie.

Utada stans have for the longest felt the need to constantly and consistently bring down every other jpop act :rip: they can’t stand the fact that there is more than one successful abd talented female act, literally the liddos of jpop 

OT: Miss Amuro :heart:

• #FreeBritney Activist
3 minutes ago, SupremeGoddess said:

Utada stans have for the longest felt the need to constantly and consistently bring down every other jpop act :rip: they can’t stand the fact that there is more than one successful abd talented female act, literally the liddos of jpop 

I’m picking up on that :rip: 

2 hours ago, SupremeGoddess said:

Oh come on now. This whole thread has been 9 pages of bickering and shade throwing amongst every stan group. 

I've stated multiple times that I enjoy Namie's music for what it is. 

But if someone's gonna claim delusional nonsense (like Utada's music is basic and lacks innovation compared to Namie :rip:), well then they're fishing for a reaction and they're gonna get it. I suppose a hit dog will holler :heart: