• Newt

6 hours ago, Almost Home said:

Namie Amuro> Koda Kumi = Ayumi Hamasaki > nearly everyone in J-Pop > Utada 

Yep Utada is easily the WORST

---

:alexz:

Bad Decisions

Utada > Ayumi > Namie >>>>>>>>>>>> Kumi

I LOVED Kumi at her peak but holy crap when I revisited her discography, I realize she's had some terrible music that do not stand the test of time AT ALL. She has followed the same formula for YEARS and has shown zero artistic growth whatsoever.

I will never take away Ayu's legacy in the J-pop world despite her recent music not being my taste anymore. From LOVEppears all the way to Secret are some of my favourite albums ever + Love Songs. She's very hit or miss these days (mostly miss) but I feel like that's just because she doesn't switch up her team or seek new people out to work with so she has a lot of yes-men around her. 

Ultimately though it's Utada who takes top spot for me. Her music is the very definition of TIMELESS music and she's been consistent throughout her entire career while still sounding fresh and new.

• #FreeBritney Activist

Ayumi for sure

first time I've heard of Namie tho :deadbanana:

but Utada is 2nd imo

however my favs are Perfume :flower:

a whole ass VIBE :jonny5:

Kumi is my ultimate jpop queen, the ero kakoii ICON ! so many bops and the best performer of them, maybe Namie comes close but never saw her lives. 

In terms of what I like from them I'd say: Kumi > Namie = Utada > Ayumi !

This legend :jonny5: the way she showed all korean acts why she's called the QUEEN OF LIVE ! + she's always featured LGBT people in her music videos :heart:

These LGBT anthems, a cultural reset, she truly gave the gays everything they want :jonny5:

Utada is obviously the biggest/most broad appeal, Namie has the most impressive career imo with Ayumi a very close second and Kumi was THAT bitch throughout her best years. 

They are all my faves, but Ayumi is most definitely the biggest one so I voted for her. :mandown:

• #FreeBritney Activist
9 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Utada is easily the most successful out of them all, and probably the most consistent one quality-wise. She's kinda Japanese Adele but with much better music

Namie is an absolute icon and my main j-pop fave, and she's I guess the most fitting to be titled as Japanese Madonna with all her re-inventions. She also has the most consistent career and her retirement was THE MOMENT. I miss her :weeps:

Auymi was massive but she fell off very hard. Koda I guess too but she's never been as huge as any of them I think

So I think: Namie >= Utada > Ayumi > Koda

Ayu is the most successful solo artist and I’d argue only Hibari Misora is as iconic as she is. 

OT: Ayu > Utada > Namie > Kuu. This is objective fact.

• #FreeBritney Activist
8 hours ago, Newt said:

Obviously Utada. She's been releasing quality from the start of her career till now. Darenimo Iwanai literally came out this year and it's one of her best songs. Her ability to challenge herself and evolve is key. 

Ayumi has some excellent music, but she also has some BAD music :rip:some of the worst of the bunch. Shes inconsistent and falls into the same pitfalls over and over. 

Namie is the closest to Utada. Her career progression is impressive and her dedication is admirable. Its good her career ended on a high note, cause her last few releases started getting generic. She is the queen of bops, for sure. Would have loved to see her live 

Koda Kumi shouldn't even be in this poll. We might as well open this up to the lesser girls like AI, Mika Nakashima, Kana, etc. I love some songs from Ms. Kumiko but she's straight up trash on average. The most formulaic of all of them too. 

omg i wasn't expecting so many lashing for koda :rip:

But she definitely deserves to be here. She has a very long career, and completely has her own mold (in japan at least.) No other females out there brave enough to do what Koda did at her peak. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
3 hours ago, Mokichi said:

Kumi is my ultimate jpop queen, the ero kakoii ICON ! so many bops and the best performer of them, maybe Namie comes close but never saw her lives. 

In terms of what I like from them I'd say: Kumi > Namie = Utada > Ayumi !

This legend :jonny5: the way she showed all korean acts why she's called the QUEEN OF LIVE ! + she's always featured LGBT people in her music videos :heart:

These LGBT anthems, a cultural reset, she truly gave the gays everything they want :jonny5:

Ugh, Ko So Ko So is SUCH a bop :jonny: she really out here eating ***** :jonny:

11 hours ago, feuxtography said:

I said what I said! :fish2:

I'm apprehensive of believing this Madonna title. While I do see the evolutions, into a madame x with her last studio album _generic, what risks exactly did Namie take?

Ayumi evolved multiple times, and even had an era dedicated to her mid-life crisis like Madonna as well. Koda pushed every boundary. Namie has bops, but she's kept everything extremely safe throughout her career.

And you couldn't be more wrong! :fish2:

Namie Amuro is the blueprint for female soloists in Japan that followed including Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada. She is the first (and last) Queen of J-Pop who gave female soloists the chance to have the presence in the Japanese musical landscape that they had after her. We're not gonna disrespect her like this. 

Also her musical catalog shows growth and isn't as formulaic like you claim it is in the slightest. You need to take a deep-dive into her discography before spreading these absolute lies! 

Kuu hasn't pushed anything. She's the definition of an artist without actual personality relying on sex appeal and shock value. :fish2:

Edited by Almost Home
11 hours ago, feuxtography said:

Tea.

Did you hear her new song, KKK or whatever. It is mildly decent until she shoe-horns in another damn drop. I really wish she'd attempt something new with a focus on quality, but it just seems out of her ballpark at this point. :doc:

She doesn't have the budget nor the range to do so lets be honest. :coffee2:

Edited by Almost Home
  • #FreeBritney Activist
4 hours ago, Almost Home said:

And you couldn't be more wrong! :fish2:

Namie Amuro is the blueprint for female soloists in Japan that followed including Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada. She is the first (and last) Queen of J-Pop who gave female soloists the chance to have the presence in the Japanese musical landscape that they had after her. We're not gonna disrespect her like this. 

Also her musical catalog shows growth and isn't as formulaic like you claim it is in the slightest. You need to take a deep-dive into her discography before spreading these absolute lies! 

Kuu hasn't pushed anything. She's the definition of an artist without actual personality relying on sex appeal and shock value. :fish2:

I'm going to do another deep dive into Namie! It's been awhile. Refreshing myself on all of Kodas material (until 2014 teehee) and tackling Namie next.

And kuu pushed BUTTONS.mp3, she may be the weakest listed but lets not act like she DIDN'T part the red lips and set the japanese free from sexual shame. :sistrens:

14 minutes ago, Newt said:

The results so far aren't surprising 

Utada was kinda being bodied yesterday, but she's now in the lead. They switch like ****** indeed. :coffee2:

worldwide angel

i thought utada was universally loved :rip: i still have to get into the other three but what i've heard from them was great

for me it would have to be perfume since i wouldn't be a jpop girl without them 

i was hoping kyary would be included because she's also that girl but she's been serving a similar career to that of two specific american pop icons that have a lot of threads dedicated to them :mandown:  and japamyu was kinda not the t. :doc: 

Just now, feuxtography said:

I'm going to do another deep dive into Namie! It's been awhile. Refreshing myself on all of Kodas material (until 2014 teehee) and tackling Namie next.

And kuu pushed BUTTONS.mp3, she may be the weakest listed but lets not act like she DIDN'T part the red lips and set the japanese free from sexual shame. :sistrens:

Namie’s MVs are available on Apple Music and so is her discography. It’s the perfect service for the immersive experience if you’re using it. :celestial6:

A bit off topic I guess but did you see she announced two new mini albums? They are coming in December. :sistrens:

• #FreeBritney Activist
Just now, Almost Home said:

Namie’s MVs are available on Apple Music and so is her discography. It’s the perfect service for the immersive experience if you’re using it. :celestial6:

A bit off topic I guess but did you see she announced two new mini albums? They are coming in December. :sistrens:

Namie did?! No?! Is she already bored of social security checks? :deadbanana4:

4 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Utada was kinda being bodied yesterday, but she's now in the lead. They switch like ****** indeed. :coffee2:

The Utada bots couldn’t take it so they dug up their dusty dupes to vote, duh. :foxaylove2:

Just now, feuxtography said:

Namie did?! No?! Is she already bored of social security checks? :deadbanana4:

Koda Kumi ma’am. I was reply to the second portion of your comment. 

Also Namie still works training young talents actually. :gaycat3:

• #FreeBritney Activist
4 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

i thought utada was universally loved :rip: i still have to get into the other three but what i've heard from them was great

for me it would have to be perfume since i wouldn't be a jpop girl without them 

i was hoping kyary would be included because she's also that girl but she's been serving a similar career to that of two specific american pop icons that have a lot of threads dedicated to them :mandown:  and japamyu was kinda not the t. :doc: 

I didn't include the likes of Kyary and Perfume (legitimately) because stat-wise they're in completely different ranks. I don't follow Japan sales stats too much, but Perfume/Kyary had moments of successful singles and albums but definitely not decades long of records sold like the others. Though, once this thread collects dust I might start up a Kyary vs Perfume vs Capsule thread. :sistrens:

Utada is pretty much universally loved, even outside of jpop fans. ATRL is just full of edge-lords, myself included. :heart:

1 minute ago, feuxtography said:

Utada is pretty much universally loved, even outside of jpop fans. ATRL is just full of edge-lords, myself included. :heart:

Nah, I genuinely got banned off here for dragging her repeatedly years ago. :foxaylove2:

• #FreeBritney Activist
2 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

Koda Kumi ma’am. I was reply to the second portion of your comment. 

Also Namie still works training young talents actually. :gaycat3:

Oh! No I didn't, lemme go scope. Maybe if they're mini's, she can actually edit into something usable. Though her last double project with "~fAcial~" was just twice the BOMBS so I'm expecting nothing. :sistrens:

Starting a trial with apple music. Imma watch Namies eras from start to finish. It's going to be like, a week long of namie. :rip: