192 members have voted

1. 1. Why do i have to put a question into both fields

• Ayumi Hamasaki
    • Namie Amuro
    • Koda Kumi
    • Utada Hikaru
    • Perfume (teehee!)

11 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

And Koda didn't start flopping until after Bon Voyage for me. Though each album since then has a few highlights. But yes, she was the choreo queen, and she's still...she's still making stuff lets just say that.

Thoughts and prayers. :heart:

Koda Kumi hasn’t had a decent album since JAPONESQUE. :skull: 

The fact she’s had six albums since with the same tired shtick. :pukey: 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feuxtography

• Almost Home

• suburbannature

• Newt

• #FreeBritney Activist
3 minutes ago, Mirrorcle said:

YES, I really like Suzuki Ami when she worked with Yasutaka Nakata but she kinda fell off quickly after 3rd Avex album. I thought I would never hear anymore electropop but Perfume (Polyrhythm) came out and I just loved them instantly.

Her most iconic PV is still M although Part of Me is arguably her best one. 

Nakata is god. I actually listened to Capsule before Perfume, I really wish he would continue with another album under that project. I miss them.

I'll switch it to M, though yes, Part of Me is gorgeous. :jonny: 

In terms of quality I definitely prefer Utada over the rest, I like some of Namie's and Koda's but Ayumi's discog is super hit or miss, and with me unfortunately the majority of it is a miss :skull:

Sheena's elevator tunes >>>> :heart2:

• #FreeBritney Activist
4 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

Thoughts and prayers. :heart:

Koda Kumi hasn’t had a decent album since JAPONESQUE. :skull: 

The fact she’s had six albums since with the same tired shtick. :pukey: 

Yeah, Japonesque was definitely her last solid piece of work, though I enjoy some of the songs on Bon Voyaje.

The absolute TRAVESTY that was Walk of My Life and everything after it. DUD after DUD after DUD

BEc.gif

13 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Namie's Feel has a special place in my heart, and I put it up there with the strongest pop albums of the 2010's. Though my fave song by her is baby dont cry. As an actual talent, she's the least impressive though. The JLO of japan. :sistrens:

The absolute audacity. :coffee2:

She’s recognised as the Madonna of Japan and it’s not a title the user came up with and it is a fitting one for such an evolving and long-lasting Queen. :clap3:

Edited by Almost Home
  • #FreeBritney Activist
1 minute ago, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq said:

In terms of quality I definitely prefer Utada over the rest, I like some of Namie's and Koda's but Ayumi's discog is super hit or miss, and with me unfortunately the majority of it is a miss :skull:

Sheena's elevator tunes >>>> :heart2:

Sheena is god tier. I thought about including her, but I didn't want to hear any dissenters. 

I mean? No one else. How you say...twas a cultural reset? 

13 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Not me calling Namie the japanese JLO and you giving her the coveted Madonna title. :deadbanana4: Ayumi gives me more of a madonna-like career. But I do see how much Namie transformed throughout her career. I did kinda legit cry with her retirement, all these ladies were pivotal in my music library growing up. :jonny2: Plus it was two years after 2NE1 jumped the shark and I felt like all my teenage heroes were dying. :deadbanana4:

Well JLo has always been all about celebrity, music was secondary. With Namie it's clearly not the case, even though she does share a similarity with JLo in a way that performing was their forte. In terms of reinventing herself and outlasting her competition, Namie is clearly the closest to Madonna out of them all. Ayumi is more similar to Britney in a way that she was massive but then media turned on her and she declined severely. I'm not talking about their talents rather than their career trajectories 

• #FreeBritney Activist
2 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

The absolute audacity. :coffee2:

She’s recognised as the Madonna of Japan and it’s not a title the user came up with and it is a fitting title for such an evolving and long-lasting Queen. :clap3:

I said what I said! :fish2:

I'm apprehensive of believing this Madonna title. While I do see the evolutions, into a madame x with her last studio album _generic, what risks exactly did Namie take?

Ayumi evolved multiple times, and even had an era dedicated to her mid-life crisis like Madonna as well. Koda pushed every boundary. Namie has bops, but she's kept everything extremely safe throughout her career.

2 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Yeah, Japonesque was definitely her last solid piece of work, though I enjoy some of the songs on Bon Voyaje.

The absolute TRAVESTY that was Walk of My Life and everything after it. DUD after DUD after DUD

BEc.gif

Some uninspired ballad, same party girl track, same generic electropop track with a half baked drop and one without even that. Throw in some random titles and filler midtempos and you got yourself the latest Kuu album of whichever year it’s dropping. :pukey:

3 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Sheena is god tier. I thought about including her, but I didn't want to hear any dissenters. 

I mean? No one else. How you say...twas a cultural reset? 

QUALITY, god I love her discog, most of the new girls simply aint doing it like they used to. :jonny6:

• #FreeBritney Activist
2 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Well JLo has always been all about celebrity, music was secondary. With Namie it's clearly not the case, even though she does share a similarity with JLo in a way that performing was their forte. In terms of reinventing herself and outlasting her competition, Namie is clearly the closest to Madonna out of them all. Ayumi is more similar to Britney in a way that she was massive but then media turned on her and she declined severely. I'm not talking about their talents rather than their career trajectories 

Hmmm, well you paint a distinct picture. I guess I never personally saw Namie as madonna esque. 

When madonna is used as a reference, I always assume it's the buttons she pushed, the thematic era's, and then success and longevity. Namie only checks that last box for me.

Ayumi as britney? I've heard it all. :deadbanana2:

I remember when people called Kana the britney of japan. :ahh: 

• #FreeBritney Activist
18 minutes ago, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq said:

QUALITY, god I love her discog, most of the new girls simply aint doing it like they used to. :jonny6:

Ugh, which song did you post? It's not available in my country. I mean, whatever you posted, I know you're right. :jonny6:

Her discog is so impeccable that I truly can't pick a favorite. From rock to jazz, there is a Ringo album perfect for your mood. 

Edited by feuxtography
12 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Hmmm, well you paint a distinct picture. I guess I never personally saw Namie as madonna esque. 

When madonna is used as a reference, I always assume it's the buttons she pushed, the thematic era's, and then success and longevity. Namie only checks that last box for me.

Well the thematic era's is also what Namie pulled off effectively, she went from 90s eurobeat-inspired dance pop to R&B and Hip-hop, then fused it with modern pop (one of her albums is titled "Queen of Hip-pop" after all) then went to electropop then to EDM. Her late-career stuff was a bit scattered though.

7 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Ayumi as britney? I've heard it all. :deadbanana2:

I remember when people called Kana the britney of japan. :ahh: 

Spoiler

I completely forgot that she existed omg. I used to love her so much before Katy Perry.

Distance was the last song I heard from her.  Kana is definitely the queen of digital era.

My personal favorite song is Dear...

• #FreeBritney Activist
12 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

Some uninspired ballad, same party girl track, same generic electropop track with a half baked drop and one without even that. Throw in some random titles and filler midtempos and you got yourself the latest Kuu album of whichever year it’s dropping. :pukey:

Tea.

Did you hear her new song, KKK or whatever. It is mildly decent until she shoe-horns in another damn drop. I really wish she'd attempt something new with a focus on quality, but it just seems out of her ballpark at this point. :doc:

• #FreeBritney Activist
6 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Well the thematic era's is also what Namie pulled off effectively, she went from 90s eurobeat-inspired dance pop to R&B and Hip-hop, then fused it with modern pop (one of her albums is titled "Queen of Hip-pop" after all) then went to electropop then to EDM. Her late-career stuff was a bit scattered though.

Hmmm, I may need to do another visit into a structured Namie rabbithole throughout the years. My favorite songs are placed everywhere throughout her catalog, so maybe I didn't appreciate the full MV - album aesthetic of it all. :giraffe:

Ayumi Hamasaki will forever be my J-Pop queen :'( her lyricism was always on a whole other level. Her love of music is so beautiful. 

And yas at the Perfume stanning! 

• #FreeBritney Activist
20 minutes ago, Mirrorcle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I completely forgot that she existed omg. I used to love her so much before Katy Perry.

Distance was the last song I heard from her.  Kana is definitely the queen of digital era.

My personal favorite song is Dear...

nnn yes, Kana definitely has some great songs. Her albums are full of so much fluff though, one of the reasons I could have never stanned her.

I haven't caught up with her stuff though, Distance is probably the last time I checked in too. :rip:

Yes! Dear is great, so is Best Friend. A wholesome queen!

Technically Ayumi is the best selling female artist in Japan, but she peaked a while back whereas Utada and Namie have (had* for Namie) more consistent careers...although Utada took more breaks so maybe that’s why her sales have remained stronger. Ayu and Kuu have new releases almost every year. 

Utada>Ayumi>Namie>Yui

Kodak is trash omg. Releasing the same **** over and over again.

Yui should be in this convo since she was the Japanese Taylor.

Edited by Hivy

Obviously Utada. She's been releasing quality from the start of her career till now. Darenimo Iwanai literally came out this year and it's one of her best songs. Her ability to challenge herself and evolve is key. 

Ayumi has some excellent music, but she also has some BAD music :rip:some of the worst of the bunch. Shes inconsistent and falls into the same pitfalls over and over. 

Namie is the closest to Utada. Her career progression is impressive and her dedication is admirable. Its good her career ended on a high note, cause her last few releases started getting generic. She is the queen of bops, for sure. Would have loved to see her live 

Koda Kumi shouldn't even be in this poll. We might as well open this up to the lesser girls like AI, Mika Nakashima, Kana, etc. I love some songs from Ms. Kumiko but she's straight up trash on average. The most formulaic of all of them too.