192 members have voted

1. 1. Why do i have to put a question into both fields

• Ayumi Hamasaki
    • Namie Amuro
    • Koda Kumi
    • Utada Hikaru
    • Perfume (teehee!)

• #FreeBritney Activist

Alright sisters, I've included the most iconic JPOP queens of our time. Since there's so much catalog to go over, I'm just going to use lead singles in the OP.

But ultimately, now that all these girls have decades of career to review, who ultimately comes out on top?

Ayumi Hamasaki:

Namie Amuro:

Koda Kumi:

Utada Hikaru:

Feel free to post better vids of your JPOP queen in question. :coffee2:

BaPWuMcCUAAU_HQ.jpg

Edited by feuxtography
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feuxtography

• Almost Home

• suburbannature

• Newt

Namie of course. She was the teen queen in the 90s, got knocked up and had a shotgun wedding and people wrote her off as a flop. Then she came back and delivered the highest sales of her career. She retired at the absolute peak of her career. None of those other girls compares to her. 

Koda gets my vote, she’s the hottest and Japonesque alone solidified her a spot in the history books. Utada would be my second choice, with Namie third.

Perfume really is the supreme jpop act, though. :fan:

• #FreeBritney Activist
4 minutes ago, johnny_9ss said:

Namie of course. She was the teen queen in the 90s, got knocked up and had a shotgun wedding and people wrote her off as a flop. Then she came back and delivered the highest sales of her career. She retired at the absolute peak of her career. None of those other girls compares to her. 

Yes, Namie is indeed the everlasting icon. Though she was kind of giving madonna teas on her last album before retirement. _generic wasn't her best, she should have ended with Feel.

That being said, doesn't Utada still hold the first week album sales record, something Adele is only second to? Or are my receipts expired? :coffee2:

• #FreeBritney Activist
58 minutes ago, Anthem said:

Koda gets my vote, she’s the hottest and Japonesque alone solidified her a spot in the history books. Utada would be my second choice, with Namie third.

Perfume really is the supreme jpop act, though. :fan:

I mean, Koda kind of gets looked over despite inventing sex in Japan. It's a shame.

She's also the girl with the weakest recent catalog imo. But she did have a glorious decade and a half.

And yes, Perfume is the obvious answer, but I wanted to make it fair for the other girlies. :sistrens:

Can anyone suggest me their favorite songs/videos from everyone listed? I only know Utada and wanna educate myself :giraffe:

All of them are incredible talented but my favorite is Ayumi.
She's lovely,full interaction with fans,amazing tours,amazing vocals,videography,amazing albums,lgbti fighter :gaycat1:
But if we talk about queens. Namie was the first big Jpop diva and Ayumi-Koda-Utada have a career thanks to her. 

We need JPOP discussion thread too!

Ayumi Hamasaki ultimately but I stan all them all! plus, SPEED, Ayaka, Yuna Ito, Ami Suzuki, miwa, Ai Otsuka, Misia, BoA, Alan, Shina Ringo, YUI, DAI, ELT, Dream, and many more.

Media was very ruthless towards Ayumi since her 1st divorce so I felt bad for her. She will always be my #1 artist. No one could ever replace her. :heart:

• #FreeBritney Activist
44 minutes ago, Kim Petrat said:

Can anyone suggest me their favorite songs/videos from everyone listed? I only know Utada and wanna educate myself :giraffe:

Ayumi: 

Real Me and the album it belongs to is by far my favorite Ayumi. But she has so many era's, all with different genre's. She's also queen of the gays, so if you go down the Ayumi rabbit hole you're bound to find hot videos of naked guys all over eachother. :jonny:

Namie also has so many great era's that it's really hard to pinpoint her best. I highly reccomend getting into her Feel album, as it was her most "current" global pop sound and there's a lot of english. This song is actually produced by Zedd!

Koda Kumi is kind of the queen of dance pop, and any of her albums in the last 12 years are great starting points. I personally love her albums Deja Vu and Japonesque the most! Though Bon Voyage has some major bops too!

Extra credit: Perfume like, invented electropop and are the best artists in the WORLD. Ever. It's just facts. You can literally start ANYWHERE in their discog and be treated with dopamine straight into your brain. 

Edited by feuxtography
  • #FreeBritney Activist
11 minutes ago, Mirrorcle said:

We need JPOP discussion thread too!

Ayumi Hamasaki ultimately but I stan all them all! plus, SPEED, Ayaka, Yuna Ito, Ami Suzuki, miwa, Ai Otsuka, Misia, BoA, Alan, Shina Ringo, YUI, DAI, ELT, Dream, and many more.

Media was very ruthless towards Ayumi since her 1st divorce so I felt bad for her. She will always be my #1 artist. No one could ever replace her. :heart:

There is one! Unfortunately it dies pretty quickly. :cries: JPOP is my fave so its kind of a bummer, but, it is what it is!

My ultimate JPOP artists are Perfume and Shina Ringo. They are so important to me and I've been listening to them for over 10 years, all of my young to adult life. :jonny: Shiina is an absolute LEGEND and I am convinced she's one of the most talented humans on the planet. :jonny5:

Yes, Ayumi has been stricken with quite the tough life for an artist of her caliber. Plus she will most likely be deaf soon. But she still presses on! :cries:

Sweet Sexy Savage

The Utada erasure in this thread :rip:

There’s a reason why she had crossover appeal over the other girls, but Ayumi came close and she had great music, while Utada’s music and voice just transcends.... :jonny6:

1 hour ago, feuxtography said:

I mean, Koda kind of gets looked over despite inventing sex in Japan. It's a shame.

She's also the girl with the weakest recent catalog imo. But she did have a glorious decade and a half.

And yes, Perfume is the obvious answer, but I wanted to make it fair for the other girlies. :sistrens:

I loved this song :jonny5:Koda Kumi gets my vote. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
3 minutes ago, Ryuuchan_X said:

I loved this song :jonny5:Koda Kumi gets my vote. 

When she takes a whole beer bottle up her ***** :jonny: 

queen TINGZ :jonny: 

• #FreeBritney Activist

Changed the song in OP for Ayu from Brillante to Real Me. While Brillante is my faaaave ayumi song, i felt it wasn't fair to show off a ballad in comparison to the others.

If there are any ayu STANS who have a better example in mind, lemme know! 

• #FreeBritney Activist
10 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

The Utada erasure in this thread :rip:

There’s a reason why she had crossover appeal over the other girls, but Ayumi came close and she had great music, while Utada’s music and voice just transcends.... :jonny6:

Im kinda gagged tbh since Utada is like, THE jpop superstar, but I aint going to say anything because she deserves to be knocked off her high horse. :heart:

Namie >= Utada > Ayumi > Koda

Namie & Utada both have great discography

It's a shame how much the quality of Ayumi's music declined after Rock'n'Roll Circus

Koda is the best performer out of these four but her discography is weak comparing to others. Also her peak lasted too short

Edited by Mythology
Sweet Sexy Savage
4 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Im kinda gagged tbh since Utada is like, THE jpop superstar, but I aint going to say anything because she deserves to be knocked off her high horse. :heart:

Out of each respective jpop girl’s latest(kii) release from the OP, Fantôme did that and several times over was the best selling release in Japan of that year and critically acclaimed. The Japanese Adele before Adele:michael:

Edited by Sweet Sexy Savage

Utada by far. She has 3 albums among the Top 10 best-selling Japanese albums of all time.

Her primarily singer-songwriter image helped her sell this much without adopting the typical glittery/dramatic idol image.

Edited by skyandground

In terms of who I prefer:

Ayumi > Utada > Namie > Kumi

Ayumi peaked in the 2000s musically, but she released so many amazing albums before she fell off.  Plus she has incredible tours and videos. Utada has been the most consistent commercially and quality wise. Namie pulled off a huge comeback and reinvented herself consistently, even if I'm not a huge fan of her later stuff. Kumi has some good albums, but she's not on the same level as the other three.

Utada is easily the most successful out of them all, and probably the most consistent one quality-wise. She's kinda Japanese Adele but with much better music

Namie is an absolute icon and my main j-pop fave, and she's I guess the most fitting to be titled as Japanese Madonna with all her re-inventions. She also has the most consistent career and her retirement was THE MOMENT. I miss her :weeps:

Auymi was massive but she fell off very hard. Koda I guess too but she's never been as huge as any of them I think

So I think: Namie >= Utada > Ayumi > Koda

Edited by bestfiction
  • #FreeBritney Activist
18 minutes ago, Mythology said:

Namie > Utada > Ayumi > Koda

Namie & Utada both have great discography

It's a shame how much the quality of Ayumi's music declined after Rock'n'Roll Circus

Koda is the best performer out of these four but her discography is weak comparing to others

Personally, I think Party Queen was her MDMA and she's been off the rails since. 

And Koda didn't start flopping until after Bon Voyage for me. Though each album since then has a few highlights. But yes, she was the choreo queen, and she's still...she's still making stuff lets just say that.

14 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Out of each respective jpop girl’s latest(kii) release from the OP, Fantôme did that and several times over was the best selling release in Japan of that year and critically acclaimed. The Japanese Adele before Adele:michael:

Yes, out of all of the above Utada has served nothing but quality. Honestly, none of the girls are ever going to match Ultra Blue in quality. Even western artists can't. :sistrens:

• #FreeBritney Activist
16 minutes ago, skyandground said:

Utada by far. She has 3 albums among the Top 10 best-selling Japanese albums of all time.

Her primarily singer-songwriter image helped her sell this much without adopting the typical glittery/dramatic idol image.

She held the record for album sales of all time from 2001 - 2015 until Adele stomp stomp stomped. 

To be fair to all of the above, the only one who really had an "idol" image was namie. Ayumi has always been a force, and Koda was like, the first and only pop star to push an ultra sexual image to the mainstream. Definitely not "idol." 

• #FreeBritney Activist
17 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

Namie Amuro> Koda Kumi = Ayumi Hamasaki > nearly everyone in J-Pop > Utada 

:deadbanana4:

11 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

In terms of who I prefer:

Ayumi > Utada > Namie > Kumi

Ayumi peaked in the 2000s musically, but she released so many amazing albums before she fell off.  Plus she has incredible tours and videos. Utada has been the most consistent commercially and quality wise. Namie pulled off a huge comeback and reinvented herself consistently, even if I'm not a huge fan of her later stuff. Kumi has some good albums, but she's not on the same level as the other three.

Namie's Feel has a special place in my heart, and I put it up there with the strongest pop albums of the 2010's. Though my fave song by her is baby dont cry. As an actual talent, she's the least impressive though. The JLO of japan. :sistrens:

5 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Utada is easily the most successful out of them all, and probably the most consistent one quality-wise. She's kinda Japanese Adele but with much better music

Namie is an absolute icon and my main j-pop fave, and she's I guess the most fitting to be titled as Japanese Madonna with all her re-inventions. She also has the most consistent career and her retirement was THE MOMENT. I miss her :weeps:

Auymi was massive but she fell off very hard. Koda I guess too but she's never been as huge as any of them I think

So I think: Namie >= Utada > Ayumi > Koda

Not me calling Namie the japanese JLO and you giving her the coveted Madonna title. :deadbanana4: Ayumi gives me more of a madonna-like career. But I do see how much Namie transformed throughout her career. I did kinda legit cry with her retirement, all these ladies were pivotal in my music library growing up. :jonny2: Plus it was two years after 2NE1 jumped the shark and I felt like all my teenage heroes were dying. :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, feuxtography said:

There is one! Unfortunately it dies pretty quickly. :cries: JPOP is my fave so its kind of a bummer, but, it is what it is!

My ultimate JPOP artists are Perfume and Shina Ringo. They are so important to me and I've been listening to them for over 10 years, all of my young to adult life. :jonny: Shiina is an absolute LEGEND and I am convinced she's one of the most talented humans on the planet. :jonny5:

Yes, Ayumi has been stricken with quite the tough life for an artist of her caliber. Plus she will most likely be deaf soon. But she still presses on! :cries:

YES, I really like Suzuki Ami when she worked with Yasutaka Nakata but she kinda fell off quickly after 3rd Avex album. I thought I would never hear anymore electropop but Perfume (Polyrhythm) came out and I just loved them instantly.

23 minutes ago, feuxtography said:

Changed the song in OP for Ayu from Brillante to Real Me. While Brillante is my faaaave ayumi song, i felt it wasn't fair to show off a ballad in comparison to the others.

If there are any ayu STANS who have a better example in mind, lemme know! 

Her most iconic PV is still M although Part of Me is arguably her best one.