naval23

Why was Kelly's "Breakaway" era so impactful?

plumbartist

Talent 

Acclaim

Beauty

Success

:gaygacat4:

Schami66
52 minutes ago, Genius1111 said:

SUBG is the reason why I got into English music in the first place.

Same! I remember listening to this album over and over again with a dictionary in hand, because I wanted to understand what she sings about.

Alexz
4 hours ago, Ghiles said:

I don't know but she completely imploded after this era and it remains her only notable success to this day which leads me to think it was mostly just luck.

My Life Would Suck Without You was a comeback for her.

JoeAg

You Found Me deserved to be sixth single :jonny2:

07tandu

Great song. Avril is an underrated songwriter tbh.

Angelo

Because she was inspired by Avril Lavigne? 

AvrilLaQueen

Ughhh Breakaway was such a great Avril Lavigne inspired record :jonny5:

You Found Me and I Hate Myself For Losing You are my fave non-singles :heart:

Her biggest era to date. Because of You is a global classic :worship2:

Rev8
11 hours ago, Likingstars said:

She was at her peak but Clive decided to sabotage her My December era, eventually killed her momentum from Breakaway :monkey:

11 hours ago, MissedTheTrain said:

She's talked about how she worked herself into a bad depression by the end of Breakaway and it seems like she just didn't want that level of fame anymore.  But even then, Clive Davis 100% sabotaged her next album and didn't even give it a chance to reach its full potential.  She still had a very respectable level of consistent success afterwards, which is honestly rare for an artist like Kelly who isn't your typical Pop star.  

-My December still had a Top 10 hit single and sold okay, despite the sabotage.

-All I Ever Wanted went #1 and had a record breaking #1 hit as well as two other decent hit singles, a Grammy nom, and sold decently.

-Stronger went Platinum, had two Top 10 hits (one of them being a #1, one of her biggest hits to date) and won a Grammy as well as 3 other noms

-Her Greatest Hits had a hit single and did well.

-Wrapped In Red was a very big success, and still sells every year.  The year it came out, it was selling over 100k every week for weeks

-Piece By Piece went #1, had 3 Grammy noms, and two hit singles (one of them a Top 10), also her biggest tour to date at that time

-Meaning of Life didn't do as well, but it doesn't feel like an utter bomb or anything tbh, mainly because it's considered her best album by many and it was such a fresh sound for her.  It did have two Grammy noms, the first single went Platinum, and her biggest tour to date :cm:

Oh well..she will be remembered anyways

but Gosh Clive is such a piece of **** :deadbanana:why do these men love to do dirty stuff like that

But yea! Her longevity is really underrated!

6 Plat albums (1 of em not certified for some reason) and 1 gold (+1 GH)

when some girlies have a hard time passing the 4th album curse. She even has at least 1 hit on every one of em :clap3:

Just surprised that her switching from RCA to Atlantic made her numbers drop :rip: usually running from RCA is a good thing

MissedTheTrain
2 hours ago, Rev8 said:

Oh well..she will be remembered anyways

but Gosh Clive is such a piece of **** :deadbanana:why do these men love to do dirty stuff like that

But yea! Her longevity is really underrated!

6 Plat albums (1 of em not certified for some reason) and 1 gold (+1 GH)

when some girlies have a hard time passing the 4th album curse. She even has at least 1 hit on every one of em :clap3:

Just surprised that her switching from RCA to Atlantic made her numbers drop :rip: usually running from RCA is a good thing

I think it was a good thing for her personally to be able to finally do what she wants music-wise, but they kinda dropped the ball a bit with the era rollout...they didn't give her any streaming/playlist promo and didn't push her songs at radio :rip: 

EnterTheAttic

TABS. 

Breakaway along with Fallen and I'm Not Dead are the three albums of the 00s where there are NO SKIPS. 

FAN

She literally HATED being a main pop girl and purposely released My December and did her way so she wouldn’t be that big anymore. She almost killed herself during that time. Promo everywhere and anywhere and four massive tours. When that era was done she vowed to never go through it again. Her label wanted her 3rd album to be a massive followup which is why there was such a fallout when she straight up refused.

Outlaws

It was perfection. Still sounds sooo fresh to this day.