naval23

Why was Kelly's "Breakaway" era so impactful?

naval23

A brunette haired woman with her hands covering her ears in a grunge white background, in her right, the words "Kelly Clarkson" and "Breakaway" are printed in front of a vector scroll art.

• Clive Davis recalled that "with the songs "Since U Been Gone" and "Because of You", we were able to take Clarkson to a major seller of albums all over the world where they had never even heard of American Idol
  • Clarkson was the most played radio artist of 2006
  • Billboard credits Clarkson for landscaping the core sound of mainstream pop music in 2000s which was traditionally R&B/Hip-Hop dominated in the early 2000s
  • The album ended up selling 12M+ WW with over 6M in the USA alone
  • It won Grammy Awards for "Best Pop Vocal Album" and "Best Pop Vocal Performance" for "Since U Been Gone"

Ghiles

I don't know but she completely imploded after this era and it remains her only notable success to this day which leads me to think it was mostly just luck.

Jaay

She had PERFECT singles that era.

byzantium

She released good music. 

Just now, Ghiles said:

I don't know but she completely imploded after this era and it remains her only notable success to this day which leads me to think it was mostly just luck.

All I Ever Wanted and Stronger did pretty well.  My december was quite a roadblock though. 

alanmontes

Jam after jam! This album brings so many good memories 

Arcadius
12 minutes ago, Ghiles said:

Stronger was definitely a nice era and gave her one of her biggest hits and another Grammy I believe. 

Edited by Arcadius

Rev8

It's odd that she couldn't retain that success

still had hits and albums sold fair..but didn't come close like At All..

but oh wow, I am listening to these songs and :jonny: the Talent

Walk Away is the odd one from the bunch, but also my fav!

Likingstars
23 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

She was at her peak but Clive decided to sabotage her My December era, eventually killed her momentum from Breakaway :monkey:

Genie in a Bottle

It was the combination of her vocal prowess, killer live performances, and Max & Luke’s songwriting that made the album a smash hit, along with the other well-written singles. She would’ve been the original Katy Perry had she gotten along with Luke, which she didn’t. Clive Davis wanted Max & Luke to make her entire follow up album and truthfully i don’t think she ever wanted to be THAT big and couldn’t handle the fame and pressure. She was literally the biggest popstar in the entire world from 2005-2006. She was super depressed during My December and I think the insane superstardom that came with the Breakaway era exhausted her mentally, along with having to fight tooth and nail with her label to not work with Luke in the future, which she ended up losing that battle as she returned to #1 with, a Dr Luke song, in 2009. 

Ab1818

Talent, right singles, and a bit of a departure from Thankful. For someone that originally wanted to be a back up singer and has never wanted to be the biggest pop star in the world, she did amazing. Didn’t have a #1 song for that era, but MLWSWY and Stronger just added to her longevity. And now killing it with her own show :clap3:

mikeyace16

TABS. And people thought Some Hearts was a bigger era :bibliahh:

RULES

Really this is the only era from her i remember 

MissedTheTrain
1 hour ago, Ghiles said:

That's not true at all.  This was her only HUGE era, sure, but she has had plenty of respectable success since then.  Each album afterwards had at least one Top 10 hit, up until Meaning of Life (but that album still got 2 Grammy noms and was her best work).  Not many artists can say they've stayed consistently successful to that extent for that long.

53 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

but oh wow, I am listening to these songs and :jonny: the Talent

Walk Away is the odd one from the bunch, but also my fav!

She's talked about how she worked herself into a bad depression by the end of Breakaway and it seems like she just didn't want that level of fame anymore.  But even then, Clive Davis 100% sabotaged her next album and didn't even give it a chance to reach its full potential.  She still had a very respectable level of consistent success afterwards, which is honestly rare for an artist like Kelly who isn't your typical Pop star.  

-My December still had a Top 10 hit single and sold okay, despite the sabotage.

-All I Ever Wanted went #1 and had a record breaking #1 hit as well as two other decent hit singles, a Grammy nom, and sold decently.

-Stronger went Platinum, had two Top 10 hits (one of them being a #1, one of her biggest hits to date) and won a Grammy as well as 3 other noms

-Her Greatest Hits had a hit single and did well.

-Wrapped In Red was a very big success, and still sells every year.  The year it came out, it was selling over 100k every week for weeks

-Piece By Piece went #1, had 3 Grammy noms, and two hit singles (one of them a Top 10), also her biggest tour to date at that time

-Meaning of Life didn't do as well, but it doesn't feel like an utter bomb or anything tbh, mainly because it's considered her best album by many and it was such a fresh sound for her.  It did have two Grammy noms, the first single went Platinum, and her biggest tour to date :cm:

Both Sides Now

An iconic era :clap3:

DaddyIssuesX

The way she served back to back hits with no signs of stopping :jonny2: I get she felt the need to make My December but if she decided to drop it a bit later and listen to her label she would’ve dominated the 2000’s.

Prison

What a legendary era :clap3: 

Bloo
1 hour ago, Ghiles said:

giphy.gif

grAntVRIL

walk away probably the weakest single from this era. i remember when i thot it was pink that sang it

RealityBites
1 hour ago, MissedTheTrain said:

That's not true at all.  This was her only HUGE era, sure, but she has had plenty of respectable success since then.  Each album afterwards had at least one Top 10 hit, up until Meaning of Life (but that album still got 2 Grammy noms and was her best work).  Not many artists can say they've stayed consistently successful to that extent for that long.

She's talked about how she worked herself into a bad depression by the end of Breakaway and it seems like she just didn't want that level of fame anymore.  But even then, Clive Davis 100% sabotaged her next album and didn't even give it a chance to reach its full potential.  She still had a very respectable level of consistent success afterwards, which is honestly rare for an artist like Kelly who isn't your typical Pop star.  

-My December still had a Top 10 hit single and sold okay, despite the sabotage.

-All I Ever Wanted went #1 and had a record breaking #1 hit as well as two other decent hit singles, a Grammy nom, and sold decently.

-Stronger went Platinum, had two Top 10 hits (one of them being a #1, one of her biggest hits to date) and won a Grammy as well as 3 other noms

-Her Greatest Hits had a hit single and did well.

-Wrapped In Red was a very big success, and still sells every year.  The year it came out, it was selling over 100k every week for weeks

-Piece By Piece went #1, had 3 Grammy noms, and two hit singles (one of them a Top 10), also her biggest tour to date at that time

-Meaning of Life didn't do as well, but it doesn't feel like an utter bomb or anything tbh, mainly because it's considered her best album by many and it was such a fresh sound for her.  It did have two Grammy noms, the first single went Platinum, and her biggest tour to date :cm:

This

RealityBites
1 hour ago, DaddyIssuesX said:

The way she served back to back hits with no signs of stopping :jonny2: I get she felt the need to make My December but if she decided to drop it a bit later and listen to her label she would’ve dominated the 2000’s.

She honestly never wanted to be the biggest pop star in the world. She’s said it before and everyone around her wanted that. She fired her manager because he wanted her to be the biggest pop star and his ideas didn’t match hers. She was burned out. 

tombiz

tenor.gif

kelly-clarkson
3 hours ago, Ghiles said:

Breakaway was by far her most successful era, but calling it her only notable success is a lie :skull:

Kelly had more hits after that era. She has 3 Billboard Hot 100 #1s (and none of them are from the Breakaway era), so calling it her only notable success is a reach.

newwil7l
2 hours ago, mikeyace16 said:

TABS. And people thought Some Hearts was a bigger era :bibliahh:

It was in the states.

Victon

Early 2000s was the era of pop rock (especially female lead) 

We got :

Avril 

P!nk

Evanescence

And in the US (Michelle Branch)

And the lesser one Ashlee Simpson

Back then music is still exclusive and people actually must buy the albums to enjoy their music. 

So it's successful because that's what selling of course with the talents, good songs and singles. 

Genius1111

Ughm this is the album of the century (the first 20 years, at least)

SUBG is the reason why I got into English music in the first place.

BTHE is the best song in the 21st century. :ihype: