Ampersand13

Any Guesses in Regards to What Taylor's 'Hoax' Lyrics Mean?

Ampersand13

So, if you still have a pulse then you know TayLord released one of her magnum opuses this past July. The closing track on the standard is a haunting ballad entitled, Hoax. 

The lyrics are fairly straightforward and detail the struggles of her relationship presumably with current boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. 

The part I am most curious about is in the bridge. The lyrics are as follows: "But what you did was just as dark. Darlin this was just as hard as when they pulled me apart."

Give your best theory as to what Joe did that was "just as dark" as when everyone and their mother painted Swift to be the devil during the reputation era. I'm interested to hear y'alls thoughts :jamming:

shookspeare

I never thought it was about Joe tbh, why do you think so?

anyway it's an album highlight for sure, yet this tasteless site voted it off in the first survivor round. a nightmare

Ampersand13
Just now, shookspeare said:

anyway it's an album highlight for sure, yet this tasteless site voted it off in the first survivor round. a nightmare

Because she says throughout the song 'my only one' 'don't want no other shade of blue but you' 'you knew the password so I let you in the door' I don't know, I guess I just assumed they were lyrics about a romantic relationship but on second thought maybe they aren't. Maybe it's about Scott? 

Ampersand13
6 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

Also tea about the tasteless, Hoax is a HIGHLIGHT :jamming: though it took me a few weeks to see that

Both Sides Now

I’ve interpreted it as it was simply dark for him to make her fall in love and need him so much. She’s now dependent on him which is something she tried to resist for several months (Getaway Car/Gorgeous/Cruel Summer) before finally giving in and trusting him (KOMH/Delicate/Cornelia Street). He made her open up and fall in love again which is the “tearing her apart”. She didn’t want to fall in love but she did anyway which is the “dark” part of what he did. 

She also uses the metaphor of faith in False God about Joe. She is devoted to him to the extent that she views their love as a religion. Love itself may well be a hoax/false god but she has succumbed to it and believes in it with Joe, against her better judgement. 

Great song. Unfortunately not often heard because Peace causes people to turn off the album

BNMQzLR.gif

bluebirdsforever

I actually have a theory hoax is from Betty’s perspective after James cheats on her and ties up that arc, chronologically taking place before cardigan (which is her wistfully looking back on the relationship when she’s older - hoax is the immediate aftermath):

”Your heartbeat on the High Line, once in twenty lifetimes” / “You know I left a part of me back in New York”

But then there’s also lines like the ones you mentioned that feel very much about Taylor’s own life (plus references to blue are pretty much her signifier for Joe at this point - “deep blue but you painted me golden” / “it’s blue, the feeling I got” / “I’m with you even if makes me blue”)

I find hoax so fascinating because I don’t think we’ll ever truly solve it, nor do I think she’ll ever perform it live. It’s almost like it’s an amalgamation of her and Betty melded together. It’s the last song on the standard edition for a reason, I’m just not sure what yet.

Edited by bluebirdsforever

Ampersand13
15 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

I’ve interpreted it as it was simply dark for him to make her fall in love and need him so much. She’s now dependent on him which is something she tried to resist for several months (Getaway Car/Gorgeous/Cruel Summer) before finally giving in and trusting him (KOMH/Delicate/Cornelia Street). He made her open up and fall in love again which is the “tearing her apart”. She didn’t want to fall in love but she did anyway which is the “dark” part of what he did. 

She also uses the metaphor of faith in False God about Joe. She is devoted to him to the extent that she views their love as a religion. Love itself may well be a hoax/false god but she has succumbed to it and believes in it with Joe, against her better judgement. 

Great song. Unfortunately not often heard because Peace causes people to turn off the album

BNMQzLR.gif

Loving this theory. You did NOT disappoint. However, I could do without the Peace slander but courses for horses I suppose 

Both Sides Now
1 minute ago, Ampersand13 said:

Loving this theory. You did NOT disappoint. However, I could do without the Peace slander but courses for horses I suppose 

:heart:

Someday I’ll switch like a s*ssy in Peace but that day has not yet come :fan:

Beyonnaise

Not to sound like a Karlie/lesbian conspiracy theorist but I do think it's about their friendship ending. During the 1989 era, Taylor considered her her best friend and they were always together. Then Karlie became a client of Scooter and never defended Taylor during the ordeal, and Perez Hilton (I know ew but he is close with her publicist Tree) confirmed that that's why they aren't friends anymore. The last time they were seen together was in 2018 at a Reputation show, and Taylor didn't go to her wedding last year.

One of the most noteworthy things they did in their friendship was go on a roadtrip to Big Sur (huge cliffs in California) in 2014. Then they even did a cliffside photoshoot for their Vogue issue the next year

Karlie-Kloss-and-Taylor-Swift-8.jpgKarlie-kloss-and-Taylor-Swift-5-1.jpg

karlie-kloss-taylor-swift-vogue-march-2015-1.jpgkarlie-kloss-taylor-swift-vogue-march-2015-3.jpg

We all know Taylor is very self-referential so the "cliffside" line checks out. Clearly Taylor felt very betrayed by Karlie. The bridge just gives it all away:

You know I left a part of me back in New York

You knew the hero died so what's the movie for?

You knew the password so I let you in the door

You knew you won so what's the point of keeping score?

You knew it still hurts underneath my scars

From when they pulled me apart

But what you did was just as dark

Darling, this was just as hard, as when they pulled me apart

When they were close, Taylor was primarily based in NYC and I remember her saying in her Rolling Stone interview that Karlie stayed over at her house a lot, so the "password" line makes sense. She's saying that losing their friendship was just as hard as all the legal drama she had to deal with with Scooter/Scott B.

Edited by Beyonnaise

Ampersand13
14 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

I actually have a theory hoax is from Betty’s perspective after James cheats on her and ties up that arc, chronologically taking place before cardigan (which is her wistfully looking back on the relationship when she’s older - hoax is the immediate aftermath):

”Your heartbeat on the High Line, once in twenty lifetimes” / “You know I left a part of me back in New York”

But then there’s also lines like the ones you mentioned that feel very much about Taylor’s own life (plus references to blue are pretty much her signifier for Joe at this point - “deep blue but you painted me golden” / “it’s blue, the feeling I got” / “I’m with you even if makes me blue”)

I find hoax so fascinating because I don’t think we’ll ever truly solve it, nor do I think she’ll ever perform it live. It’s almost like it’s an amalgamation of her and Betty melded together. It’s the last song on the standard edition for a reason, I’m just not sure what yet.

Well put, it's a perfect enigma. We may never truly know but that doesn't stop us from enjoying its perfection :jamming:

2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

:heart:

Someday I’ll switch like a s*ssy in Peace but that day has not yet come :fan:

I'll be waiting with open arms :hug:

1 minute ago, Beyonnaise said:

Not to sound like a Karlie/lesbian conspiracy theorist but I do think it's about their friendship ending. During the 1989 era, Taylor considered her her best friend and they were always together. Then Karlie became a client of Scooter and never defended Taylor during the ordeal, and Perez Hilton (I know ew but he is close with her publicist Tree) confirmed that that's why they aren't friends anymore. The last time they were seen together was in 2018 at a Reputation show so it wasn't because of Kimye.

One of the most noteworthy things they did in their friendship was go on a roadtrip to Big Sur (huge cliffs in California) in 2014. Then they even did a cliffside photoshoot for their Vogue issue the next year

karlie-kloss-taylor-swift-vogue-march-2015-1.jpgkarlie-kloss-taylor-swift-vogue-march-2015-3.jpg

We all know Taylor is very self-referential so the "cliffside" line checks out. Clearly Taylor felt very betrayed by Karlie, she never went to her wedding. The bridge just gives it all away:

When they were close, Taylor was primarily based in NYC and I remember her saying in her Rolling Stone interview that Karlie stayed over at her house a lot, so the "password" line makes sense. She's saying that losing their friendship was just as hard as all the legal drama she had to deal with with Scooter/Scott B.

LOVE THIS THEORY! :jonny5:

fridayteenage
35 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Not to sound like a Karlie/lesbian conspiracy theorist but I do think it's about their friendship ending. During the 1989 era, Taylor considered her her best friend and they were always together. Then Karlie became a client of Scooter and never defended Taylor during the ordeal, and Perez Hilton (I know ew but he is close with her publicist Tree) confirmed that that's why they aren't friends anymore. The last time they were seen together was in 2018 at a Reputation show, and Taylor didn't go to her wedding last year.

We all know Taylor is very self-referential so the "cliffside" line checks out. Clearly Taylor felt very betrayed by Karlie. The bridge just gives it all away:

Yes, Karlie's faithless love being the only hoax taylor believed in works perfectly.

dodsdmr

We all know it's all about Karlie :giraffe: :laugh:

AlbumOfTheYear

is the latter half of Folklore better than the first? 

I'm no Swiftie, but this theorizing/lyric discussion is making me want to listen. I love her lyrics

dodsdmr
42 minutes ago, AlbumOfTheYear said:

is the latter half of Folklore better than the first? 

I'm no Swiftie, but this theorizing/lyric discussion is making me want to listen. I love her lyrics

hm I love the whole album.. my faves are: cardigan, exile, my tears ricochet, august, this is me trying, illicit affairs, invisible string, betty, peace, hoax and the lakes... the latter 3 are a very interesting trio and my current fave is illicit affairs

Edited by dodsdmr

Safe&Sound
3 hours ago, shookspeare said:

can we cancel that album survivor?

even invisible string and mirrorball are already eliminated :biblio:

i'm disgusted

OT : I'm buying to any Kaylor idea and it seems it is!

MissedTheTrain

Yeah this is one song that I haven't really been able to pin down/interpret like the rest of the album.

chiliam
10 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

omg i never a Kaylor theorist.

But this made perfect scene, omg this will change the way whenever i listen about this song.