Sign in to follow this  
Hector

Tina Knowles: "Beyoncé is actually my maiden name"

Hector

“A lot of people don’t know that Beyoncé is my last name. It’s my maiden name," Tina revealed on the In My Head With Heather Thomson podcast. "My name was Celestine Beyoncé, which at that time was not a cool thing to have that weird name. I wanted my name to be Linda Smith because those were the cool names." 

Tina, who was the youngest of seven kids, noted that her siblings had different spellings of their last name. 

"All of us have a different spelling. I think me and my brother, Skip, were the only two that had B-E-Y-O-N-C-E," Tina said. 

She added that other siblings had the name spelled "B-E-Y-I-N-C-E." When she asked her mother why the names were different, she replied that that's what was put on their birth certificate. 

"So I said, 'Well, why didn’t you argue and make them correct it?' And she said, 'I did one time, the first time, and I was told be happy that you’re getting a birth certificate,'" she said. "Because at one time Black people didn’t get birth certificates.”

Tina went on to praise her two daughters for their charitable efforts, which she said they often do privately. 

"[I get] upset when [Beyoncé] gets all this criticism, because she's not the person and Solange is not the person to go and brag about what they do," Tina explained. "They just do it because it was instilled in them at nine and four to give back, to treat people with dignity, to appreciate and respect people that have less than you.”

Mind blown :eek:

Miichael

How has nobody discovered this before? :rip:

PrettyHurts

I thought everyone knew this. Did people think "Beyoncé" was just made up :skull:

Jai

I thought this was known as well, If I remember correctly Beyonce & Solange are both French names and Mrs Tina herself is Creole, which includes some French heritage. 

sickening
Just now, Jai said:

I thought this was known as well, If I remember correctly Beyonce & Solange are both French names and Mrs Tina herself is Creole, which includes some French heritage. 

ever since i started learning french its been everywhere wth

Jai
1 minute ago, sickening said:

ever since i started learning french its been everywhere wth

Isn't it wild? French is a lot more widespread than I think anyone ever really knew! There is French lineage all over the world. 

BOAZ

I knew it but the clarification on why Bey cousins are called Beyincé while Tina was Beyoncé with the "o" is new to me.  The birth certificates story reminds me of one of my best friends, who is Italian-Albanian, who's had the wrong name and birth date on her ids for like 10 years because nobody would care to change that in the office :biblio:we laugh at this story but when I think of the fact nobody would listen to her father just because he wasn't Italian makes me so angry

QueenofCopyPaste

Old news. 

PopMusicJunkie

Such an iconic & beautiful name.  :clap3:

OT:  My grandma has told me similar stories about birth certificates for her kids.  One of my aunt’s middle names was supposed to be Giselle but the nurse hated that and put Judy instead.  

Skirt
20 minutes ago, Jai said:

Beyoncé isn’t a French name, Solange is tho.

Beyonnaise

Interesting. I wonder if it would still sound like such a powerful, striking name if it wasn't hers. It's impossible to know.

justinxx
27 minutes ago, Jai said:

Isn't it wild? French is a lot more widespread than I think anyone ever really knew! There is French lineage all over the world. 

because of colonialism

BnPac

Yes, I knew about the story but I always thought Tina’s maiden name was Beyincé and that she changed the « I » in « O » to give it to her daughter. And they were 7 kids? That’s a lot!!

Oxy

I'v known this since her DIL era with the VH1 documentary.

I guess only hardcore fans know this.

Jai
1 hour ago, Skirt said:

Beyoncé isn’t a French name, Solange is tho.

Oh! I always thought I saw somewhere that Beyonce was in some form as well.  OT: (Kind of)  But Solange is such a pretty name in general. 

50 minutes ago, justinxx said:

because of colonialism

Im genuinely intrigued by this pov, can you elaborate.

BnPac
14 minutes ago, Jai said:

Oh! I always thought I saw somewhere that Beyonce was in some form as well.  OT: (Kind of)  But Solange is such a pretty name in general. 

Well yes, it has a « é », its origin is probably French créole. 
But Solange and Giselle are typical old French names. 
—————

Half of Africa speaks French thanks to Colonialism. French were also in Canada 🇨🇦 hence  the French part. 

Edited by BnPac

justinxx
11 minutes ago, Jai said:

it's not really a pov, it's just history. as @BnPacsaid above me, the French colonized a lot of the world which is why French is spoken in places like Africa, South America, etc. (same for Portuguese, Spanish, obviously English)

Frogger17

Thought this was widely known. :michael:

Anyway, it's funny how hospital's are always messing up names on birth certificates. Diana Ross's name is supposed to be Diane. :laugh:

Shinning
27 minutes ago, BnPac said:

Well yes, it has a « é », its origin is probably French créole. 
But Solange and Giselle are typical old French names. 
—————

Half of Africa speaks French thanks to Colonialism. French were also in Canada 🇨🇦 hence  the French part. 

They were in the USA too. Some people in New Orleans still speak French 

fagsturbation
3 hours ago, Jai said:

Solange is deff a french name, used to be quite popular in them olden days too, never heard of 'beyoncé' before ms knowles tho lol

KeirGrey
1 hour ago, Jai said:

because the french were heavily involved in colonisation?  

ShouldersSideways

"So I said, 'Well, why didn’t you argue and make them correct it?' And she said, 'I did one time, the first time, and I was told be happy that you’re getting a birth certificate,'" she said. "Because at one time Black people didn’t get birth certificates.”

Its sick how even little things like this are a reminder of how racist the US is.

popmusicisdead

even i know this. always thought the correct spelling was Beyincé (pronounced: Be-YUH-ncé in French) and she just changed it so it's easier to pronounce. 

Ryan Rivers

Angela Beyince, Beyoncé’s cousin, co wrote many songs with her on Dangerously In Love and B’Day

Keith
7 hours ago, PopMusicJunkie said:

One of my aunt’s middle names was supposed to be Giselle but the nurse hated that and put Judy instead.  

As if Judy isn't an bad name :deadbanana2:

Sign in to follow this