A dark theme is now available to ATRL+ members. ×

Artists' first ultimate flop studio albums

skyandground

Ultimate flop album = an album that spends only 1 week in the Top 50 on Billboard 200 or even worse.

Only solo studio albums are counted.

Albums released before an artist obtained mainstream success (like Katy Hudson) aren't counted either. It's about the downfall after an artist had a good commercial run.

First ultimate flop studio albums:

5th: Katy Perry - Smile (5-54-)   Can Smile return to the Top 50 in the future?

6th: Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water (13-113-Out)

7th: Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor (87-Out)

8th: Christina Aguilera - Liberation (6-98-Out)

12th: Celine Dion - Courage (1-111-134-170-Out) - Only English-language studio albums are considered

14th: Madonna - Madame X (1-77-Out)

15th: Mariah Carey - Caution (5-55-163-Out)

Feel free to add more examples.

1 minute ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

EIL, Future Nostalgia 

Spent several weeks in the Top 50. Work on those comprehension skills!

My Tears Ricochet

Ot: Poor Katy and Avril :deadbanana:

My Tears Ricochet
1 minute ago, Quenn said:

Spent several weeks in the Top 50. Work on those comprehension skills!

My Tears Ricochet

Ot: Poor Katy and Avril :deadbanana:

Didn't read the OP:gaycat5:

Still eligible for "Ultimate first flop studio albums"

32 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Didn't read the OP:gaycat5:

Still eligible for "Ultimate first flop studio albums"

It's called "ultimate" for a reason. It takes artists with longevity 10+ albums to reach that stage. 

Those petty stan war'd flop definitions shouldn't be used here. 

trainsskyscrapers

@skyandground

- Barbara Streisand's 11th studio album What About Today (1969). It was her first non-Christmas project to peak outside of the top 12 (and debuted at #32), did not receive acclaim as she moved from her usual torch songs to contemporary "Beatles-pop", and it's one of her only albums to never receive RIAA Certification.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B

Kiss - 2012 - #6

Emotion - 2015 - #16

Dedicated - 2019 - #18

Dedicated Side B - 2020 - OUT

Dedicated Side B is technically a studio album, it had lots of signed merch, vinyls, cds etc.. to help with its debut chart positions. But it still couldn’t crack the Top 200. Even Emotion Side B (an EP) managed to crack the Top 70.

I’m interested to see how Carly’s next project will do. Because despite not having much mainstream success with her singles, both of her previous studio albums managed to hit the Top 20.

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pedro Labre said:

Britney never had one

There'a a reason why Celine, Madonna, Mariah, Avril, Alicia and Norah all got their first one-week Top 50 studio albums in the past two years. Streaming isn't kind to old girls.

Edited by skyandground
24 minutes ago, skyandground said:

There'a a reason why Celine, Madonna, Mariah, Avril, Alicia and Norah all got their first one-week Top 50 studio albums in the past two years. Streaming isn't kind to old girls.

So then it’s not about them having a major flop for the first time. Cause they’ve all flopped before. But charting standards are relative for their time period and this is considered normal flopping for an older pop girl nowadays. 

55 minutes ago, skyandground said:

28 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

She’s next though. Her album sales are similar to these girls

I’m not saying that her next studio album won’t do it, but Glory was in the streaming era and she didn’t drop out of the top 50. We’ll see 

Edited by Enzolorenzo
4 minutes ago, Enzolorenzo said:

I’m not saying that her next studio album won’t do it, but Glory was in the streaming era and she didn’t drop out of the top 50. We’ll see 

No, 2016 wasn’t part of the streaming era, not the current streaming era that we know of now.

Compare the digital sales that year to now and see how much they have dropped dramatically as streaming rose 

2018 is when the shift happened and if Glory had been released that year or later it would have met the same fate as those albums. 

You see how Mood Ring failed to chart despite doing well on iTunes and that’s a prime example of how much streaming has changed things since 2018.

1 hour ago, brainmaniac said:

No, 2016 wasn’t part of the streaming era, not the current streaming era that we know of now.

Compare the digital sales that year to now and see how much they have dropped dramatically as streaming rose 

2018 is when the shift happened and if Glory had been released that year or later it would have met the same fate as those albums. 

You see how Mood Ring failed to chart despite doing well on iTunes and that’s a prime example of how much streaming has changed things since 2018.

Glory in its second week moved 24k units in the US, half of it was pure sales whereas the other half was thanks to SPS. 12k units alone would be enough to be top 50 on the BB200 so you’re wrong. Also I don’t see what Mood Ring has to do with this? It did well on iTunes because fans bought it and it’s not a very competitive platform anymore. It failed to chart on the Hot 100 because it wasn’t a single thus it had no airplay, no music video and no playlist support. If anything Mood Ring proves that whenever she decides to release a single she will easily chart 

4 minutes ago, Enzolorenzo said:

Glory in its second week moved 24k units in the US, half of it was pure sales whereas the other half was thanks to SPS. 12k units alone would be enough to be top 50 on the BB200 so you’re wrong. Also I don’t see what Mood Ring has to do with this? It did well on iTunes because fans bought it and it’s not a very competitive platform anymore. It failed to chart on the Hot 100 because it wasn’t a single thus it had no airplay, no music video and no playlist support. If anything Mood Ring proves that whenever she decides to release a single she will easily chart 

But Glory wouldn’t have had 24K second week in 2018/2020 either. Tracks sales helped contribute more to SPS back when iTunes was alive and Spotify was a bit more pop friendly then whereas now it’s almost all hip-hip 

Many of her fans thought Mood Ring would debut on The Hot 100 and didn’t realize how much The Hot 100 changed since 2016. They thought Britney had a stronger power than everyone who flopped since 2018, but she just happened to release in time before the change 

Pop radio has also changed a lot since 2016 and people her age don’t even chart on pop radio now. The labels know it’s pointless so they won’t even promote to pop radio, let alone have radio deals and Britney was still just young enough to get a radio deal in 2016 but now she’s almost 40 and most likely won’t get one next time 

Britney has no presence on the adult contemporary charts either. She’s going to suffer in streaming too since she’s not a rapper and is older. iTunes alone won’t help her chart now. And if she does get lucky and releases on a less competitive week she will debut very low and drop off within a week or so. 

1 hour ago, Bayouboy said:

Lady G’s third album Artpop 

Maybe read the OP next time instead of just dragging blindly?

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

But Glory wouldn’t have had 24K second week in 2018/2020 either. Tracks sales helped contribute more to SPS back when iTunes was alive and Spotify was a bit more pop friendly then whereas now it’s almost all hip-hip 

Many of her fans thought Mood Ring would debut on The Hot 100 and didn’t realize how much The Hot 100 changed since 2016. They thought Britney had a stronger power than everyone who flopped since 2018, but she just happened to release in time before the change 

Pop radio has also changed a lot since 2016 and people her age don’t even chart on pop radio now. The labels know it’s pointless so they won’t even promote to pop radio, let alone have radio deals and Britney was still just young enough to get a radio deal in 2016 but now she’s almost 40 and most likely won’t get one next time 

Britney has no presence on the adult contemporary charts either. She’s going to suffer in streaming too since she’s not a rapper and is older. iTunes alone won’t help her chart now. And if she does get lucky and releases on a less competitive week she will debut very low and drop off within a week or so. 

Uhm where did I claim that Britney is going to do 24k second week with her next album? Even if she were to do 12k, which is half of what Glory did, she would still be top 50. 
And stop making stuff up :toofunny2: nobody expected Mood Ring to chart, considering that it wasn’t a single and it was just a Japanese bonus track from 2016. And it doesn’t matter if she gets a radio deal or not, as long as she releases a music video along with a new single and gets some minimal airplay impression she’ll easily enter the Hot 100

Edited by Enzolorenzo
1 hour ago, Pop Art said:

Maybe read the OP next time instead of just dragging blindly?

giphy.gif

Oh it wasn’t a drag it was a fact. I can drag if you’d like?