DTF

Why did Taylor surpass Carrie?

Bentley
2 minutes ago, odin_envy_me said:

Bentley doing the Lord's work here educating you all...

So, on the whole, I think Taylor is undeniably a one-for-the-ages talent. No one should be denying that. But I'm really not here for the Carrie disrespect. She is probably the greatest country vocalist of all time, her run on country radio is awe-inspiring, she's won them GRAMMYs, she pulls incredible tour numbers, and her best-selling album outsold Taylor's best-selling album. Let's not do the most.

To answer the question, honestly, I think Carrie just never wanted what Taylor wanted. She held back pop remixes of her hits (including Before He Cheats). She worked with Max Martin for exactly one song ( a great song) and then never went back. I think her choice of collaborations are illustrative too: she's collaborated with contemporary country stars (Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban), and non-country legends (Aerosmith, Tony Bennett), but never a contemporary popstar. I'm sure she had opportunities to get a top 40 featured appearance, but she just didn't want it.

And I don’t even really stan Carrie like that, I’m just a big fan... but for atrl to sit here and put disrespect on her name like this is just distasteful. Work had to be done :) 

Bentley
Just now, Quenn said:

:ahh:

Y'all are hilarious. Go stream Carrie's POP collab with Ludacris (a mainstream rapper) before y'all embarrass yourselves even further.

Resorting to using her one pop collab that was specifically recorded for Monday night football and not even promoted to mainstream while these other “country” girls service their “country” singles to pop looking for broader success. Sis please and bye. 

odin_envy_me
1 minute ago, Quenn said:

Y'all are hilarious. Go stream Carrie's POP collab with Ludacris (a mainstream rapper) before y'all embarrass yourselves even further.

Yeah, cuz if you want to collaborate with a rapper to score an easy hit in 2018, you choose Ludacris. Right.

Bentley

Carrie queen of country, point blank and period. 

Quenn
7 minutes ago, odin_envy_me said:

and her best-selling album outsold Taylor's best-selling album.

So, again, can any of the Swifties here confirm if this outrageously foolish claim is true or not? 

Mezik
3 minutes ago, Quenn said:

You mean the collaboration that was only recorded for the NFL Super Bowl as a theme song, and performed once at a Radio Disney Award show...? Yep, certainly a recipe for a major pop music release!

Mezik

So, again, can any of the Swifties here confirm if this outrageously foolish claim is true or not? 

If we’re talking U.S only - yes, SH is almost eligible for diamond status. 

WW, of course not.

Bentley
1 minute ago, Mezik said:

You mean the collaboration that was only recorded for the NFL Super Bowl as a theme song, and performed once at a Radio Disney Award show...? Yep, certainly a recipe for a major pop music release!

:skull:

sis come do your job, I’m sick of arguing for queen of country tonight 

Quenn
6 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Resorting to using her one pop collab that was specifically recorded for Monday night football and not even promoted to mainstream while these other “country” girls service their “country” singles to pop looking for broader success. Sis please and bye. 

Keep the excuses coming:rofl:

Bentley
Just now, Mezik said:

WW, of course not.

:mandown:

odin_envy_me
2 minutes ago, Quenn said:

Yeah, I'm a Swiftie, I can confirm that Taylor's best-selling album (Fearless) has about 7.1M sales in the US, while Carrie's best-selling album (Some Hearts) has about 7.5M, per Wikipedia. Any questions?

Bentley
Just now, Quenn said:

Keep the excuses coming:rofl:

Keep the deflection coming :ahh:

Bentley
Just now, odin_envy_me said:

Yeah, I'm a Swiftie, I can confirm that Taylor's best-selling album (Fearless) has about 7.1M sales in the US, while Carrie's best-selling album (Some Hearts) has about 7.5M, per Wikipedia. Any questions?

Shall they continue @Quenn:mandown:

newwil7l
23 minutes ago, Quenn said:

It still doesn't compare to Dolly and Shania's gigantic influence over mainstream artists like Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. Do you see any publications hailing Carrie Underwood as the "queen of country?"  Exactly. I'm not trying to discredit her or her achievements but some of y'all really have some nerve trying to erase their legacy and give her that title when she hasn't even achieved a third of what they have achieved. 

Even pop girls like Halsey cite Carrie as an influence alongside all the current country girls :rip:

Quenn
Just now, Mezik said:

WW, of course not.

Except that Taylor already has a Diamond certified album in the US (Fearless) and another Diamond eligible 9x platinum one (1989).

So again, what all of you Carrie stans are saying is categorically false and can easily be disputed with a quick Google search. Good to know!

Bentley

Except that Taylor already has a Diamond certified album in the US (Fearless) and another Diamond eligible 9x platinum one (1989).

So again, what all of you Carrie stans are saying is categorically false and can easily be disputed with a quick Google search. Good to know!

And yet, Taylor needed to branch out to pop to achieve what Carrie has achieved on country alone. 

newwil7l
8 minutes ago, Quenn said:

In the US it is true. Some Hearts outsold Fearless. Carrie was absolutely massive in 2005-2007

Mezik
4 minutes ago, Quenn said:

It’s not false, it’s a matter of labels not certifying. :rip: 

Some Hearts based off of TEAs & SEAs is Diamond eligible. :rip: It still has sold more pure albums than Fearless or 1989. It is not hard to comprehend.

trainsskyscrapers

Because Carrie kept her artistic integrity intact. I can think of 4 case studies where if she went pop she might've been HUGE in the pop realm but would have alienated her country audience unless she threw them an album track or a co-write every once in a while like T. Swift:

A) When "Before He Cheats" blew up. (2006)

B) Not releasing "Quitter"* from Play On, a single literally written with pop svengalis Shellback, Savan Kotecha, and Max Martin.

(2009)

C) Not releasing "Blown Away" to pop radio when it was showing promise, early airplay, and potential. 

(2012)

D) Not releasing "End Up With You" or the Taylor Swift-esque "Backsliding" to pop.

(2018)

For someone to be gifted with 4 opportunities to go the pop route and ignore them... it sounds to me like it was her decision and she decided to keep her artistic integrity intact.

*Here's Quitter for all of the pop fans to get into:

Bentley
1 minute ago, Mezik said:

Some Hearts based off of TEAs & SEAs is Diamond eligible. :rip: It still has sold more pure albums than Fearless or 1989. It is not hard to comprehend.

:rip: 

Bentley
1 minute ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Because Carrie kept her artistic integrity intact. I can think of 4 case studies where if she went pop she might've been HUGE in the pop realm but would have alienated her country audience unless she threw them an album track or a co-write every once in a while like T. Swift:

A) When "Before He Cheats" blew up. (2006)

B) Not releasing "Quitter"* from Play On, a single literally written with pop svengalis Shellback, Savan Kotecha, and Max Martin.

(2009)

C) Not releasing "Blown Away" to pop radio when it was showing promise, early airplay, and potential. 

(2012)

D) Not releasing "End Up With You" or the Taylor Swift-esque "Backsliding" to pop.

(2018)

For someone to be gifted with 4 opportunities to go the pop route and ignore them... it sounds to me like it was her decision and she decided to keep her artistic integrity intact.

*Here's Quitter for all of the pop fans to get into:

Tea cleanup please! 

Quenn
7 minutes ago, odin_envy_me said:

That doesn't work when Fearless is Diamond certified by the RIAA and Some Heart isn't :sorry:

Also, comparing a 2005 album to a 2008 album when you're well aware of the sales climate difference? I wouldn't expect anything less from you Carrie stans :laugh:

2 minutes ago, newwil7l said:

In the US it is true. Some Hearts outsold Fearless. Carrie was absolutely massive in 2005-2007

But the RIAA tells me that Fearless outsold Some Hearts. What is the truth here?

Bentley
2 minutes ago, Quenn said:

That doesn't work when Fearless is Diamond certified by the RIAA and Some Heart isn't :sorry:

Also, comparing a 2005 album to a 2008 album when you're well aware of the sales climate difference? I wouldn't expect anything less from you Carrie stans :laugh:

But the RIAA tells me that Fearless outsold Some Hearts. What is the truth here?

Yet you were comparing Carrie’s album sales to Shania’s despite the time difference... I can’t take it seriously :dies:

fememeist

Here we go again with the country purists saying that if you do country music, you’re not allowed to do any other genre, and if you do, we’ll disown that artist.

odin_envy_me
6 minutes ago, Mezik said:

It's only hard if you're being willfully ignorant, or if you don't understand the difference between sales and certifications. Idk which one is the case here, but i don't think we can help the good sis out.