DTF

Why did Taylor surpass Carrie?

prézli
On 9/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, Tylerbv said:

Taylor never really had a country voice (other than when she put her twang on intentionally) and clearly was just using country as a stepping stone. Of course a younger, girl next door heartbreak anthem girl who goes pop will be more commercially successful WW.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother Earth

Taylor makes much more mainstream music and is a much more mainstream overall package. Duh. :rip:

JustHoran
On 9/16/2020 at 3:21 AM, AvrilLaQueen said:

Grammy is an American award

how much JUNO awards, which are Canadian Grammys, has Carrie won in that case? :celestial5:

Avril hasn't toured because she had Lyme that took her out + American tours are capitalistic, which makes more money than touring in countries where healthcare is affordable, for example!

Billboard 200 is US based chart. Avril's last album went Top 10 in the UK, did this Carrie's girl managed to do the same? Did her songs charts in the UK like Avril's did from her last album as well?

Again, Avril's "flop" songs are Carrie's biggest hits by the looks of it, I mean Carrie's "hits" barely outstream I Fell In Love With The Devil on YouTube. How embarrassing :deadbanana4: @ProudLBS @greeneyedsoul ksksksksk :bibliahh:

This person is so delusional and embarrassing :ahh:

JustHoran

Carrie is bigger in country and has NEVER crossed over to pop. She has many chances to and didn't and even said she doesn't want to cross over and only wants to do Country. 

Edited by JustHoran

JustHoran

If Carrie would actually go full pop (she hasn't and her songs were never pushed to pop) she would be huge with a good pop song. She doesn't want it and never has. She will go down as a legend in country just like Reba and Dolly.

Mezik
21 hours ago, JustHoran said:

If Carrie would actually go full pop (she hasn't and her songs were never pushed to pop) she would be huge with a good pop song. She doesn't want it and never has. She will go down as a legend in country just like Reba and Dolly.

Thing is, 'Before he Cheats' was a HUGE hit... but I feel Carrie's Jesus-Loving personality would be off-putting for pop music.

I know she was one of the first mainstream country artists (after Dolly, Tim, Faith) to openly come out and support gay marriage as well as going as far as condemning those who use religion to hate, but I feel that + the fact she is VERY RESERVED are two things that would work against her in pop music.

I do believe however, she could've had a Faith Hill like era had she actively promoted to Pop & HAC with country songs that were much more crossover sounding (I mean So Small could've been a massive HAC hit). But also, she cancelled her promotion (or was it marketing) contract with the New York division of Arista that was meant to handle pop/HAC networks after BHC became a smash. :rip: 

callmedecember

i think it is a mixture of a lot of things but taylor makes and has akways made very relatable music with very relatable lyrics that appeal to all ages (and showed teenagers that they could write, record and do their stuff), also she was presented and called america's sweetheart which obviously helped her, also the thing that she was pretty much friend of everyone in the industry from the start of her career and also her crossover from country/country pop to pure pop made a lot for her.

on the other hand, i feel like carrie really stuck to her own thing which gave her more of a "cult following", like she has her public and doesn't care about anything else or gaining new followers, but at the same time i think that it backfired her because i never really saw people talking her after before he cheats, ofc that's something that has to do with the country that i live in etc but yeah (i couldn't find a better wording lol)