DTF

Why did Taylor surpass Carrie?

DTF

Before Taylor Swift became popular, Carrie Underwood was widely seen as the new queen of country because she had back to back country smashes. But Carrie never reached the same commercial peaks that Taylor did even though they both made Country Pop hybrid music and claimed heir to Shania’s legacy. Why was Taylor able to blow past Carrie? Folklore vastly outdid Cry Pretty, for example. 

Quenn

Carrie didn't evolve musically whereas Taylor did.

supertiffany

funny is that TSwift used to be a fangirl of Carrie, but she is now the popular one.

Carrie comes out like a stuck-up pretentious ideal white girl

TSwift seems more of a darling or a sweetheart or girl next door that can be your bestfriend or your kind girlfriend.

also she ventured to pop, but even if she stick to country genre, TSwift will still be more successful than Carrie, because TSwift is authentic.

Edited by supertiffany

newwil7l

Carrie had the potential but she never actively tried to crossover like Taylor did.

But yeah its pretty crazy how Carrie was seen as the big new thing from 2005-2007. Taylor just exploded with Fearless though and left her in the dust.

DesiredConsternation

Because Carrie's music is more country than country pop. 

Bentley

Because Taylor ditched her core format while Carrie remained. So really, Carrie is the queen of country 🤷🏻‍♂️

FearlessTS

Taylor has also had a young girl next door image, while Carrie had more of a white christian young woman image. It is inevitable that Taylor will have more fans in the long run.

Ash12345

Taylor has more delicate vocals that are more suitable to sad breakup songs or optimistic upbeat songs which gave her an advantage with pop audiences imo. Carrie has more soulful vocals that are more typically country sounding, and have allowed her to have greater success on country radio.

Quenn
7 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Because Taylor ditched her core format while Carrie remained. So really, Carrie is the queen of country 🤷🏻‍♂️

Shania will always be the queen of country. Carrie doesn't come close to her.

Bentley
1 minute ago, Quenn said:

Carrie has more number ones on the format. :sorry:

2 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Taylor has more delicate vocals that are more suitable to sad breakup songs or optimistic upbeat songs which gave her an advantage with pop audiences imo. Carrie has more soulful vocals that are more typically country sounding, and have allowed her to have greater success on country radio.

yeah you’re right, pop audiences don’t really have a care in the world for vocals, or at least not as much as the country audience clearly. 

newwil7l
1 minute ago, Quenn said:

Shania had no longevoty and was basically pure pop by her third album. If it isn't Carrie then it is Dolly.

mcohen

Taylor had a following outside country 

Bentley
3 minutes ago, newwil7l said:

Shania had no longevoty and was basically pure pop by her third album. If it isn't Carrie then it is Dolly.

Dollys old generation sure, but Carrie has been supreme for a while now... 

Quenn
3 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Carrie has more number ones on the format. :sorry:

3 minutes ago, newwil7l said:

Please tell me y'all are joking... because :rip:

Shania has 3 Diamond albums in the US alone and is the best selling female country artist of all time :deadbanana:

You're right about Dolly though. If it's not Shania it's definitely her. Carrie isn't touching either of them.

Bentley

and Carrie basically blows the entire country format out vocally so there’s that. No one is touching her :) 

Bey'Knight

I don’t think Carrie was reaching worldwide pop domination like Taylor was. I know it’s a hard concept for atrl to wrap its head around, but not ever artist aspires to be number 1 in Timbuktu.

Bentley
Just now, Quenn said:

Please tell me y'all are joking... because :rip:

Shania has 3 Diamond albums in the US alone and is the best selling female country artist of all time :deadbanana:

You're right about Dolly though. If it's not Shania it's definitely her. Carrie isn't touching either of them.

Shania debuted much earlier when sales were bigger. I’m sorry but Carrie is country queen and no amount of pop aided album sales is gonna change that! 

Bentley
Just now, Bey'Knight said:

I don’t think Carrie was reaching worldwide pop domination like Taylor was. I know it’s a hard concept for atrl to wrap its head around, but not ever artist aspires to be number 1 in Timbuktu.

:skull: :clap3:

Body Talk

Carrie never tried to cross over. Also Carrie is a vocalist, not the girl next door.

Bentley
1 minute ago, Body Talk said:

Carrie never tried to cross over. Also Carrie is a vocalist, not the girl next door.

Oop

But shoutout to Taylor for being friends with my talented latin queen. Props are due there! 

Edited by Bentley

Quenn
1 minute ago, Bentley said:

Shania debuted much earlier when sales were bigger. I’m sorry but Carrie is country queen and no amount of pop aided album sales is gonna change that! 

That didn't stop Taylor's first 4 country albums from outselling anything Carrie has put out though. Shania remains the queen of country pop and Dolly remains the queen of country as per multiple publications. :sorry:

Bentley
5 minutes ago, Quenn said:

That didn't stop Taylor's first 4 country albums from outselling anything Carrie has put out though. Shania remains the queen of country pop and Dolly remains the queen of country as per multiple publications. :sorry:

All aided by huge pop crossovers and spamming to that genre. Carrie remains the superior COUNTRY artist and vocalist. :sorry: neither dolly or Taylor are touching her there. 

Edited by Bentley

Bentley

Shania is a cute nostalgia act though, even though she fizzled out pretty quickly while others still remain and currently chart hits on the country format, I’ll give her that!  @Quenn :) 

Bentley

@Mezik can we get your opinionata king? 

Quenn
1 minute ago, Bentley said:

All aided by huge pop crossovers and spamming to that genre. Carrie remains the superior COUNTRY artist and vocalist. :sorry: neither dolly or Taylor are touching her there. 

That doesn't work when Carrie's last album was basically a pop album, sis :rip: