Legendary

Madonna to direct own biopic

Legendary

madonna-split-1600190392-928x523.jpg

Diablo Cody is co-writing the "untold true story" that will be produced by Amy Pascal.

The Material Girl has lived long enough to tell and express herself on the big screen.

Madonna has teamed with screenwriter Diablo Cody, producer Amy Pascal and Universal for a biopic on herself.  In this case, call it an autobiopic as the music and pop culture icon is not only co-writing the script with Cody, who won an Oscar for writing Juno, but directing the project as well.

“I want to convey the incredible journey that life has taken me on as an artist, a musician, a dancer – a human being, trying to make her way in this world,” said Madonna.  “The focus of this film will always be music.  Music has kept me going and art has kept me alive.  There are so many untold and inspiring stories and who better to tell it than me.  It’s essential to share the roller coaster ride of my life with my voice and vision.”

Madonna’s career spans almost four decades and has gone far beyond music as she has made inroads into art, movies, fashion and charity. She burst onto the 1980s music scene and established herself as the Queen of Pop with best-selling albums such as Like a Virgin, True Blue, and Like a Prayer, pushing the envelope of topics such as sex and religion and race and establishing herself as a feminist icon.

She also worked as an actress, a mixed track record that still generated box office heat with movies such as Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League of Their Own and Evita while at the same time making headlines for relationships with Sean Penn, Warren Beatty and Guy Ritchie.

Madonna’s continued relevance has been due to her fearlessness in reinventing herself, something she did with her music in the 1990s and when she moved into directing with 2011’s W.E., a period drama that starred Abbie Corning and Andrea Riseborough.

Along the way, she was certified the best-selling female music artist in history, selliong 335 million records worldwide and remaining the highest-grossing solo touring artist of all time. According to Universal, Madonna remains one of the most awarded and critically acclaimed artists in history, with 658 prominent global award nominations and 225 wins.  She has graced more than 4,700 magazine covers worldwide, according to the studio.

“Madonna is the ultimate icon, humanitarian, artist and rebel.  With her singular gift of creating art that is as accessible as it is boundary-pushing, she has shaped our culture in a way very few others have,” said Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman Donna Langley in a statement.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/madonna-to-co-write-direct-her-own-biopic

Edited by Legendary

Dark Phoenix

Epic, hopefully a 2022 release.

jesus del rey

Hard working legend. I am so excited for this! I am sure it is going to be juicy. :gaycat5: 

Hector

Woo, can't wait :jonny5: 

Swag Koons

the confidence to do so :fan:

George Michael also directed his biography (it wasn't a movie, tho, it's a documentary), and I think the pay-off was remarkable.
There's no one better than the artist to guide something like this. And I know she won't dodge any controversial moment, she's proud of her career's ups and downs. I'm honestly excited. 

lovedaddy

a real A STAR IS BORN

DbmTsewUQAABVUo.jpg

:jonny5:

Edited by lovedaddy

sickening

oo this better snap

Petty Bourgeoisie

Icon tingz but Madonna is not a good filmmaker so I hope the good sistrens at Miss Universal can give her a hand

Khal

I guess that's one way of ensuring your story is told faithfully. But there's nothing to show she's a good director (so far) and considering her power, she could have gotten almost any director she wanted to do this.

ALA

She's gonna direct it too? :deadbanana:

Idk about this but keen to see how it turns out and who they cast. 

dabunique

Can’t wait 

allforyou

Queen coming for the Oscars :clap3:

Aria

Coming for 20% Rotten Tomatoes score, whew!

image.png

campelo

She has done a great job in W.E but this ain't it

X~MoviePoP
7 minutes ago, Aria said:

Coming for 20% Rotten Tomatoes score, whew!

image.png

Oh

Slate

Perched

Almost Home

This was an awful idea. Who let her? :deadbanana:

Bey'Knight

Well it’s over.gif :ace: :jonny5:

I had such high hopes too. To think she has the most storied history of any MPG :doc:

filmman

Ewwww :mazen:

delusional egomaniac old bitch. i wish the worst

Fitzswiftie

David Fincher would’ve been nice homage tbh

StartOver

SHE'S GONNA DIRECT???? i'm scared now :deadbanana4:

Beyonnaise

Mmm... I feel like Diablo should have taken the reigns with Madonna just providing a lot of her input. I think a director should be removed from the subject's own natural biases.

Outlaws
5 minutes ago, filmman said:

Ewwww :mazen:

delusional egomaniac old bitch. i wish the worst

:deadbanana:

ReverseWarholian

Big mistake 

Daddy

Oh my god, please don't! :deadbanana2: