Angelo

Is “Folklore” success what “Lemonade” & “ST” aspired to be?

G'Day

Success? Folklore’s numbers are obviously better than ST and Lemonade (I’d bring up the availability of all 3 upon release but I don’t want to make excuses). However, I think Folklore’s overall success stops at sales as of rn.

I don’t think Folklore will have the same cultural impact as ST (Australian skyscraper modeled after the “Ghost” video, Harvard Business School case study) or Lemonade (Royal National Theatre making a costume directly inspired by the “Hold Up” dress, Broadway musical Six creating a character inspired by “Lemonade-Era Beyoncé,” Kimmy Schmidt episode dedicated to Lemonade). And these are just some very specific and easily cited examples of those album’s impacts.

I also don’t think it will have the same acclaim as Lemonade. Folklore isn’t even in the Top 3 most-acclaimed female albums of the year, whereas Lemonade was the 2nd most-acclaimed album of 2016 and the most-acclaimed female album of the year. It also was the overall most-acclaimed female album of the 2010s according to decade-end lists and has a Peabody award.

Of course we’ll have to wait until the end of the decade to see how Folklore does and see throughout the upcoming years if there is any cultural impact.

TLDR I see it right now as:

Commercial Success: Folklore > ST > Lemonade 

Acclaim: Lemonade > Folklore > ST

Impact: Lemonade > ST > Folklore

This can all change however, but I will definitely give Folklore the most commercial success 

zoldyck

Folklore is for sure more successful. Much more profitable for label/artist than ST or Lemonade considering the number of writers/producers/videos/promo(so far)/sales(so far) and streams(so far). Ofcourse things can change in future but upto their 7th week Taylor is proving to be far more successful

Ramirodri

folklore is no cultural event.

Sept

Wow the receipts in this thread 

Haters still saying Lemonade had no impact :ahh: :ahh: :ahh: 

QueenBeyoncé
13 hours ago, G'Day said:

Success? Folklore’s numbers are obviously better than ST and Lemonade (I’d bring up the availability of all 3 upon release but I don’t want to make excuses). However, I think Folklore’s overall success stops at sales as of rn.

I don’t think Folklore will have the same cultural impact as ST (Australian skyscraper modeled after the “Ghost” video, Harvard Business School case study) or Lemonade (Royal National Theatre making a costume directly inspired by the “Hold Up” dress, Broadway musical Six creating a character inspired by “Lemonade-Era Beyoncé,” Kimmy Schmidt episode dedicated to Lemonade). And these are just some very specific and easily cited examples of those album’s impacts.

I also don’t think it will have the same acclaim as Lemonade. Folklore isn’t even in the Top 3 most-acclaimed female albums of the year, whereas Lemonade was the 2nd most-acclaimed album of 2016 and the most-acclaimed female album of the year. It also was the overall most-acclaimed female album of the 2010s according to decade-end lists and has a Peabody award.

Of course we’ll have to wait until the end of the decade to see how Folklore does and see throughout the upcoming years if there is any cultural impact.

This can all change however, but I will definitely give Folklore the most commercial success 

How when Folklore has yet to surpass ST or Lemonade sales. :skull:

Edited by QueenBeyoncé

G'Day
45 minutes ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

How when Folklore has yet to surpass ST or Lemonade sales. :skull:

I mean obviously it hasn’t matched sales since it’s not 2 months old but I was more talking debut + weeks at #1 + streaming record and assuming that it will have more units (or at least more comparably in the 2020 market) when all is said and done

But like I said it’s all subject to change 

Mr. Duff

To be honest, I didn't really feel ST or lemonade's impact, but maybe it's just me because I'm not from the US. So I have to say Folklore - despite not having huge singles it is talked about for weeks up to now, and I feel like even though Taylor doesn't promote it, it will have a second wind during Grammy campaign/period.

The Hive in here fuming—but what’s new? :dies:

OT: Yes, but it isn’t just Bey/ST/Lemonade. Ever since her debut, Taylor has been doing what the others just simply can’t, and then going above and beyond. It makes the girlies mad, but we love to see it. :clap3:

Misguided Ghost
On 9/10/2020 at 10:38 PM, iHype. said:

How were Lemonade & BEYONCE not as successful, if not, more successful?? :rip: Also the undeniable FACT those two albums made it a thing for mainstream artists like Taylor to be able to surprise drop an album with no traditional rollout. The absolute nerve to claim Beyonce who set the standard failed in comparison.

This screams trying to erase a black persons achievements/impact with whitewashing. Yikes.

All of this.

Taylor stans always bring up sales while attempting to "drag" other girls, because this is frankly all she has and will be known for for years to come. I am yet to see Taylors lasting impact on music as her albums always do incredibly well in sales department, but fail to inspire, push boundaries or create a conversation (and no, her "scandals" and neverending feud with Kanye is not it). Cute pop music and that's all.

newwil7l
1 hour ago, Misguided Ghost said:

All of this.

Taylor stans always bring up sales while attempting to "drag" other girls, because this is frankly all she has and will be known for for years to come. I am yet to see Taylors lasting impact on music as her albums always do incredibly well in sales department, but fail to inspire, push boundaries or create a conversation (and no, her "scandals" and neverending feud with Kanye is not it). Cute pop music and that's all.

You girls are so embarrassing with your conversation and impact nonsense. Taylor is the only girl with actual impact she forced corporations to start paying artists what they deserved on streaming services and she doesn't rely on gimmicks to make a change. A single instagram post from her caused people to register and vote in mass. 

Taylor has the success because she is actually powerful. Beyonce relies on media hype and actually can't back it up as those awful numbers show :toofunny2:

BlueTimberwolf
19 minutes ago, newwil7l said:

You girls are so embarrassing with your conversation and impact nonsense. Taylor is the only girl with actual impact she forced corporations to start paying artists what they deserved on streaming services and she doesn't rely on gimmicks to make a change. A single instagram post from her caused people to register and vote in mass. 

Taylor has the success because she is actually powerful. Beyonce relies on media hype and actually can't back it up as those awful numbers show :toofunny2:

That has nothing to do with her music though.  

Snoopy

folklore feels bigger definitely. but im not from the us, so people here don't really listen to the other girl.

My Tears Ricochet
23 minutes ago, newwil7l said:

Oh wow:clap3: That's called real impact, because we can see the results. In Bey's case, it's all media propaganda and that's it. You made some points. Taylor, impactful legend 

gL6AQU.gif

GreatestLoveofAll

I mean both ST and Lemonade are multi-platinum and did well on the charts. Dont think Bey has much more to aspire to when it comes to that. 

GreatestLoveofAll
10 hours ago, newwil7l said:

Beyonce has had a pretty big impact with her MUSIC. Literally google it if you think it sounds less true coming from ATRL stans. 

Smilers

Lemonade and ST are both successful eras in their own right, stop pitting two successful women.

BnPac
On 9/13/2020 at 5:38 AM, Chiidish said:

this clock :bibliahh:

In fact I'd argue lemonade was more impactful than ST 

Far more. Most music fans know the name of that album, it was way more discussed, praised and talked about than ST. The album is more referenced in tv series and movies that ST ever was. ST does have sales and the surprise drop on its side, which is not nothing but LEM obliterates it. 

Arte, a German art & culture Chanel even had a whole documentary about that album and visuals. 

—————

As for the rest, it’ll be such a nice change if Atrl could just disagree respectfully. Those three albums are successful, I don’t see why something should be taking away from ST and LEM just because Folklore has more sales. 

Edited by BnPac

Chiidish
On 9/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, G'Day said:

This is all that needs to be said. Thanks :clap3:

Artistofthedecade
12 hours ago, Misguided Ghost said:

All of this.

Go say that to countless artists who call Taylor as ther influence. 

10 hours ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

That has nothing to do with her music though.  

The corporation he wad talking about was Apple music and payment rules to music artist of it. 

BnPac
On 9/11/2020 at 6:43 PM, Digitalism said:

She didn't in folklore and it is still doing better than lemonade 

She did, just because she wrote from 3 different perspectives doesn’t mean it’s not personal. And I don’t see what success has to do with my previous post. 

Destiny
On 9/11/2020 at 1:48 PM, Rhiannon said:

Where?:rip:

On 9/11/2020 at 1:55 PM, GagaTomFord said:

the bubble you live in :rip:

On 9/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, My Tears Ricochet said:

:bibliahh:

On 9/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, peterstyles13 said:

:skull:

Part of the reason she's the most discussed female musician on social media (and your faves aren't!) is because of the blockbuster that is BLACK IS KING :cm:

Ya'll thought ya'll did summnn & I got bored with this dumb conversation but ya'll should STOP living in a BUBBLE! There's a whole world outside ATRL Base threads. Beyoncé still causes major interest and conversation. Just because she wasn't the topic between your circle of friends in nazi Germany doesn't mean "nobody cares" about her. This is the real ****ing world! :devil:

GagaTomFord
8 hours ago, Destiny said:

Part of the reason she's the most discussed female musician on social media (and your faves aren't!) is because of the blockbuster that is BLACK IS KING :cm:

Ya'll thought ya'll did summnn & I got bored with this dumb conversation but ya'll should STOP living in a BUBBLE! There's a whole world outside ATRL Base threads. Beyoncé still causes major interest and conversation. Just because she wasn't the topic between your circle of friends in nazi Germany doesn't mean "nobody cares" about her. This is the real ****ing world! :devil:

literal worms for brains- a hive member calling everyone nazis/nazi sympathizers is a new one

disgusting. absolutely disgusting. 

Actorguy21

It seems like the swifties are caught up in numbers, which numbers don't lie but they also don't tell the entire truth either.

Taylor's first album has sold more copies than Bey's first album (US stats) even though it was released a few years later however no one with good sense and knowledge of popular music would ever say that Taylor's self titled project was bigger than DIL because it simply wasn't. The way music impacts the culture is a very real thing, and I think you guys tend to downplay that a lot in favor of the charts, think about it like this, Lil Baby had an album spend 5 nonconsecutive weeks at #1 on BB200, I bet hardly any of you know the name of that album and any songs from that album. 

Getting to my point before I get too off topic, Folklore had an amazing rollout and she sold a ton of copies. However, that album still wasn't bigger than ST during it's release week or it's initial run, ST had the entire world engaging and consuming it. The same can't be said for folklore, and before you guys hit me with "6weeks at #1 from billboard says hi," or "840k copies says hi" I'll kindly refer you to Lil baby's weeks at #1 and Lover's first week sales. Charts and numbers don't always tell complete stories and I wish you guys would understand that. No shade to Taylor because she's a decent artist (not my fave obviously) and she has had really huge moments in her career but ST was an all encompassing rollout and release and to deny that is just blind stanning. 

L.B GAGA

ST and Lemonade had more impact. Folklore is a non event and anyway it cant be a cultural event as its suburban music which sells well like Norah Jones or Alanis Morrissette, white music penetrates certain places like asia, South american countries than the rest due to colorism than black music. In the western hemisphere urban music is streaming well today, so would have a bigger cultural impact but most suburban white folks wont buy the music. 

T.O.A.D.S.

Nobody in the real world is talking about Folklore. 

The marketing strategy of releasing an album with little or no notice was the subject of a case study at Harvard University School of Business thanks to self titled. x

Dozens of universities created courses about Lemonade. There are too many to list. 

So many years have passed but we are still talking about ST and Lemonade. Will the media or the general public even remember Folklore next year?