SelenaGomez<3

Winx Club- Black Character having a Meltdown over her Afro

Ananas

Not ''normally it's straight'' :skull: what a mess

carpetbeetle

This is awful. Afros have always been the go to hairstyles when cartoons draw a “bad hair day” for laughs. This is....I can’t imagine seeing this as a kid. 

Mr.Marvelous

It's an Italian show from 16 years ago, what did you expect :skull:

klynb

I was trying to get into Winx Club earlier this year and when I saw that moment...what a mess. I was sitting there with my hair styled in an afro wishing that mine looked like HERS cause it was gorgeous. But well, what did we expect from the show that gave it's black characters straight hair (they could have at least used 3C or something if they wanted to do that) and later lightened their skin. Still what a horrible moment. Anti-blackness is everywhere...

Cloudy

I remember I watched this when I was young and even then I thought how odd it was. I thought but she's black and the hair looks nice, like those afro black women have, why did they make it out to be like a bad thing? :skull:

Hatterene
25 minutes ago, Mr.Marvelous said:

It's an Italian show from 16 years ago, what did you expect :skull:

human decency

ChrispyBelievix

Yup it's a very strange moment on the show and really unnecessary. It also makes it worse that this episodes was supposed to celebrate beauty.

While the show itself is great in promoting diversity and people coming together from different backgrounds and forming bonds, (and also had the first black princess in a European cartoon)...

this moment (and also the whitewashing that has happened in the newest season) will always be inexcusable.

Italians...

ProudLBS
1 hour ago, SelenaGomez<3 said:

anyways Sailor Moon was always better:cm:

Sailor Moon was such a lesbian funfest lmao

but between this scene and Chibiusa wanting to bang her own dad tbh idk what's worse :skull:

B'Day

What was the point of this, especially when her afro looks so healthy and thick? Her hair looks better than her 'friends' if I'm being honest. Anti-blackness and texturism sucks big time. Thank God I never watched this episode as a child.

Pendulum

@KillingYourCareer you have some explaining to do!

Vrx.

W.I.T.C.H. was always better in terms of animated shows and diversity

KillingYourCareer
18 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

In the early 2000s straight hair were IT as opposed to the 80s when everyone wanted massive curls, but now times have changed in favor of appreciation for diversity!

PennywiseTheClown
Posted (edited)

If I remember it correctly the Trix were sabotaging contestants so they could steal Stella's ring right? So, giving a girl who's probably insecure about her natural hair, or just prefers it straightened, her natural hair would be completely within their evil character. But anyway, someone who sifts through a tv show from 2003 to find some minor (possibly) problematic scenes, and then proceeds to make a video about it, needs to find a hobby imo

Edited by PennywiseTheClown

Ghiles

Ddddd i remember this episode. The way there is a key change each time she cries  :deadbanana4:

confide in me

This is a mess

At least the 4Kids dub fixed it :swan:

Pandora30012

not stormy s afro being ok cause shes white 

Souvenir
10 minutes ago, Pandora30012 said:

not stormy s afro being ok cause shes white 

right?! :rip: oh my god...

rihannabiggestfan
2 hours ago, Pendulum said:

nnn you're the one that dragged me for bringing you up in a thread that has to do with your country :rip:

Da Vinci

Was more of a W.I.T.C.H. type of homo growing up anyway :cm: 

Pendulum
16 hours ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

nnn you're the one that dragged me for bringing you up in a thread that has to do with your country :rip:

I didn't?