Timber

Will Dua block Taylor again?

Timber

In terms of having the biggest global female album release of the year?

In 2017, Dua Lipa released her debut album, Dua Lipa, and it managed to do 7.3m album equivalents from streams alone, with the addition of pure sales and single sales, the album is likely around 10m album equivalents. Released that same year, Reputation was the 2nd biggest album of the year with 2.5m album equivalents from streams alone and a grand total of about 7.2m album equivalents.

In 2020, it seems like they are once again competing for the top spot, at the moment Future Nostalgia has 2.1m album equivalents from streams alone, possibly about 3m total. Folklore has done 606k from streams alone, not sure about the total.

Both are still doing amazing streaming numbers daily.

K6YX2lHTGvnZ0WLY-6aWn0oRUh1s-j2L794XlYJH1R_l5dHIOAwGRsNsoBOEUloZh-xgqtb3VMC4uLc4_-GIk64nDEuw4E_CkoYXirq8gIPOJWgE4VdOlkNmiL_BLsRpd5TR_PBm

Note: I like both of these girls. The only reason I'm comparing them 2 specifically is because they are doing the best in 2020. I wish them both nothing but the best. :heart:

Stream Un Dia and August

mcohen
Posted (edited)

Dua's label CEO confirmed her debut album was at 4m equivalents globally this year. Which is more or less what reputation has done in the US alone. Guess Spotify total album streams doesn't really mean units counted. Regarding folklore, I'm not sure but I would be surprised if it was. Their placements on the IFPI Artist Chart should give us an idea 

Unless you mean on Chartmaster, not global units. That's a whole other thing

Edited by mcohen

Timber
2 hours ago, mcohen said:

Dua's label CEO confirmed her debut album was at 4m equivalents globally this year. Which is more or less what reputation has done in the US alone. Guess Spotify total album streams doesn't really mean units counted. Regarding folklore, I'm not sure but I would be surprised if it was. Their placements on the IFPI Artist Chart should give us an idea 

Unless you mean on Chartmaster, not global units. That's a whole other thing

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something, or I lack the knowledge to be certain about what you said, but the text you supplied reads as if the writer of the article is saying what she sold, not her label CEO. 

As predicted by Warner Records president Phil Christie, consistent streaming volumes have kept Dua Lipa at No.1 or thereabouts since its release in March. Future Nostalgia, which narrowly lost out to Lewis Capaldi in the race for No.1 last week, has sales to date of 104,723, according to the Official Charts Company.

But it turns out that Dua Lipa and her label team were well aware of the potential for difficult second album syndrome. 

“I certainly had an anxiety, as she got bigger and bigger; I had a worry of how we were going to follow this up,” Warner Records’ head of A&R Joe Kentish told Music Week. “I'm well versed in the lore of second albums. At the time, I found it really quite surprising, actually, that Dua didn't seem to be absorbing any of that, she was definitely front foot forward and attacked making the record with a real energy and enthusiasm.

“But then, just before we came to release the first single [Don’t Start Now], she opened up about the fact that it was an absolutely conscious decision, that she kind of felt the anxiety building up in her and decided to go the completely opposite way and to really attack the process, which she didn’t share with me right at the beginning of it all. That approach was a lot more helpful to her, than to really be putting yourself under unbelievable amounts of pressure to follow up the first record.” 

Dua Lipa’s self-titled 2017 debut LP has UK sales of 623,084 and a global tally of four million.

“We had a quite a long time to look forward to the second album, because the success kept building through the first record, post-release with [singles] New Rules and IDGAF,” said Kentish. “The deluxe version with the features on it kept building. So we were actually looking forward to this second record for quite a long time.”

Taylor fanboy

IFPI has reputation as the biggest female album in the world that year only behind the world’s biggest musicians — Ed and Drake.

Am I missing a certain timeframe?

giphy.gif

littlebodybigheart

i don’t think those figures for dua are...correct

AvrilLaQueen

Yes, Dua actually makes good quality music. She's not a female Ed Sheeran

Rodrighost

yes :clap3:

gotportugal

They are both top2 in each year. Dua's will be the most streamed, but most countries just don't value streams well. and Taylor is a pure sales MEGA BEAST so she's def sold more. And folklore will probably sell more (at least this year, FN will have the longevity)

Ash12345

Pretty sure the pure sales will put Folklore ahead this year.

Jaffery
20 hours ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

Yes, Dua actually makes good quality music. She's not a female Ed Sheeran

Ed sheeran out streams all your favourites in his sleep. This isn’t about your subjective crap taste in music, it’s about stats. she wishes she was the females Ed sheeran selling out stadiums all around the world in minutes

Meev

Pitting Dua against Taylor is....... not smart :giraffe:

mcohen
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Timber said:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something, or I lack the knowledge to be certain about what you said, but the text you supplied reads as if the writer of the article is saying what she sold, not her label CEO. 

As predicted by Warner Records president Phil Christie, consistent streaming volumes have kept Dua Lipa at No.1 or thereabouts since its release in March. Future Nostalgia, which narrowly lost out to Lewis Capaldi in the race for No.1 last week, has sales to date of 104,723, according to the Official Charts Company.

But it turns out that Dua Lipa and her label team were well aware of the potential for difficult second album syndrome. 

“I certainly had an anxiety, as she got bigger and bigger; I had a worry of how we were going to follow this up,” Warner Records’ head of A&R Joe Kentish told Music Week. “I'm well versed in the lore of second albums. At the time, I found it really quite surprising, actually, that Dua didn't seem to be absorbing any of that, she was definitely front foot forward and attacked making the record with a real energy and enthusiasm.

“But then, just before we came to release the first single [Don’t Start Now], she opened up about the fact that it was an absolutely conscious decision, that she kind of felt the anxiety building up in her and decided to go the completely opposite way and to really attack the process, which she didn’t share with me right at the beginning of it all. That approach was a lot more helpful to her, than to really be putting yourself under unbelievable amounts of pressure to follow up the first record.” 

Dua Lipa’s self-titled 2017 debut LP has UK sales of 623,084 and a global tally of four million.

“We had a quite a long time to look forward to the second album, because the success kept building through the first record, post-release with [singles] New Rules and IDGAF,” said Kentish. “The deluxe version with the features on it kept building. So we were actually looking forward to this second record for quite a long time.”

Sorry. The data was provided by Warner Records’ head of A&R Joe Kentish, not the label CEO :)

Edited by mcohen

My Tears Ricochet

Is this a joke? Folkore is only 3 weeks old and already outsold Dua Lipa with ease in US, on its first week itself. She'll surpass her worldwide, in a matter of weeks. 

Luckitty

OP lives in an alternate timeline i think

Mr. Stratus
38 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Is this a joke? Folkore is only 3 weeks old and already outsold Dua Lipa with ease in US, on its first week itself. She'll surpass her worldwide, in a matter of weeks. 

Some use faulty numbers and chart masters etc instead of what reality actually is :toofunny2:

free streams and YouTube aren't the same as physical sales, digital sales, and on demand 

genio

Dua is more global so probably

FAz0h8d.gif

mcohen
1 minute ago, Genio said:

Dua is more global so probably

FAz0h8d.gif

Thankfully the IFPI will confirm all of this 

FAz0h8d.gif

genio
Just now, mcohen said:

Thankfully the IFPI will confirm all of this