supertiffany

did STREAMING change the CREATIVE SIDE of music industry?

supertiffany

Streaming obviously changed the BUSINESS SIDE of the MUSIC INDUSTRY

but it has also changed the CREATIVE SIDE of the industry too

1. songs are getting shorter

2. albums are having getting more fillers

do you think so too?

what other things streaming changed creative-wise ?

K$Ellie

If anything, pop albums have gotten shorter. 16+ songs used to be the standard :giraffe:

GoodGuyGoneGhetto

No.

argos

Folklore is a huge streaming smash and doesn't go by those rules so no

argos

Folklore is a huge streaming smash and doesn't go by those rules so no

Claw

Yes indisputably from a big label perspective.

But you can still be an independent artist and put out the music you want to. Unfortunately I think Covid closures have made that harder touring-wise.

Rith
21 minutes ago, K$Ellie said:

If anything, pop albums have gotten shorter. 16+ songs used to be the standard :giraffe:

isn't the best tactic musically creative route having a lot of short songs, so they will generate more streams be able to tell the stories of artists more?

Thinking Of You
24 minutes ago, K$Ellie said:

This isn’t true. Pop albums have always been short. I mean, it dates back even to the 80s. All the classic pop albums are 8-12 tracks. 

Madame X

i wouldnt say pop albums have gotten shorter but songs definitel have, biggest example being old town road and chromatica.

the dominant genres on streaming (hip hop) have changed how pop has sounded as well. 

Lights and Waves

The shortening of songs sucks. Especially Gaga's.

sweetkiss

yes, shorter songs, no videos, no music videos with concept, singles or short eps, no interviews, no outfit changes in videos, no booklets, or outfit changes in booklets, no lyrics posted all the time, frequent releases but less classics

Ramirodri

definitely maybe

BlackStar_93

To an extent, I think its has stifled the creative process of making an album: shorter songs, quick little singles, lots of fillers on albums to pad them out for additional streams etc. I think artists are less inclined to put as much energy/effort into an album these days as the turnover is so quick. It's not like the 00's/10's with long drawn out album campaigns, months between the lead and  album release etc. Because of how 'on demand' albums are these days, most singles beyond the lead are futile, so eras are pretty much over within a matter of months. 

I miss the days when album releases felt like huge events. They come and go so quickly these days. 

Talking Fish

The only downside is less high budget music videos :!ohno: 

Totami Legend
Posted (edited)

There is no promo, artists used to do fun interviews, performances, acting, live events and such. 

Now they just drop quick singles and the label push them with money on the radio. (In the best cases)

Edited by Totami Legend

Marco_g2

Long songs were overrated anyways. Justin Timberlake's albums are a drag. But the singles and single versions are fire.

Reza

oh you are talking about for generic artists. Yes i guess so. On the other side i think newer artists are able to put their amazing music out there without a record label and thats a good thing. :clap3: 

Kimi

it’s better than ever

M André

No, streaming is a blessing for indie and niche artists who struggled to pull the right numbers to stay afloat in the industry. Just because a couple of mainstream artist try to abuse a formulaic way to gain numbers, doesn’t mean the whole industry plays by the same rules.

TeenageDreaming

Nope not at all actually the complete opposite.

While mainstream pop could be argued as getting worse the whole new wave of pop artists that the streaming era has given us far outweighs the bad ones. Take bedroom pop or Hyperpop as example, artists can now be more expiremental and still be successful because of how easy it is to upload music to streaming sites.

FINEWEATHER

It’s always been a place of wash rinse repeat so......

éclat

I'm glad songs are getting shorter, no more waiting 30+ seconds for songs to start or a whole ass minute instrument solos :chick3: some of my favorite songs love to drag on.

Enzolorenzo

I hate the fact that songs are getting shorter tbh. They’re starting to sound like they’re unfinished or something lol

brraap

Streaming allows every artist to have a shot at their songs being heard due to the algorithms and accessibility provided by the digital means. They don't also need a huge label to back them and release their work. If anything creativity has increased due to the larger playing pool of sounds being released, and not just one tired genre dominating like pop did a couple of years back due to radio only picking large machine-driven artists to play

Katniss

For the unknown, independent artists absolutely, but the established ones definitely not as it allowed them to be extremely lazy imo.