MingYouToo

Is Gaga's career overhyped on ATRL?

Is Gaga's career overhyped on ATRL?  

330 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Gaga's career overhyped on ATRL?

    • Easily. 3 years of a massive peak followed by 7 years of uncertainty does not make for a massive career.
      218
    • No. She's a legend and belongs with Britney and Beyoncé up there!
      111


Recommended Posts

MingYouToo
Posted (edited)

I support Gaga actively and ever since ROM I'm proud of how she came back to finally nabbing some chart power of her own after more than half a decade of standing on shaky ground.

 

But the moment her 2nd single debuted at #1 and only spent 3 weeks in the Top 10 thereafter, her fans are starting to act like she's suddenly come back to be as big as the IT girls right now; Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande. When looking at the numbers, its clear she's still lagging behind at least 5 female artists as of the moment (Taylor, Ari, Billie, Dua, Cardi, hell even Beyoncé had a multiweek #1 smash in 2020 without lifting a finger, and she debuted more than a decade before Gaga).

 

One can argue that sHeS aN oScAr wInNeR and that it makes her just as big as the former girls but why does her musical stats as of recent not compare at all?

 

Its almost like a #1 debut with a feature from the hottest artist singing dancepop is enough to erase 7 years (5 if we want to pretend ARTPOP was an aRtS nOt tHe cHaRtS moment for her and that C2C was her 'iNdIe jAzZ era') of constant B-list level success. it doesnt

 

Is Gaga's career overhyped on ATRL?

Edited by MingYouToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raf Simons

I feel like Chromatica is not the right album/era to judge her career trajectory or something. She came back to her traditional dance-pop sound which was basically rejected by people years ago after years of rebranding and versatility, with the era suspended in multiple occasions and not expressed in its full potential. 
 

The GP still knows who Lady Gaga is by the way, and just gave it one of her biggest songs/albums/eras last year, she wouldn’t surely be in Taylor’s league but not even as low as Katy or Britney to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pop Art

Just the opposite. :skull:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Villanelle

Yes

 

Z0Ypsnh.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ItsJim

Who's isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My Tears Ricochet

If anything she's underappreciated here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CakeLikeLG

people call her a fad since literally 2011 yet she is always compared to new it girls. She can never win 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pop Art
10 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

But the moment her 2nd single debuted at #1 and only spent 3 weeks in the Top 10 thereafter, her fans are starting to act like she's suddenly come back to be as big as the IT girls right now; Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande. When looking at the numbers, its clear she's still lagging behind at least 5 female artists as of the moment (Taylor, Ari, Billie, Dua, Cardi, hell even Beyoncé had a multiweek #1 smash in 2020 without lifting a finger, and she debuted more than a decade before Gaga).

Also FYI Rain On Me was in the Top 10 for 4 weeks and Beyoncé did not get a multi-week #1 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Petty Bourgeoisie

You didn't lie :oh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natawie

I agree!
90939_900.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MingYouToo
Just now, Pop Art said:

Also FYI Rain On Me was in the Top 10 for 4 weeks and Beyoncé did not get a multi-week #1 this year.

sorry I meant a #1 that spent multiple weeks in the Top 10.

 

well I stand corrected from 3 to 4. But semantics.

Just now, CakeLikeLG said:

people call her a fad since literally 2011 yet she is always compared to new it girls. She can never win 

 

 

she is always compared because her career unlike Katy's which is most likely dead already, is always in limbo. And that's not a good sign, she can always come back, and she always will, IF the material is there.

 

But for so many threads comparing her performance to girls who have NEVER had a genuine underperformance like Taylor Swift is borderline ridiculous and meant to set her up, which makes me think she's kinda overhyped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MingYouToo
Just now, Raf Simons said:

I feel like Chromatica is not the right album/era to judge her career trajectory or something. She came back to her traditional dance-pop sound which was basically rejected by people years ago after years of rebranding and versatility, with the era suspended in multiple occasions and not expressed in its full potential. 
 

The GP still knows who Lady Gaga is by the way, and just gave it one of her biggest songs/albums/eras last year, she wouldn’t surely be in Taylor’s league but not even as low as Katy or Britney to be honest. 

tea :heart:

 

I guess I'm just pretty curious as to why so many girls here love to lump her in with Taylor, Ariana and the other big league girls when she's still embracing a Phoenix style rebirth and hopefully next era, regains that solo 2008-2011 solo chart power she lost :hughard:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tusk

Gaga wanted fame and fortune. Her fans haven’t let her transition from being a musician to a celebrity. She seems uninterested in making music nowadays and just wants to rely on her celebrity status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoneHome

Her career is in limbo but she’s gotten two #1s in the last year and a half, ROM smashed outside of the US and her career outside of music is strong. 
 

She’s not on the level of some artists but that’s okay. She had her time on top and now she’s just doing average-good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pop Art
2 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

sorry I meant a #1 that spent multiple weeks in the Top 10.

 

well I stand corrected from 3 to 4. But semantics.

Is...4 weeks not multiple weeks as well? :psyduck: I know exactly what you're trying to say though (that Beyoncé had the bigger hit, which is arguable in the US but not outside of it), just wish the wording was a bit better. :hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
genio

Not nearly as overhyped as someone like Miss Swift or Miss Cabello

 

90939_900.gif

 

She actually deservers her success and hype therefore. Miss Germanotta is 12 years into her career, still gathering #1 debuts, Grammys and Oscars, which are all hard to get

 

90939_900.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fentypark

it’s the poll for me :dies:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Breathe On Moi

Well you’re a Gaga fan and you’re saying this so it’s clearly true. And I actually happen to agree. :cm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MingYouToo
Just now, GoneHome said:

Her career is in limbo but she’s gotten two #1s in the last year and a half, ROM smashed outside of the US and her career outside of music is strong. 
 

She’s not on the level of some artists but that’s okay. She had her time on top and now she’s just doing average-good. 

this scalding hot tea :hughard:we love a multimedia icon!

 

love how she flops when she brings sh*t material but always ends up staying whenever she brings QUALITY ugh some girls cant even score a hit with a good song 

Just now, Genio said:

Not nearly as overhyped as someone like Miss Swift or Miss Cabello

 

90939_900.gif

 

She actually deservers her success and hype therefore. Miss Germanotta is 12 years into her career, still gathering #1 debuts, Grammys and Oscars, which are all hard to get

 

90939_900.gif

one is not like the other maam.

 

Swift has done countless things as a musician Lady Gaga could only hope for, and Swift can only wish to achieve the versatility and performance skills of Miss Ga!

 

both talented at successful women with #1 hits in 2020! :heart2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
duybeeGAshantiGA

Being delusional as you want :zzz: okay Gaga is a fad and unsuccessful. Satisfied yet OGHs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MingYouToo
Just now, Breathe On Moi said:

Well you’re a Gaga fan and you’re saying this so it’s clearly true. And I actually happen to agree. :cm:

i am a fan of her pop output! 

 

amazing bops, sadly the charts have had their time with her but now shes slowly but steadily regaining the pop throne she lost! :hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TKO

She had 3 massive years with TFM until BTW (and even that was frontloaded and most singles Judas-Marry The Night-You and I underperformed).

The Artpop-Cheek To Cheek-Joanne years weren't memorable at all and she jumped back to the spotlight with Shallow. One year later and she went back to her Artpop standards with Stupid Love and she needed Ariana Grande's hype and ROM saved Chromatica, but aside from that single there isn't anything memorable about the era. Not even one performance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MusicTalker
6 minutes ago, GoneHome said:

Her career is in limbo but she’s gotten two #1s in the last year and a half, ROM smashed outside of the US and her career outside of music is strong. 
 

She’s not on the level of some artists but that’s okay. She had her time on top and now she’s just doing average-good. 

ASIB & Shallow solidified her long term impact on pop culture. Rain On Me going #1 too was just the cherry on top. She doesn’t need to prove she’s “not a fad” anymore because she already has proved over & over again she isn’t (I say this because the amount of people who call her a fad on here is crazy). Not matching your monumental career peak =/= “fad”. 
 

She may not be Ari/Billie level in 2020 but they’re at totally different points in their career & she’s doing awesome for someone who got their first career peak 11-12 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights and Waves

She just got an Oscar, a bunch of grammys, and two #1s ten+ years into her career. I'm sorry you're pressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MingYouToo
Just now, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Being delusional as you want :zzz: okay Gaga is a fad and unsuccessful. Satisfied yet OGHs?

i literally said nothing of the sort :rip:

 

the way yall go on the offensive when the entire OP is an observation and not a hate tirade like most OGHs.

 

I love Gaga, but I'm clearly aware of how shaky she is in terms of success in the music industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites