kelly-clarkson

Disney to launch another Streaming Service on 2021

kelly-clarkson
Posted (edited)

Disney has announced plans to launch a new international streaming service under its Star brand name in 2021.

According to The Verge, Disney CEO Bob Chapek revealed the news on a recent quarterly earnings call, in which he outlined the company's plans to expand its streaming offering by distributing content from ABC, FX, Freeform, Searchlight, and 20th Century Studios on a new international streaming platform geared towards "general entertainment," which will not license any third-party content.

"In terms of the general entertainment offering internationally, we want to mirror our successful Disney Plus strategy by using our Disney Plus technical platform, bringing in content we already own and distributing it under a successful international brand that we also already own, which is, of course, Star," Chapek announced on the call.

Chapek went on to explain why Disney opted to launch a new platform rather than expand Hulu to the international market. As part of his explanation, he revealed that the new streaming service will only offer Disney-owned content through its Star brand, which is an already established name overseas, unlike Hulu that has "no brand awareness outside of the US."

Edited by kelly-clarkson

Can't_M!ss_This

Enough.gif

DesiredConsternation

All these different platforms are exhausting. This is why mycloud is better

lepetitmonstr

Good luck :toofunny3:

Ryuuchan_X

Subscribing to all of these streaming services is starting to become almost as expensive as cable :rip: 

MrLovett

So basically they're putting all the stuff on Hulu onto Star in the rest of the world. I'm from the UK and I've never heard of Star, but do know Hulu. :skull: Weird decision, but as long as we get the content, I don't really care.

Caesar
3 minutes ago, Ryuuchan_X said:

Subscribing to all of these streaming services is starting to become almost as expensive as cable :rip: 

it is at this point :skull: 

LIMA

"no brand awareness outside of the US."

bitch, we know of hulu and we want it overseas

these white collar dudes are clueless

release anything with a good press release and people will eat it up

now WTF is a stars, never heard of it

nathanspears

he revealed that the new streaming service will only offer Disney-owned content through its Star brand, which is an already established name overseas, unlike Hulu that has "no brand awareness outside of the US."

I'm in the UK and NEVER heard of "Star" :skull:

Hulu is IT though, just make that international????

Dancehall

Hulu is a much better name/brand than Star.

Anthem

Not from the US, and I have never heard of Star. First thing I thought of was the Lions Gate cable channel, Starz. Definitely would make more sense to just expand the Hulu brand, as most of us outside the US know what it is and have been waiting for it.

Anthurium

Not them thinking Star is more known than Hulu :dies:

Stegeo

Mess. Why not just have one streaming service in Disney+ and make that international instead?:rip:  I'm from Europe and in my country you can't access it.

dooart
49 minutes ago, kelly-clarkson said:

Chapek went on to explain why Disney opted to launch a new platform rather than expand Hulu to the international market. As part of his explanation, he revealed that the new streaming service will only offer Disney-owned content through its Star brand, which is an already established name overseas, unlike Hulu that has "no brand awareness outside of the US."

This mfing lie. Everyone knows Hulu, now wtf is Star? No one knows what that is. Where is it popular? Maybe India? bc things there are usually very local and popular inside India itself but are not "exported" / famous outside of India.

It's the only logic I can think tbh bc India has almost 1,5 billion people so it'd make it more known than Hulu in absolute numbers ww? idk.

Chapek should've kept it real and said that they don't want to expand Hulu bc although they have full control, Comcast still has a 33% share or sumn and as far as I know Star is fully controlled by them.

Happy that they are finally finding somewhere to put Fox's and Disney's more mature stuff. Took them long enough.

Also happy to see that in some markets it will have a package Disney + with Star so the public will spend less $.

Paddy

what is STAR? 

I don't think Chapek will stay in charge for long making these decisions.

rihannabiggestfan

I can't wait to not use it

Kingpin

I have never heard of Star but it sounds like a budget generic brand and that logo does too

Eat Disney

Blackthorn

Almost certain that this oversaturation of streaming services will just lead people to illegal streaming/piracy...

Phuccery, Inc.
32 minutes ago, Blackthorn said:

Almost certain that this oversaturation of streaming services will just lead people to illegal streaming/piracy...

this cos I'm about to start pirating everything again 

LonelySoul

why are people living under a rock making any type of decisions? jesus christ

justjess

Jfc the more subscription services that come out, the more people will want to torrent sh*t. ENOUGH!!!! 

Oktober Knight

If it's packaged with Disney+ at a good price then I can see this being successful. You all underestimate all of the networks and films that Disney owns. The ENTIRE 20th Century Fox catalog is huge in itself. Plus they own Touchstone Pictures films, some of Miramax, etc.

JBJT2786

mess at them rebranding whats basically international HULU :rip:

One Rude Boy

Enough

Cersei Lannister

Old corporate men are so clueless :deadbanana4: