LIMA

Did my generation's idols... abandon me?

Truth Teller

So, to add something to the conversation, I think it's touring.

During the physical era, there was money to be made by putting out albums and having 4 hit singles off of one album would actually help you sell more albums for 15 bucks a piece. Same for TV appearances, music videos on MTV, interviews. Each of those things could potentially sell another truckload of albums, so there was a reason to do it.

That doesn't apply anymore. Hit singles don't translate into pure album sales, music videos don't make or break a song and most performances can barely sell 5k of a $1.29 single ; a good playlist placement is more effective than any sort of promotion. The only way to make money is to tour, which is why all these older acts, especially those shut out by pop radio due to ageism, put out an album with a couple singles and then rush to the tour bus. There's nothing to gain from being more active.

LIMA
2 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

So, to add something to the conversation, I think it's touring.

During the physical era, there was money to be made by putting out albums and having 4 hit singles off of one album would actually help you sell more albums for 15 bucks a piece. Same for TV appearances, music videos on MTV, interviews. Each of those things could potentially sell another truckload of albums, so there was a reason to do it.

That doesn't apply anymore. Hit singles don't translate into pure album sales, music videos don't make or break a song and most performances can barely sell 5k of a $1.29 single and a good playlist placement is more effective than any sort of promotion. The only way to make money is to tour, which is why all these older acts, especially those shut out by pop radio due to ageism, put out an album with a couple singles and then rush to the tour bus. There's nothing to gain from being more active.

you went in. Exactly. I had a feeling it could be tour as well, on top of the industry pushing for younger acts all the time. its sad really.

Rev8
57 minutes ago, LIMA said:

she said recently that she was out of money to finance a music video so she wouldnt do it

she said that?
Wow

But can u blame them?
They dont get as much money as before, so they dont try as much as they did (while Madonna's gen of stars, gave most of themselves because the sales climate wasn't changing that much)

at least imo

+they are just giving a path to the younger gen to rule I guess?

anyways Talking Fish said it best

u just need to stop having idols by the end of your teens..since those celebs dont care about us as much as they look like they do...

also no need to continue arguing with Chriz :doc: feels like he got offended that u said something against Beyonce (the stereotype of it all)

and will prolly turn into another Britney/Beyonce war because he may not get your example

10 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

No idea why the OP is lowkey being attacked, he's not saying anything unreasonable.

!!!!

LIMA
3 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

she said that?
Wow

But can u blame them?
They dont get as much money as before, so they dont try as much as they did (while Madonna's gen of stars, gave most of themselves because the sales climate wasn't changing that much)

at least imo

u just need to stop having idols by the end of your teens..since those celebs dont care about us as much as they look like they do...

also no need to continue arguing with Chriz :doc: feels like he got offended that u said something against Beyonce (the stereotype of it all)

and will prolly turn into another Britney/Beyonce war because he may not get your example

!!!!

thank you

I get the dont have idols thing but as I said somewhere in a post, maybe I used to wrong term. What I meant is that every generation kept growing with their artists in music since the 70s and 80s, my parents have their "idols" active and can go to a nostalgia concert. A real one.

Britney having nostalgia concerts while shes 30 and we are 20 is a joke. But she made it for the convenience and the money.

And i'll stop talking about beyonce but she made CHOICES. Smart ones but let me shut my mouth.

*-ChriZ-*
7 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

she said that?
Wow

But can u blame them?

at least imo

!!!!

Im not being offended whatsoever, i could care less. Im just questioning how u can be so delusional at 27, thats all. I dont care about Brit and having 0 against her. I pity her for the most part because shes been a victim of the industry.

LIMA
Just now, *-ChriZ-* said:

Im not being offended whatsoever, i could care less. Im just questioning how u can be so delusional at 27, thats all. I dont care about Brit and having 0 against her. I pity her for the most part because shes been a victim of the industry.

stop calling me delusional when im questioning my generations artists in music wanting to be legends by the time they are 30

delusion is believing thats ok and paying for a nostalgia act everytime you go to a concert because you think they are one when you are in your 20s

imagine Madonna being a nostalgia act by the time she released Bedtime Stories.

Can you imagine?

She was over 10 years in but she was nowhere near being called a nostalgia act.

Reza

nnn my mom is in her 60s and is literally a Bruno mars STAN. :dies: You are probably the type of person who thinks that younger artists are beneath you. If you dont adapt to newer artists and music then you really will feel old. By the way 27 is not old at all :dies: 

LikeaRebel
49 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Even Madonna slowed heavily down during the infant years of Lourdes and Rocco. She had 4 years breaks in between Erotica, Ray of Light, Music and COAD. Ur mind is playing games with u if u think she hustled as much later on as she did in her first eras. 

:confused: Lola was born in 96. ROL came out in 98. Rocco was born in 2000, same year that Music came out. Three years later she released American Life and two years after that Confessions.

lawmak

Well..the op was a bit dramatic.

Anyone who witnessed the 80s through the 2000s thinks the music industry has always been (and will always be) like that..big in every sense.

The music market as we know it has only about 65 years.

Be positive and find your niche x

Josh

i'm 28 and im offended that you think 27 is old wth

MrPiggyMoka

I don't really care about other artists aside from Beyonce and Rihanna... I don't know about how you guys must feel from other fanbases, but Bey is keeping us FED after 22 year old career, and she feels better than ever so can't relate:michael: Try to find a new fave from the younger generation or just grow out of it sis, it's not a big deal... Put yourself in their position as well... Artists are getting canceled nowadays left and right, the stress to keep up with social media constantly, being in shape constantly, trying to get better with each and every era gets very tiring. An artist should really LOVE this job to be active after so many years of success and fame and if they want to step back and enjoy their life, just let them.

LIMA
8 minutes ago, Josh said:

i'm 28 and im offended that you think 27 is old wth

I DONT THINK THATTTTT

and i didnt say it

gosh you guys need to learn how to interpret text

I said i cant stop feeling like im old, AND IM 27 NOW.

The AND implies I know 27 is not old. JESUS

and i blame the feeling on the culture. not me saying i think 27 is old.

LIMA
1 minute ago, MrPiggyMoka said:

I don't really care about other artists aside from Beyonce and Rihanna... I don't know about how you guys must feel from other fanbases, but Bey is keeping us FED after 22 year old career, and she feels better than ever so can't relate:michael: Try to find a new fave from the younger generation or just grow out of it sis, it's not a big deal... Put yourself in their position as well... Artists are getting canceled nowadays left and right, the stress to keep up with social media constantly, being in shape constantly, trying to get better with each and every era gets very tiring. An artist should really LOVE this job to be active after so many years of success and fame and if they want to step back and enjoy their life, just let them.

of course i let them

im just saying there are older artists then the ones from my generation that keep releasing music constantly

and younger artists as well

my fckd up generation are the ones that left us

because they got the money and left

i dont know whats hard to understand in my op tbh

sorry for quoting you specifically but people are not understanding my point

the only ones who do are, guess what, in my generation feeling the exact same

MrPiggyMoka
Just now, LIMA said:

of course i let them

im just saying there are older artists then the ones from my generation that keep releasing music constantly

i mean bad luck i guess? :skull: Also a lot of artists that you mentioned flopped to oblivion or got lazy or just don't care anymore... I understand it must feel bad, but maybe stan for artists that have more drive and motivation? :michael:

Electric Youth
1 hour ago, M André said:

Good :nicole2:

:deadbanana2: 

ot: This happens in every generation. It's natural, the times are passing by.

Raphy23

I know what you mean. I wish Rihanna, Avril, Katy, and Gaga were all on top of the charts right now. 

Raphy23
20 minutes ago, MrPiggyMoka said:

i mean bad luck i guess? :skull: Also a lot of artists that you mentioned flopped to oblivion or got lazy or just don't care anymore... I understand it must feel bad, but maybe stan for artists that have more drive and motivation? :michael:

23 minutes ago, LIMA said:

of course i let them

Stan Carly :) 

Cute

they conjointly passed the torch to taylor  

Xtianlofbritney

I prefer to listen the same Britney albums over and over again than Billie or any new artist.

M André
12 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

I prefer to listen the same Britney albums over and over again than Billie or any new artist.

:rip:

Gorjesspazze9

I know what you mean, but abandoned is dramatic Wording. The industry changed due to streaming and artist grow and careers develop differently. Our generation of idols and pop stars just don’t need to promote their art the same way it use to be. 

also people telling the OP to grow up. Pls screw off and learn how to read. Y’all are annoying. Nobody said 27 is old, they just feel like they are old. 

beautiful player

What :dies: those of us with sense have been pointing out for years that the gorls you mentioned are no longer iT.

It's not so much that your idols abandoned you - it's more that you failed to keep up with the times. The current gen of pop girls can be your generation as well, if you are open minded enough.

GotMyBlueprint

fergie still lives on in my heart

Katamari
2 hours ago, jezebelvictoria said:

Old at 27? Literally, shut the f*ck up. 

2 hours ago, jezebelvictoria said:

So move on. :ace: Stop worrying about certain celebrities and find new songs as time goes on. The actual problem is people obsessing over certain celebrities and acting like they're really in it just for the music. If that was the case they'd continue to release music regardless of the hits or money. Instead they wait years because they're rich so they don't have to care. Stop having celebrity :mrpeanut:idols:mrpeanut:. They're just people who got lucky in life. It's childish and you're apparently feeling old for 27 yet haven't moved on from a young mindset of caring about celebrities and feeling abandoned by them. Grow up. 

:skull:

points tho

ShouldersSideways
Posted (edited)

No offense, but what do you want? You feel abandoned, but then you say

Beyonce's music is always an event now, which became tiring.

She's the only one from that generation still making a splash and for me, as a lifelong fan, I feel like she's grown with us and has kept me engaged the way other pop stars haven't.  The only other one I can think of growing similarly with time is Madonna. (Not counting Taylor and younger artists) 

Its like if her music wasn't an event, you'd be complaining the opposite and how she doesn't care anymore. 

edit: and, according to her mother, Beyoncé financed Black Is King herself, so she lost money. Most of them that are still releasing quality music at this point are doing it for the art, because they could be making much more money elsewhere (makeup, etc)

Edited by ShouldersSideways