LIMA

Did my generation's idols... abandon me?

LIMA
Posted (edited)

This will sound a bit, dramatic, but I was thinking about this the other day.

I can't stop constantly feeling like im old, and im 27 now. And most of the times the feeling of youth comes from society and culture in general.

Tho I do know things are constantly changing, and we are in the middle of a pandemic, the artists I grew up with (Britney, Xtina, Justin, Beyonce, Rihanna, Nelly, Fergie...), if you think about it, all DISAPPEARED.

And what I mean by that is not like, they arent doing anything, because they are, Beyonce just released a movie, but none of it is conventional, in the sense that I feel like they aren't growing with me, or keeping up with the times. They got their cash and head out.

They are all either too lazy or too rich to care. Or too entitled. Since vegas Britney has been doing this nostalgia act that makes me go MEH and Beyonce's music is always an event now, which became tiring.

Madonna kept her generation fullfilled, and even she said recently that she was out of money to finance a music video so she wouldnt do it (to other Madame X singles). She deserves a break, she's the real deal and loves what she does. Kylie maybe is the only one that is keeping things on track even tho she said recently she feels like stopping sometimes.

I know the music industry sucks right now but honestly I cant stop thinking they abandoned us and their careers.

Spotify's CEO statement about artists now a days having to keep up with the times and deliver content non stop may have made me think even more about this.

Are people my age feeling the same?

Edited by LIMA

Erreur2 La Nature

13 years old are going to harass you for this thread because « the new generation of artists is so much more talented and interesting » but yeah you spilled. Nothing is eventful anymore, music is boring, videos are boring, performances are boring, award shows are not events anymore. Streaming has ruined everything in some way since artists don’t have to do anything nowadays

M André
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, LIMA said:

Fergie DISAPPEARED.

Good :nicole2:

Edited by M André

VOSS

the entertainment industry is just that, an industry

as you said, the people you listed are first and foremost in it for the money

more people on here need to realize that

LIMA
1 minute ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

13 years old are going to harass you for this thread because « the new generation of artists is so much more talented and interesting » but yeah you spilled. Nothing is eventful anymore, music is boring, videos are boring, performances are boring, award shows are not events anymore. Streaming has ruined everything in some way since artists don’t have to do anything nowadays

Exactly. Look at the vmas and everything else. A joke.

As said by Spotify's CEO, a lot of artists complain about streaming's payment but a whole lot is thankful and happy with it but that isnt social media material.

It installed in them a wish for creating "legacy" material so that they can win money just by us streaming for nostalgia effect

Someone sent me the other day their Spotify numbers, Britney has millions of streams every month doing nothing, and that is money for her and her label. Just for profit, not to invest in their own careers. What shocks me is that things are much clearer now, money does make the world go round.

jezebelvictoria

Old at 27? Literally, shut the f*ck up. 

M André
Just now, VOSS said:

Right? Atrl still believes these mainstream acts don’t have marketing teams and just release whatever they want. :rip:

Talking Fish

You should stop having idols by the end of your teens. Those are regular people there is nothing special about them they just sing or perform for a living. You need to realise that. If you actually knew them you would realise that easily.

They don't care about their fans the way they make it seem. They appreciate them but lbr they consider most of them insane (stans, that is).

All those people have their families/problems and probably stopped caring about being in the spotlight because it must be exhausting.

LIMA
1 minute ago, jezebelvictoria said:

Old at 27? Literally, shut the f*ck up. 

but thats exactly my point. no need to be rude about it.

I cant feel old at 27 but thats exactly what the industry around music and fans makes you think

I love the spice girls as well as you but even them only lasting for 2 years in their prime make up for it in solo carreers and tours here and there.

my generation said **** it and left.

rihannabiggestfan
4 minutes ago, VOSS said:

That's why independent artists like Robyn do it better :jonny5: the epitome of music, not the bling - they will ALWAYS put the music/fans first before anything else, thus they grew with us and don't just take their money and head out/check out

*-ChriZ-*

U r one of those people who will be like "oh wow, she really changed" when meeting people from ur past.

Well duh, Bey is a mother of 3, has achieved everything possible and uses her platform to create art and to inspire. Of course she is not the Beyonce from 10 years ago. Sis is approaching her 40s.

LIMA
1 minute ago, Talking Fish said:

You should stop having idols by the end of your teens. Those are regular people there is nothing special about them they just sing or perform for a living. You need to realise that. If you actually knew them you would realise that easily.

They don't care about their fans the way they make it seem. They appreciate them but lbr they consider most of them insane (stans, that is).

All those people have their families/problems and probably stopped caring about being in the spotlight because it must be exhausting.

I know that and maybe idol was a strong word to use. But look at the 70s and 80s, the artists were in it for the music and the fans came along. People didnt feel old listening to Madonna in the 00s even tho an entire new generation had came, because she was there, making music, keeping up.

I feel like my generation have to accept the likes of Arianas and Billie's because thats the only thing there is to consume, or find a new genre of music lol. Get what im saying?

LIMA
2 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

U r one of those people who will be like "oh wow, she really changed" when meeting people from ur past.

Well duh, Bey is a mother of 3, has achieved everything possible and uses her platform to create art and to inspire. Of course she is not the Beyonce from 10 years ago. Sis is approaching her 40s.

I know that and I respect it. But madonna kept motherhood to the side. Not saying everyone has to follow a rule, but each artist is creating their own reality within the music industry and thats kinda, great for them but stupid for the industry, which keeps welcoming younger artists and people my age have to like them or feel old. Britney making shows only in vegas because of her kids. Xtina coming and going once every 5 years. Thats great but that doesnt cut anymore.

jezebelvictoria
2 minutes ago, LIMA said:

but thats exactly my point. no need to be rude about it.

I cant feel old at 27 but thats exactly what the industry around music and fans makes you think

I love the spice girls as well as you but even them only lasting for 2 years in their prime make up for it in solo carreers and tours here and there.

my generation said **** it and left.

So move on. :ace: Stop worrying about certain celebrities and find new songs as time goes on. The actual problem is people obsessing over certain celebrities and acting like they're really in it just for the music. If that was the case they'd continue to release music regardless of the hits or money. Instead they wait years because they're rich so they don't have to care. Stop having celebrity :mrpeanut:idols:mrpeanut:. They're just people who got lucky in life. It's childish and you're apparently feeling old for 27 yet haven't moved on from a young mindset of caring about celebrities and feeling abandoned by them. Grow up. 

LittleDreamer

I don't feel the same. I am 25 and still follow the pop girls I loved them (Bey, Gaga, Katy, Taylor, etc) and I don't think they abandoned us, they mostly grew out of the stuff they were doing 10 years ago. Bey is doing the most bold and experimental work of her career since 4, Taylor did a lot of different things with her music. The music industry changed a lot in this decade and our pop icons are not young anymore, they're now over 30/close to 40 and rich, ofc they want to do other things and honestly, thank god for that. For me it's really refreshing to see Bey/Taylor doing BIK and Folklore type of projects.

If you still want pop events, there's Dua, Ari, Doja and all the new girls serving that too. 

LIMA
6 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

also, let me quote you again. See how we keep saying, she achieved everything, what can she do now?

We come from a generation that implies you have to make it big.

Well, Britney made it big. And who is she now? If singing was her true passion shed be... singing.

If you put that excuse to every one of them, Justin, Rihanna, they all made it big and left.

So much for a career. We accepted this is a money thing long time ago.

*-ChriZ-*

I know that and I respect it. But madonna kept motherhood to the side. Not saying everyone has to follow a rule, but each artist is creating their own reality within the music industry and thats kinda, great for them but stupid for the industry, which keeps welcoming younger artists and people my age have to like them or feel old. Britney making shows only in vegas because of her kids. Xtina coming and going once every 5 years. Thats great but that doesnt cut anymore.

Even Madonna slowed heavily down during the infant years of Lourdes and Rocco. She had 4 years breaks in between Erotica, Ray of Light, Music and COAD. Ur mind is playing games with u if u think she hustled as much later on as she did in her first eras. 

LIMA
2 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

So move on. :ace: Stop worrying about certain celebrities and find new songs as time goes on. The actual problem is people obsessing over certain celebrities and acting like they're really in it just for the music. If that was the case they'd continue to release music regardless of the hits or money. Instead they wait years because they're rich so they don't have to care. Stop having celebrity :mrpeanut:idols:mrpeanut:. They're just people who got lucky in life. It's childish and you're apparently feeling old for 27 yet haven't moved on from a young mindset of caring about celebrities and feeling abandoned by them. Grow up. 

you didnt get my point at all.

all i was saying was nowadays you have to like young artists and new things because your generation of music simply doesnt exist anymore.

think about it what you want. and great if you like everything thats coming out, maybe the one with young mindset is you.

makes you think doesnt it.

LIMA
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, LittleDreamer said:

I don't feel the same. I am 25 and still follow the pop girls I loved them (Bey, Gaga, Katy, Taylor, etc) and I don't think they abandoned us, they mostly grew out of the stuff they were doing 10 years ago. Bey is doing the most bold and experimental work of her career since 4, Taylor did a lot of different things with her music. The music industry changed a lot in this decade and our pop icons are not young anymore, they're now over 30/close to 40 and rich, ofc they want to do other things and honestly, thank god for that. For me it's really refreshing to see Bey/Taylor doing BIK and Folklore type of projects.

If you still want pop events, there's Dua, Ari, Doja and all the new girls serving that too. 

I consider taylor and katy young generation.

And even them already made it big and will leave anytime.

Not because they want but because of the industry.

Look at gaga. For a lot of people she made it big, she can retire already. Shes an icon.

Shes been here for a bit over 10 years. Thats nothing in Madonna years, in Mariah years.

Thats how much you need nowadays to be considered a legend tho and thats sad.

Mariah's been here for 30 years. And still doing it. Because she loves it.

Edited by LIMA

Rep2000

tenor.gif?riffsid=0EnPzax-Lai5ygWoiHt_3T

But seriously, mainstream popstars are not meant to "stay" with you. People will grow out of their "faves" eventually. There's only a few artists that are actually growing up along with their fans. And sadly in your case...

Solarie

Seriously. Grow up 

LittleDreamer
9 minutes ago, LIMA said:

I consider taylor and katy young generation.

And even them already made it big and will leave anytime.

Not because they want but because of the industry.

Look at gaga. For a lot of people she made it big, she can retire already. Shes an icon.

Shes been here for a bit over 10 years. Thats nothing in Madonna years, in Mariah years.

Thats how much you need nowadays to be considered a legend tho and thats sad.

Mariah's been here for 30 years. And still doing it. Because she loves it.

Well, Rihanna is still doing it, she is just not doing music :rip: The girl built an empire bc that's what she is passionate now, and I don't see a problem with it. Our faves are grown up adults with a lot of cash, they will do whatever they want. Some want to focus on music, others on motherhood, others on comestics. TBH, Madonna/Mariah are exceptions, and even they took things slowly past their peak. There are a huge amount of great artists in the world, why would we need to rely on the same 10 for the rest of our lives? :deadbanana:

Truth Teller

No idea why the OP is lowkey being attacked, he's not saying anything unreasonable.

The divas from previous generations (Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Janet) were all super active for a very long time, ranging from 15 to 30 years. There's nothing wrong with wanting your favorite artist to still interract, release often and be present in their 30's :skull:

*-ChriZ-*

also, let me quote you again. See how we keep saying, she achieved everything, what can she do now?

We come from a generation that implies you have to make it big.

Well, Britney made it big. And who is she now? If singing was her true passion shed be... singing.

If you put that excuse to every one of them, Justin, Rihanna, they all made it big and left.

So much for a career. We accepted this is a money thing long time ago.

Britney is a mental trainwreck. Hollywood destroyed this poor woman. Get out of ur delusion and be happy shes alive.

Bey is not gone whatsoever, but is focussed on creating art and pushing herself to be better with every release. 

LIMA
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

No idea why the OP is lowkey being attacked, he's not saying anything unreasonable.

The divas from previous generations (Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Janet) were all super active for a very long time, ranging from 15 to 30 years. There's nothing wrong with wanting your favorite artist to still interract, release often and be present in their 30's :skull:

thank you very much

i feel like i opened this thread for you only and thats enough

people are attacking me because they think im talking about everyone. my generation vanished lol.

Edited by LIMA