Truth Teller

People say NO to new Maroon 5 single. Radio says yes. Why?

Squall
Just now, M André said:

I know, I failed to bold the whole sentence. Blame the GP for liking their songs if you hate them that much. The fact remains that they generate interest that some girls don’t ever since 2006. :giraffe:

Memories’ callout scores were awful and radios still played it like crazy actually 

Truth Teller
2 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Cuz it’s clearly a song that just didn’t stick with the public? Anyways, those radio updates are clearly still part of a radio deal (which most big acts get). The radio updates will obviously slow down if ITunes/Spotify positions don’t rise.

Yall love to throw this narrative that M5 is only successful because of radio :rip:

Lets look at their most recent singles (15+ years into their career must I add):

GLY: 3B Youtube / 1.3B Spotify

Memories: 556M Youtube / 850M Spotify

The radio deal was for one day, 10 days ago. The rolling effect was on Friday and the song was unfazed and continued to be the chart's greatest gainer. It will obviously slow down, as do all songs, but that's not the point

As for Maroon 5 being radio fueled, we can take those two songs as examples or we can also take the following 2

Don't Wanna Know : #1 on pop, #1 on overall radio for EIGHT weeks, most played song of the year on HAC -> only #38 on the year-end

Wait : peaked in the top 5 on pop and HAC while #141 on Spotify

Nando_05

The fact radio pay dust to ROM when the song clearly showed positive signs but they decide to play this song that nobody cares :rip:

I don’t understand radio

Truth Teller
32 minutes ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

How dare they to put them at #1 after their previous two singles were only streamed 1,282b and 849m times! :dies:

No one said they were not allowed to place them at #1. I'm just pointing out that the song isn't underperforming because of low exposure.

Being placed at #1 only to debut with less streams than Small Talk is not a great look for the hitmakers

Melancholy
20 minutes ago, M André said:

I know, I failed to bold the whole sentence. Blame the GP for liking their songs if you hate them that much. The fact remains that they generate interest that some girls don’t ever since 2006. :giraffe:

i dont think they really generated much interest for themselves tbh, it's just random smashes, it's not like people were like "where's the next MAROON 5 SMASH"

gatito

M5 is one of the most mediocre bands in mainstream music :soda:must take a lot of money to promote them these days 

Pamela Pepper

its so upsetting that girls who are popstars get abandoned by radio in there early 30s/mid 30s  but male popstars dont get impacted at all (Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5..)

raven
1 hour ago, Truth Teller said:

Maroon 5 unleashed a new artistic creation onto the unsuspecting and uninterested public 10 days ago. The song's reception was lukewarm, despite the lead single treatment (#1 debut on TTH, radio deal, music video). I guess that's justifiable since that was Taylor's week, but... it's not getting better.

Spotify US : #80 (#7 on TTH with a 100M playlist reach)

Apple Music US : #213

US iTunes : #47

YouTube : #332 (6 million views in 10 days)

This is awful :deadbanana4:

OT: looks their checks are clearing :clap3:

Truth Teller
13 minutes ago, Pamela Pepper said:

its so upsetting that girls who are popstars get abandoned by radio in there early 30s/mid 30s  but male popstars dont get impacted at all (Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5..)

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that one. He's had 4 consecutive singles miss the top 10 on both his formats and 2 of them had radio deals :toofunny2:

He apparently released another song to HAC radio recently (I had no idea) and it lasted six days and peaked at #46, I-

JawBreaker

GLY was an organic smash but Memeoriesssssss???...no one can convince me that trash was streamed that many times.:zzz: Thats probably one of the most payolad song in HISTORY. Along with I Dont Care, Beautiful People, Circles, Wow and I Like Me Better. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this new failed payolad one will suddenly start rising everywhere like clockwork when they add fuel in that payola machine :juanny:

Rev8

radio payola!!!!

Dzjxdzjx

PA

YO

LA

Mirtilo

When Universal Music Group was exposed for its payola schemes in 2006, Maroon 5 appeared as one of the artists/bands benefited from it. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

liberalmusiclover

Not every song is an instant smash. Some songs actually climb the charts. I know a lot of y’all’s Faves have been dropping quick lil singles that debut high and then tumble down the charts. Some acts are the opposite. Their songs actually build. :clap3:

Truth Teller
Just now, liberalmusiclover said:

Not every song is an instant smash. Some songs actually climb the charts. I know a lot of y’all’s Faves have been dropping quick lil singles that debut high and then tumble down the charts. Some acts are the opposite. Their songs actually build. :clap3:

Climbing the chart and building are only accolades for songs that do it organically. For songs that skyrocket to 100 million worth of airplay within weeks, climbing the chart is... expected.

alfonso12

They are the kings of payola, I remember Daylight going top 10 in the Hot 100 basically thanks to radio only.

getBusy

radio loves choking on Adam Levine's d**k

WildOne

Ok I'm actually obsessed with this song, but I get why people don't like it. I do believe that the melody is METICULOUSLY crafted, and that a long enough radio campaign could convince a lot of people to like it.

OP makes a great point about radio not being nearly as supportive of female artists with similar numbers. Especially with Gaga and Katy being Women Over 30, they're getting kneecapped, while Adam being 41 is not causing the labels, promoters, or DJ's to blink twice about pushing the song. 

M André

Also, I don’t think Radio just gives better payola offers to some acts. If you wanna blame someone, blame the label for not investing enough in your fave. :cm:

I don’t get how is it surprising that people like safe generic songs. M5 is in the same situation that Pink used to be, topping radio and streams. 

Sad Serenade

If streaming will be low radio will drop the song. 

Truth Teller
1 hour ago, M André said:

M5 is in the same situation that Pink used to be, topping radio and streams. 

This is an interesting analogy, because P!nk hasn't had a pop radio smash since 2013 and has never had such an enthusiastic response.

Her last top 10 hit was What About Us. It took a month to enter pop radio's top 20 (it took this Maroon 5 single 10 days) and spent 3 months crawling its way to a #10 peak. And that's with great sales (top 20), decent callouts and the same streams as the new Maroon 5 song with a fraction of the playlist reach. Her subsequent singles didn't crack the upper half of the pop chart, which took 6 days for this song, that wouldn't make next week's Hot 100 if airplay wasn't in the formula. She's now started to send her songs only to HAC.

Squall
1 hour ago, Truth Teller said:

Climbing the chart and building are only accolades for songs that do it organically. For songs that skyrocket to 100 million worth of airplay within weeks, climbing the chart is... expected.

The way he is acting like having a huge radio support isn't helping to have "organic success" :deadbanana2:

Luckitty

PAYOLA 

Cloudy
2 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

An update, a week later

Spotify US : #94 

US iTunes : #41

YouTube top 500 : OUT (still under 10 million views)

POP RADIO : #18 MAROON 5 5673 3646 2027 24.224
+217 spins
+1.271 audience

It's disgusting how they are able to scam their way up

Anthurium

Nobody's Love but Radio :mandown: Its stats other than radio are not good AT ALL :biblio: And they keep on playing it no matter what, it's baffling.