Truth Teller

People say NO to new Maroon 5 single. Radio says yes. Why?

Truth Teller

Maroon 5 unleashed a new artistic creation onto the unsuspecting and uninterested public 10 days ago. The song's reception was lukewarm, despite the lead single treatment (#1 debut on TTH, radio deal, music video). I guess that's justifiable since that was Taylor's week, but... it's not getting better.

Spotify US : #80 (#7 on TTH with a 100M playlist reach)

Apple Music US : #213

US iTunes : #47

YouTube : #332 (6 million views in 10 days)

HOWEVER, it is today's biggest airplay gainer with a whopping increase of 2.2 million and is already in the top 20 on both pop and HAC!

POP : 19 (+2) MAROON 5 : + 394 spins / +1.262 audience
HOT AC : 14 (+1) MAROON 5 : +192 spins / +0.704 audience

This begs the following questions :

1. Will people eventually come to like it after it's been forcefed to them or will it continue underperforming?

2. Will radio continue to shove it down their throats until it catches on or will they only carry it for a short time?

3. Why is radio reluctant to pick up -and quick to drop- songs by female artists that sell and stream better (ROM) or the same (Daisies)

4. When will this stop?

Discuss

Planet Mars
Posted (edited)

It's Maroon 5, since Moves Like Jagger and Payphone radio has played everything by Adam Levine and friends to DEATH.

Edited by Planet Mars

TalkThatRihanna
Posted (edited)

Cuz it’s clearly a song that just didn’t stick with the public? Anyways, those radio updates are clearly still part of a radio deal (which most big acts get). The radio updates will obviously slow down if ITunes/Spotify positions don’t rise.

Yall love to throw this narrative that M5 is only successful because of radio :rip:

Lets look at their most recent singles (15+ years into their career must I add):

GLY: 3B Youtube / 1.3B Spotify

Memories: 556M Youtube / 850M Spotify

*These two song were also monstrous on ITunes

Edited by TalkThatRihanna

UnusualBoy

It's what they deserve.gif

Dula Peep

Payola and sympathy :michael:

M André

Maybe the fact that Maroon 5 have consistently scored hits in almost every era? I mean I don’t like M5 at all, but most of the GP clearly does, payola can’t buy streams.

Aristede

The radio says yes to everything Maroon 5 no matter how bad it may be. As long as it's Maroon 5 they will play it over and over and over again.

StrangerInTheDark

Last time I checked people also listen to radio? These stans of flop hasbeen girls are so pressed :heart2:

peterstyles13

Isn't that the case for like... the vast majority of their singles? :priceless:

Melancholy
12 minutes ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Cuz it’s clearly a song that just didn’t stick with the public? Anyways, those radio updates are clearly still part of a radio deal (which most big acts get). The radio updates will obviously slow down if ITunes/Spotify positions don’t rise.

Yall love to throw this narrative that M5 is only successful because of radio :rip:

Lets look at their most recent singles (15+ years into their career must I add):

GLY: 3B Youtube / 1.3B Spotify

Memories: 556M Youtube / 850M Spotify

*These two song were also monstrous on ITunes

maybe it's not only because of radio but it's definitely not because they are releasing quality songs :rip: with these generic ass (but not unlistenable) songs you get familiar with time over time if theyre constantly played and then eventually you'll start to like it

Starkboy

radio will probably drop it soon, considering people are saying no, cause they clearly said yes to Memories (which I dislike).

DaddyIssuesX

these men have managed to release faceless radio trash every album cycle....at this point it has to be talent :foxaylove3:

RULES

I mean the song is actually good

M André
6 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

maybe it's not only because of radio but it's definitely not because they are releasing quality songs :rip: with these generic ass (but not unlistenable) songs you get familiar with time over time if theyre constantly played and then eventually you'll start to like it

And? Most of the time the top 40 is filled of trash, why are you guys acting like this is a crime ? :rip:

rihannabiggestfan
18 minutes ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

Last time I checked people also listen to radio? These stans of flop hasbeen girls are so pressed :heart2:

A payola stan calling other people pressed, ironic :heart2: 

Puma

Same reason Dua Lipa is charting

Squall

It actually debuted at #1 on TTH :dies: 

StrangerInTheDark
4 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

A payola stan calling other people pressed, ironic :heart2: 

You stan rihanna, there is no bigger industry plant and payolad artist, ironic :heart2:

Squall

Anyway, M5 has had constant payola for the last 10 years, it's actually ridiculous at this point but I'm not even surprised anymore :skull: 

StrangerInTheDark
1 minute ago, Squall said:

It actually debuted at #1 on TTH :dies: 

How dare they to put them at #1 after their previous two singles were only streamed 1,282b and 849m times! :dies:

Melancholy
17 minutes ago, M André said:

And? Most of the time the top 40 is filled of trash, why are you guys acting like this is a crime ? :rip:

trash music is basically a crime yeah LMFAO 

gimmelaugh

idk but I just listened to the song and it's not bad :chick1: also this thread just reminded me they have that song with SZA that I like. let me listen to it now

Melancholy
19 minutes ago, M André said:

also maybe you need to reread my post? i said they're not releasing quality songs :rip:

Squall
6 minutes ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

How dare they to put them at #1 after their previous two singles were only streamed 1,282b and 849m times! :dies:

Looks like it was worth it considering their results :dies: 

M André
1 minute ago, Melancholy said:

also maybe you need to reread my post? i said they're not releasing quality songs :rip:

I know, I failed to bold the whole sentence. Blame the GP for liking their songs if you hate them that much. The fact remains that they generate interest that some girls don’t ever since 2006. :giraffe: