BeyoncéFlicks

Will Taylor Swift ever graduate from high school girl image?

BeyoncéFlicks

When I saw the title "cardigan" I knew it was some Taylor Swift-level sh**. Only her would name a song like that.

Will she ever graduate from this high school white girl image/persona? Even in her darkest album, she has a cheerleader-sounding song called "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things". Her seventh album's lead single is literally Kidz Bop and the following singles, videos and her social media behavior pandered to as many demographics as possible.

Like, girl is pretty capable of growth but limits herself to crap like this

mcohen

No. Sorry. Deal with it or just don't listen to her music :)

TaylorFantasy

??? Wtf is this ****?

Prison

the fumes over sweaters :psyduck: are you ok? my grandfather is literally wearing a cardigan right now :rip: 

One Rude Boy

Dear diary

IStanHard

What even is this thread?

Safe&Sound

These OTHs thought they were creative at dragging with these kind of threads

No sweetie, this just makes you look like a fool

Giancor

Vintage tee, brand new phone

High heels on cobblestones

When you are young, they assume you know nothing

its just her brand. it works for her

PoisonPill

Glad you got that out of your system in the middle of the night, hope it helped you.

ScarletWitch

I mean if it works for her and sells her a lot of albums then why not

You clearly haven't even bothered to listen to folklore so shut up you sound mad and stupid

Rev8

I think she is okay actually

but today's stars kinda remain with that image?

BnPac

You are always mad or judgy towards something. :laugh:

bluebirdsforever

What

CruelSummer13

Folklore is a mature sound for her, what the hell are you thinking? :swan:

Rep2000

What "image"?!? Taylor writes about high schools just like how she writes about soldier dying, doctors fighting against a pandemic (epiphany), a history recap about a historic figure (Rebekah West Harkness), or struggles with mental issues (this is me trying) etc.

And even the "cardigan" example you used is just one part of a nuanced love triangle with all 3 distinctive perspectives. That's literally artistic growth as a writer. Name literally anybody else who's writing takes like that?!?

niiall

This post makes no sense

• Is it high school or Kidz Bop?
  • You keep talking about her image but give examples of her sound.
  • Her main form of social media has been dead platform Tumblr likes for years now. She was N/A on Twitter and has her comments turned off on Instagram. So much for social media pandering :rip: 

Solitaiire

She already has:heart:

Ampersand13

I mean the song is from the perspective of a woman reflecting on a high school love, so doesn’t it make sense?

Don’t think she’ll ever grow out of ‘being white’ since she is.

You’re acting like Epiphany, Invisible String, Illicit Affairs, Peace, the 1, Exile, The Last Great American Dynasty, This Is Me Trying, Mirrorball and My Tears Ricochet aren’t on the album :skull:

JawBreaker

I kinda get what you mean. But at the same time thats what I love about her. Thats her true self within and I respect that. Thats what makes her songs sound whimsical, fairytaly and magical imo. Which is right up my ally personally. Maybe its just not your cup of tea and thats ok. You don't have to listen to her, there are countless of other musicians that I'm sure you can relate to more. 

katyhudson

Have you ever listened to folklore before you posted this:deadbanana4:

bestfiction

First of all, I don't get the need of some people to devalue art and media that is targeted towards kids/teens, if anything the quality control for it should be even higher than ususal so that kids would develop some kind of taste. Taylor's music is (for most part) well-written and uniquely hers, so I'd say that she keeps the bar high enough. These narratives (the OP isn't the only one who complains about Taylor's themes) really remind me of my mum once saying that The Last Airbender movie was better than Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series because one is a live action movie with real actors and the other one is just "a cartoon for kids ;)"

Secondly, Taylor manages to open up about serious topics through her music too. For every ME! she has her Soon You'll Get Better, and so on. She brings up even more topics on folklore, as many of the users have already pointed out: misogyny, validation seeking, people dealing with a covid pandemic to name a few. She has proven many times that she's much more than just a girl who sings high school love songs.

aesthetic bih
1 hour ago, JawBreaker said:

I kinda get what you mean. But at the same time thats what I love about her. Thats her true self within and I respect that. Thats what makes her songs sound whimsical, fairytaly and magical imo. Which is right up my ally personally. Maybe its just not your cup of tea and thats ok. You don't have to listen to her, there are countless of other musicians that I'm sure you can relate to more. 

Yeah, this. @OP: Maybe Taylor's music style ain't just for you, which is fine, why you gotta be such a hater tho?

07tandu

How is "cardigan" about high school exactly? :toofunny2:

Benghazi82

How is cardigan kidz bop? Lol I don't get it. Everyone wears a cardigan.

Cardigan is 1 of 3 songs about a love triangle. In cardigan, she's singing from the POV of a woman (betty) as she recounts the events when they were 17, so you'll obviously get imagery from that age. 

At least she writes her own lyrics.