Sweet Sexy Savage

Taylor is not like Madonna or MJ

Sweet Sexy Savage

She’s actually more like the Beatles in terms of being a songwriter and fighting a revolution for smaller artists :clap3:  Which is even better! That’s her legacy

liberalmusiclover

She can’t be her own artist? No need to compare her to them. 

My Tears Ricochet

She's on her on league, wbk:clap3:

A Legend :gaycat3:

Whatever level, league, etc. that Taylor is on, the important thing is that at the end of the day, she’ll be remembered amongst the Beatles, MJ, Madonna, etc. :clap3:

Sweet Sexy Savage
3 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

She can’t be her own artist? No need to compare her to them. 

I’m just trying to disprove those in that other thread saying she’s nowhere near Madonna/MJ, but she really did carve a singer songwriter path instead :clap3: 

MingYouToo
30 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

I’m just trying to disprove those in that other thread saying she’s nowhere near Madonna/MJ, but she really did carve a singer songwriter path instead :clap3: 

This is what the dance pop stans dont get.

You cant hold Taylor to the standard of the bombastic Madonna or eccentric MJ when shes always been about her stories and her writings. Her visuals always come second to the narratives she tells.

She just simply had an opportunity to be somewhat like Madonna in that basic poppy level but she is nothing like Madge, definitely has more in parallel with The Beatles.

Safe&Sound
2 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

You cant hold Taylor to the standard of the bombastic Madonna or eccentric MJ when shes always been about her stories and her writings. Her visuals always come second to the narratives she tells.

She just simply had an opportunity to be somewhat like Madonna in that basic poppy level but she is nothing like Madge, definitely has more in parallel with The Beatles.

katyhudson

Taylor is Taylor:sorry:

Raspberry Swirl

Her career path is very unusual. It really depends on where she goes next: either back to pop ($$$, keep her pop fanbase) or to experiment further (acclaim, get some older fans on board, less $$$). 

TeeJay

Sale wise, i would consider her on their level. Impact wise, not even close. For as massive as taylor is, she has very little to no truly iconic moments, and has had very little impact on pop culture as whole. People like MJ, Madonna, Janet, Britney and to a lesser extent gaga, all had MASSIVE impact on culture to go along with their sales, taylor is similar to pink in the sense that she is just there. Massive, but not really shaping the pop landscape or leaving any huge impact.

discotitzz
4 minutes ago, TeeJay said:

Sale wise, i would consider her on their level. Impact wise, not even close. For as massive as taylor is, she has very little to no truly iconic moments, and has had very little impact on pop culture as whole. People like MJ, Madonna, Janet, Britney and to a lesser extent gaga, all had MASSIVE impact on culture to go along with their sales, taylor is similar to pink in the sense that she is just there. Massive, but not really shaping the pop landscape or leaving any huge impact.

Gaga hardly made an impact on pop culture and I wish people would realise that :toofunny2: Just because she jumped on the Europop trend at the right time does not mean she was innovative or contributed something significant to pop culture. 

OT: Taylor is certainly an outlier among her peers. I’d find it hard to compare her to any other act tbh.

Juanny
17 minutes ago, Raspberry Swirl said:

Her career path is very unusual. It really depends on where she goes next: either back to pop ($$$, keep her pop fanbase) or to experiment further (acclaim, get some older fans on board, less $$$). 

Based on folklore's performance, this might end up being one of her most profitable eras :rip: 

16 minutes ago, TeeJay said:

Except Taylor is honestly MUCH bigger than Pink ever was. She's not "just there", she is a force in this industry. 

--

Taylor influences a lot more than people care to say, and we'll definitely be seeing a huge crop of artists inspired by her in the years to come. No way she's arguably the biggest artist/female artist of the past two decades and doesn't end up being some kind of prominent influence on the upcoming singer-songwriter pop artists. In fact, many of the newer pop artists already cite her as a prominent influence. Finneas O'Connell said himself that Taylor influenced his songwriting for years. 

Also, people really do ignore the fact she was a huge country crossover artist initially and was a bit of a force in helping to bring that genre/sound into mainstream pop. 

I agree with the OP in saying she is similar to The Beatles as opposed to Madonna/MJ. Her strength is in songwriting as opposed to performances. Also, she seems to be taking a truly album-centric (less focus on hit singles) and mature approach to her eras similar to what The Beatles did in their late-career. The Beatles were definitely seen as "for kids/teenages" in the early times and not as appreciated and lauded as they are today. I think she is the closest this generation has to a Beatles-esque trajectory, and as time passes, her work will definitely be seen in a more favourable light by all. We are already seeing it in retrospective reviews of her albums such as Red. 

gui

More like Carole King

Madame X

Lol

bad guy

I see her more as a consistent Carole King more than anybody bombastic like Madonna or MJ. Her whole package is about songwriting, there’s was about entertainment.

L.B GAGA

More like the 70's late 60's soft rock artists. I agree with others on Carole King. Or a Dolly Parton kinda artist. Or barbara Streisand, id say being on those levels is bigger than MJ or Madonna. 

Era
1 hour ago, Juanny said:

Based on folklore's performance, this might end up being one of her most profitable eras :rip: 

Except Taylor is honestly MUCH bigger than Pink ever was. She's not "just there", she is a force in this industry. 

--

Taylor influences a lot more than people care to say, and we'll definitely be seeing a huge crop of artists inspired by her in the years to come. No way she's arguably the biggest artist/female artist of the past two decades and doesn't end up being some kind of prominent influence on the upcoming singer-songwriter pop artists. In fact, many of the newer pop artists already cite her as a prominent influence. Finneas O'Connell said himself that Taylor influenced his songwriting for years. 

Also, people really do ignore the fact she was a huge country crossover artist initially and was a bit of a force in helping to bring that genre/sound into mainstream pop. 

I agree with the OP in saying she is similar to The Beatles as opposed to Madonna/MJ. Her strength is in songwriting as opposed to performances. Also, she seems to be taking a truly album-centric (less focus on hit singles) and mature approach to her eras similar to what The Beatles did in their late-career. The Beatles were definitely seen as "for kids/teenages" in the early times and not as appreciated and lauded as they are today. I think she is the closest this generation has to a Beatles-esque trajectory, and as time passes, her work will definitely be seen in a more favourable light by all. We are already seeing it in retrospective reviews of her albums such as Red. 

All of this :clap3:

bluth
2 hours ago, MingYouToo said:

lmao taylor swift is not some enigma that the hoi polloi cannot interpret. conversely, “basic poppy” madonna has released several albums better than any ts record

i think atrl dangerously overrates taylor as a songwriter (which i suppose is probably just symptomatic of the fact that atrl quickly jumps to compare whoever is hot right now to madonna et al)

her songwriting is serviceable but  you can throw a rock and hit tons of better songwriters both past and present - lorde, frank, st vincent, solange, twigs, robyn to name a few from the present crew. i think frank ocean is a perfect example of a songwriter who’s managed to strike an emotional chord with the youth of today and will have a lasting impact on future artists, whereas from my experience taylor has mostly struck a chord with white girls who love disney and friends 

i guess taylor has managed to hit that balance between songwriting that appeals to rockist ideas of what “good songwriting” is (i.e. not “basic poppy”) and music that sells a lot, so i suppose she deserves some credit for that. but people thinking that taylor writing about knitted sweaters and vintage tea sets or w/e is a more valuable artistic statement than an album like erotica probably have a very myopic view of what “good songwriting” is

Robert

No lies spotted :clap3:

TSwiftie
2 hours ago, Juanny said:

Can we just leave her out of here? :skull: P!nk is also on her way to be a legend and has influenced countless artists and early 2000's followed by huge sales and lesser impact in the 2010's

OT: Taylor is surely making her way up there and we are so lucky to witness her ride :clap3:

modeblock
47 minutes ago, bluth said:

lmao taylor swift is not some enigma that the hoi polloi cannot interpret. conversely, “basic poppy” madonna has released several albums better than any ts record

i think atrl dangerously overrates taylor as a songwriter (which i suppose is probably just symptomatic of the fact that atrl quickly jumps to compare whoever is hot right now to madonna et al)

her songwriting is serviceable but  you can throw a rock and hit tons of better songwriters both past and present - lorde, frank, st vincent, solange, twigs, robyn to name a few from the present crew. i think frank ocean is a perfect example of a songwriter who’s managed to strike an emotional chord with the youth of today and will have a lasting impact on future artists, whereas from my experience taylor has mostly struck a chord with white girls who love disney and friends 

i guess taylor has managed to hit that balance between songwriting that appeals to rockist ideas of what “good songwriting” is (i.e. not “basic poppy”) and music that sells a lot, so i suppose she deserves some credit for that. but people thinking that taylor writing about knitted sweaters and vintage tea sets or w/e is a more valuable artistic statement than an album like erotica probably have a very myopic view of what “good songwriting” is

I love Taylor, I think she's a really interesting artist.

This is TEA tho :clap3:

G'Day
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Juanny said:

I hate the constant erasure of people like Dolly Parton and Shania Twain, who ACTUALLY were forces in country crossover and bringing that genre/sound into mainstream pop. Not to mention all male artists who contributed to country pop throughout the decades. Huge country crossover artists like Dolly, Olivia Newton-John, Shania, Leann Rimes, even Carrie Underwood had a slew of country crossover hits or transitioned from country genre to pop genre before Taylor. 

Taylor has huge influence as a songwriter but her country crossover was nothing new or revolutionary and it really shows a lack of music knowledge when people use this as main point of Taylor’s influence.

Edited by G'Day

Nick_317

She's the only one of her and you'll never find another like her

n2qWxqs.gif

Cute

She is in her own league but she will definitely be remembered as one of the greats alongside the Beatles, madonna, etc 

MadOnHer

OMG the amount of delusion in this thread!!! :deadbanana2:

1 hour ago, bluth said:

Thankfully there is someone that talks some sense! :clap3::clap3: