KevinKDC

Beyonce's lack of support for the LGBT community

KevinKDC

Hive, calm your **** before you start getting defensive.

Beyonce is THE black phenomenon  we've had since MJ and is probably the most representative and supportive to the black culture.

After just watching Black Is King, an iconic moment for the black culture, I can't help but notice the narrative of a straight king and queen being  displayed all over and have yet to see any mention or visual display of anything related to the LGBT community. Then I started thinking about there is a huge lack (or non existent) representation of LGBT community in B her music or videos and overall artistry.

The irony of blacklivesmatter and this entire concept of loving oneself is that black trans and gays are murdered the most by black man. The fact that nobody is really talking about it :rip:

I as a black gay man am honestly disappointed that an artist who has that much influence in the black culture, has yet to put her core fanbase;  the black gay man in the forefront. 

king_queen

Beyoncé is a straight black woman. Her core fan base is black women. That’s what she represents. She does not HAVE to do anything for the gay community. MJ didn’t, but Beyoncé has done plenty. And if she constantly went out of her way to represent the LGBT+ community, y’all would find a way to complain and “be disappointed” about that as well.

Beautiful Garbage

Oh well...

AcrobaticOptimalAdeliepenguin-size_restr

Maestro

She gave a nod to the black gay community in the Formation video with the spoken word ‘yasss’ bit

but yeah she needs to do a lot more 

*-ChriZ-*

Im sorry to burst a bubble here, but shes not Jesus. Beyonce cannot represent every single thing. The last projects since Lemonade focussed a LOT on BLM and its movement, yet she still incorporated the lgbtq community in visuals for All Night for instance. Yes, the lgbtq community wasnt her main target, but cmon, what else is she supposed to do? Find the vaccine for Covid?

Shes always been an ally, has dedicated a whole lot to the community such as questioning the heteronormativity of male black Americans, celebrating pride and the option to marry as gay men, has featured gay people in Freakum Dress (black drags for that matter) and has always made sure to give opportunity to gay black men.

BnPac
Posted (edited)

Black gay men are not her core audience, women are, ever were. The gays are just louder online. 
It’s the story of Simba and Nala, I am sorry it wasn’t made about gays. 
And there are no lack of support from her part, she had trans featuring in her B’Day videos before it was even popular to do so. She doesn’t have to make a show of it. 

Edited by BnPac

Beautiful Garbage
1 minute ago, king_queen said:

Beyoncé is a straight black woman. Her core fan base is black women. That’s what she represents. She does not HAVE to do anything for the gay community. MJ didn’t, but Beyoncé has done plenty. And if she constantly went out of her way to represent the LGBT+ community, y’all would find a way to complain and “be disappointed” about that as well.

So according to your logic white artists shouldn't say a word about the whole BLM movement assuming that the majority of their base consist of white people?

Mikeymoonshine

There are some gay couples in the all night video but sure Beyonce could be talking about lgbt+ issues and black trans women more. It's OK to criticise her for that but she has done a lot more activism than many other artists and you can't be an activist for everything. 

Karla Cabello

shes not gay. what do u expect lol

king_queen
2 minutes ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

So according to your logic white artists shouldn't say a word about the whole BLM movement assuming that the majority of their base consist of white people?

They don’t have to. Did you not read the part where I said that Beyoncé has already done plenty? Or did you just quote me for the sake of argument?

Click Clack

Literally who cares 

suburbannature

latest?cb=20180605000206

Beautiful Garbage

They don’t have to. Did you not read the part where I said that Beyoncé has already done plenty? Or did you just quote me for the sake of argument?

Just because it isn't their fight, it doesn't really mean that they would have to remain silent. Using their platform to raise awareness and educate themselves and their followers is the least they can do as public figures. 

I think what the OP was trying to justify there is that Beyoncé is known for being vocal about certain topics but LGBTQI-related ones - and that's interesting considering that the OP probably thinks that her support to a community who ultimately looks up to her would mean a lot. 

king_queen
1 minute ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

Just because it isn't their fight, it doesn't really mean that they would have to remain silent. Using their platform to raise awareness and educate themselves and their followers is the least they can do as public figures. 

I think what the OP was trying to justify there is that Beyoncé is known for being vocal about certain topics but LGBTQI-related ones - and that's interesting considering that the OP probably thinks that her support to a community who ultimately looks up to her would mean a lot. 

Beyoncé has used her platform several times to raise awareness for the rights of the LGBT+ community. Did you not read that in my OP, or are you still quoting me for the sake of an argument?

G.U.Y. Gaga
4 minutes ago, Click Clack said:

Literally who cares 

Black gay men are not her core audience, women are, ever were. The gays are just louder online. 
It’s the story of Simba and Nala, I am sorry it wasn’t made about gays. 
And there are no lack of support from her part, she had trans featuring in her B’Day videos before it was even popular to do so. She doesn’t have to make a show of it. 

KevinKDC
3 minutes ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

You've said it perfectly.

Thinking Of You
Posted (edited)

Let’s be real. The black community as a whole isn’t the biggest ally for the LGBTQ+ community. She’s never ignored that community. She’s clearly supportive. But I do feel that she is staying as neutral as possible to be able to appeal to her main demographic.

I don’t think it’ll go over well if she included more LGBTQ+ representation into her material anyway. It would divide her main base. 

Edited by Thinking Of You

MingYouToo
3 minutes ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

This.

Her market is black women. But a lot of queer folk look to her as well. Its a valid criticism to ask why she doesnt give a lil bit more effort to pander to the other markets that love her.

ZIVERT
Posted (edited)

The purpose of Black is King was to recreate the Lion King, told through the story of Black people. Simba and Nala are not homosexuals, nor are there any hints of LGBT+ themes in the original Lion King movie.

Secondly, her core base is Black women. Her lyricism in a lot of her new music points to that. Hell, even her older music was mostly influenced by the Black woman’s experience. Black women are very rarely celebrated in the public sphere for their features and for their contributions in society, and for you as a MAN (gay or not) to try and redirect the attention to yourself, is actually pretty misogynistic.

Thirdly, Beyoncé has openly supported the LGBT+ community many times. Most recently was when she won the GLAAD Vanguard Award in 2019, where she stated the following: “We would like to request that we continue to shift the stigmas in this community. Especially the stigmas in black families towards accepting queer black and brown men and women around the world.” She even dedicated their award to her deceased gay uncle, who died of HIV, but lived his life out and proud during a time when the public was not as accepting of the LGBT+ community in general. Not to mention her mother-in-law is a lesbian woman. Say what you will about Bey and Jay, but as a powerful couple in the public sphere, their continued support is an amazing thing for the LGBT+ community.

Moral of the story - there’s a time and place. Not everything is about you.

Edited by ZIVERT

infrared

Pretty sure she's spoken for gay multiple times, including pride :rip: 

Not every celebrity needs to go the extra mile for every single minority - there are many who say nothing at all. 

KevinKDC
13 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

shes not gay. what do u expect lol

So you have to be something first before you can support it? Okay :rip:

Nip Tuck
22 minutes ago, KevinKDC said:

After just watching Black Is King, an iconic moment for the black culture, I can't help but notice the narrative of a straight king and queen being  displayed all over and have yet to see any mention or visual display of anything related to the LGBT community

I could be wrong but wasn't Black Is King based on the narrative of TLK, hence the imagery of a king and queen.

Other than that, I do agree. 

Beautiful Garbage

Beyoncé has used her platform several times to raise awareness for the rights of the LGBT+ community. Did you not read that in my OP, or are you still quoting me for the sake of an argument?

Well I don't follow her so if you say she's been supportive to the gay community I believe you. I just didn't quite agree when you implied that just because she's straight she didn't have to show support to a cause she's not part of.

MingYouToo
1 minute ago, Thinking Of You said:

Let’s be real. The black community as a whole isn’t the biggest ally for the LGBTQ+ community. She’s never ignored that community. She clearly supportive. But I do feel that she is staying as neutral as possible to be able to appeal to her main demographic.

I don’t think it’ll go over well if she included more LGBTQ+ representation into her material anyway. It would divide her main base. 

Pains me to agree.

You'd think a community constantly persecuted for their skin color, something theyre born with, would be very accepting of other communities that struggle as well.

BnPac
1 minute ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

What type of support do you guys want? Her thing has always been female empowerment since DC and despite that, she had trans and gay couples in her videos, have a black gay man’s words being the main point and focus in formation, did an interview in 2006 when she said she tries as much as possible to use gay lingo to feel close that part of her fans and many more. But the truth is that, you guys are never satisfied, you are so entitled and use the stupid reasons to criticize women at every turn. 
Just decide that she’s homophobic and move on to another singer. It’s probably better.