Sign in to follow this  
Safe&Sound

Would folklore hit 1mil if it wasn't pandemic?

Safe&Sound

First of all, let's not discredit her monumental success with folklore

844k is very impressive for an album which got released all of sudden

But, let's say this wasn't in pandemic situation

Everyone could go out to store, would folklore have a shot to debut with 1mil+ copies first week again?

I wonder about this bc buying Taylor's album in Target is one of our fandom's habit

JesusORGod

Yeah, I know people irl who still don't know about the album but as soon as they found out they did buy it.

She's too powerful and she would have hit it with Lover had she not put a lead for 10 years olds.

Safe&Sound
12 minutes ago, JesusORGod said:

She's too powerful and she would have hit it with Lover had she not put a lead for 10 years olds.

This is also good point

I think ppl got turned off with Lover bc of ME!

HASHTAGPOW

I think the pandemic also helped a lot the album tbh. It made people hungry for new music somehow   :gaycat2:

Edited by HASHTAGPOW

muddysquirrel

Can't we calculate that after we see next week's (week after next actually, forgot today is Sunday nnn) Target numbers? I'd say 50/50 chance.

Edited by muddysquirrel

Blue Rose

People just bought the albums from her website instead of going to Target. The physical sales on her website are on par with Lover so this thread is kinda stupid. 
This is actually better for her in the long term. She no longer has to split her coins with Target

Xtianlofbritney

I honestly think the pandemic helped the sales.

i sell things on internet and my sales have exploded since March. I think it’s because many people is at home.

Edited by Xtianlofbritney

Safe&Sound
4 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

i sell things on internet and my sales have exploded since March. I think it’s because many people is at home.

But do ppl know of there's Taylor's new album?

Remember Taylor's fans ranged from kids, teenagers, to old people who may be not familiar with Instagram/Twitter when she dropped all the infromation about the album

*insert middle-aged woman bringing Lover rack to cashier.gif*

Xtianlofbritney
Just now, Safe&Sound said:

But do ppl know of there's Taylor's new album?

Remember Taylor's fans ranged from kids, teenagers, to old people who may be not familiar with Instagram/Twitter when she dropped all the infromation about the album

*insert middle-aged woman bringing Lover rack to cashier.gif*

Most of my customers ( I sell home decor ) are middle aged womans.

Juanny
11 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

congrats sis! get coins! 

-

OT: I'd guess not. It's hard to say. 

naval23

I honestly don't think so.

Streaming/digital sales are the way now - barely anyone is going out to stores to buy physical albums

Starshine

If anything, it helped it. People are bored at home and have something to be excited about. People need to stop acting like we're living in the stone ages especially when we get all of our news on social media and should be plenty aware that she dropped a new album. :skull: 

Blankspace2010

No, nobody finds out about new albums by randomly spotting it in the store. It’s age of social media, the surprise release increased sales. If normal release without pandemic, sales would be lower Because people would be busy with their lives and not care about this album as much. 

dweebz

Lol no

the pandemic helped her major!

Robi

Yes and no?

i don’t think she would’ve put 8 CDs and 8 Vinyls on the shelves...probably still her official store exclusive edition

amazon would’ve help probably

but then again she probably made more money now then with Lover as someone said that she isn’t sharing her profits with anybody apart from factory that’s makes all those CDs and Vinyls...

bluebirdsforever

It's hard to say.

Her pure in-store sales obviously took a hit, but her streaming went up as a result. I'd say she would probably have reached similar numbers but with the proportion of pure units and streamed units skewed differently.

There's also the fact that the album would literally not exist if the pandemic didn't happen, so it's different to theorise about how something that's a direct result of the times and written for these circumstances would fare outside of them. 

Rv1709

I think it would’ve been the same. Her loss in physical sales is made up by the increase in streaming. Bottom line is, first week sales are always driven by the fandom and the fandom will always find a way to find the album : whether instore or online 

BtDecember

This album would not even exist if it wasn’t pandemic... :skull:

But I think if went to her regular rollout it would reach 1 million due to preorders

Kingpin

Not with people quarantined at home with more free time to spend with the album

Rep2000
1 hour ago, Blue Rose said:

People just bought the albums from her website instead of going to Target. The physical sales on her website are on par with Lover so this thread is kinda stupid. 
This is actually better for her in the long term. She no longer has to split her coins with Target

I'm confused. We are talking about fans buying physical albums at the stores???? Which is a longtime swifties' tradition at this point. Go to the store, buying (multiple)/a copy and then listen on the car with your friends.

I only agree that due to the nature of the pandemic, fans have to seek out to streaming platforms more, hence the huge streaming number comparing to Lover. Which could be a good thing for Taylor's fanbase to transition themselves to the streaming era. Most new car models are having no CD player nowadays.

Edit: Also no hundred thousands of pre-orders building up in months. Which further highlighting the major difference of physical sales ("on her website") between Lover and folklore. They are not exactly "on par".

Edited by Rep2000

Rep2000

As long as folklore susprise release helps her base streaming the album more in the long term, then I'm all for folklore not joining in the 1 mil club (:jonny5:).

So many times I caught myself listening to the album tracks that I bought instead of using streaming platforms ( :jonny2:).

jomarr

The pandemic was part of the charm. It was an album for the moment.

Either way, she'll be selling twice or thrice more than our faves, always. Her power>

JawBreaker

First of all soo many people don't even know she dropped lol. So idk why ATRL is acting as if everyone knows because were in the social media age :rip:

I saw countless tweets and instagram posts of people saying they didn't even know. That already kinda hurted her. Also her having her insta comments turned off limits her posts getting more attention. I'm sure it would've gotten 8M+ likes if it were open. 

Anyway yeah not sure if it would've hit 1M+ but i'm sure it would've came close. Cause she has so many casual listeners that if they went to Target and saw it they would've probably picked one up. 

Sept

Her fans brought it nonetheless, but this time on her stores and not in Target. And the 16 versions would probably make up for the difference.

Also nobody buys CDs anymore nowadays unless you are a fan. So I would say no

Otter

Isn't lack of physical due to the surprise release and not the pandemic?

Sign in to follow this