MingYouToo

Was Mariah's Daydream the biggest GRAMMY snub of all time?

filmman
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Don't Stop Me Now said:

yes, the album was a critical success. 

maybe in some bubble

ot: no, there are way bigger snubs. and with alanis winning this was not a snub.

Edited by filmman

GoodGuyGoneGhetto
2 minutes ago, Don't Stop Me Now said:

Her marriage to Tommy played a role in her getting snubbed, most definitely. It was all politics, but out of all of her nominations, she only deserved 1-2 at the most. My girl Anita deserved the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. I Apologize is superior to everything on Daydream, with all honesty. That album is overrated.

Daydream was Mariah’s most critically acclaimed album up until that point. Her songwriting was even praised. The album performed much better critically than her pre Daydream albums. Many music critics were expecting Daydream to sweep. So, yes, the album was a critical success. 

7 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

I forgot ANTI was snubbed :rip: 

She should've won but I feel less bad because it was obvious Queen didn't care. Mariah and SZA looked so devastated by the end of the night :( 

The Grammy noms. for “Daydream” made no sense to me anyhow. :rip:

The cut off date for the 1996 GRAMMY’s was October 1995 and the ceremony took place in March 1996.

• How was “ABMB” nominated for a Grammy in the R&B category when it had yet to be released as a single and wouldn’t be until March 1996? 

• How was “OSD” nominated for ‘ROTY’ when it had yet to be released a single and top the charts also - especially considering it debuted at #1?

The vast majority of “Daydream’s” success literally came after the GRAMMY cut-off date and, prior to that, only “Fantasy” was a success from the album and it was still only several weeks new. :rip:

Unlike “Daydream”, “Jagged Little spill” had been out since May 1995 so at least it had time (5 months) to build upon its acclaim and commercial success. 

Mandalay
37 minutes ago, filmman said:

what critical succes :rip: and alanis was much bigger

automatic for the people
ok computer

kid a
purple rain

odelay

it takes a nation of millions to hold us back

my beautiful dark twisted fantasy
nevermind

to bring you my love
appetite for destruction
straight outta compton
back in black
swordfishtrombones

is this it

hounds of love

paul's boutique

the queen is dead
disintegration

like a prayer

nebraska

channel orange
what's the story morning glory?

homogenic

exile in guyville

funeral

illinois

back to black

to pimp a butterfly

but k.

LOL.

Don't Stop Me Now
3 minutes ago, filmman said:

maybe in your bubble

google is free

ot: no, there are way bigger snubs. and with alanis winning was not a snub.

There is no bubble; Daydream was a critical success - you can’t argue with music critics. Deal with it and take your cocky, obsessed with critical acclaim butt on somewhere. I guess because an album doesn’t make RS 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time List, that automatically mean an album was panned. What a joke.

Fitzswiftie
59 minutes ago, Alpha Male said:

Possibly, but please don't go for Jagged Little Pill's success because it deserved its win. 

+1

Especially after the travesty of giving AOTY to Tony Bennett’s MTV Unplugged. I’m shocked they went with something as radical and cool as JLP

bad guy
38 minutes ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

Back in the 90s,   Mariah was seen as a label puppet who over-sang her songs. Her music was also seen as overly-sentimental/  novelty/ pandering to the lowest common denomnatior.  Kind of the way Katy Perry is seen.   Plus, writing your own songs wasn't seen as impressive when you have so many alt-girls like Alanis who were doing that, and not just writing love songs.  Which is funny, b/c they handed Taylor and Adele two AOTYs for the same stuff two decades later.  

Hm. So bad timing basically. But wasn't Celine much worse in that overly-sentimental/novelty/pandering regard? I do get the over-singing critique a bit as some of Mariah's earlier albums that I've heard bits and pieces of sounded over the top. Butterfly is a great record though.

Fitzswiftie

Technically it’s joint 8th

BhpoL32.jpg

Thinking Of You

SZA’s snub was awful too. She literally was the most nominated woman that night with 7 nominations and left empty handed. Like, huh? 

Taemira

the album sucks so no

Likingstars
8 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

BhpoL32.jpg

The amount of black artists on this list :skull:

BlueTimberwolf
1 minute ago, bad guy said:

Hm. So bad timing basically. But wasn't Celine much worse in that overly-sentimental/novelty/pandering regard? I do get the over-singing critique a bit as some of Mariah's earlier albums that I've heard bits and pieces of sounded over the top. Butterfly is a great record though.

Celine was seen as an AC artist which gave her some credibility and her sales were too big to ignore. However, she was never a critics darling either and her reviews were always mixed. True critic darlings of the era were your PJ Harvey/Jewel/ Sarah Machlaclan types.    

Mariah was seen as a credible throwback artist like Adele for her first two eras, when they made her Best New Artist.  She was then seen as a pop/hip hop trend hopper there after.  

Kylizzle

No because Bjork has zero Grammys despite releasing Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine back to back. Mariah deserved some recognition that night tho. 

MingYouToo
33 minutes ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

Celine was seen as an AC artist which gave her some credibility and her sales were too big to ignore. However, she was never a critics darling either and her reviews were always mixed. True critic darlings of the era were your PJ Harvey/Jewel/ Sarah Machlaclan types.    

Mariah was seen as a credible throwback artist like Adele for her first two eras, when they made her Best New Artist.  She was then seen as a pop/hip hop trend hopper there after.  

So she was seen as a more credible Ariana basically :rip: I never knew ddddd

genio

Daydream

Anti

Thank U, Next

all 3 women leaving home empty handed for their most critically acclaimed and successful works :deadbanana:they could've at least given them an award in the pop category. Welp, nothing to do about it here. As someone already mentioned, Billie won more awards in one night than Mariah, Whitney and Celine in their whole careers :skull: so Grammys are always a nice addition to ones work ethic, but it doesn't take away the hard work, quality and success from anyone

rihannabiggestfan
2 hours ago, Qmhp said:

Yes, ANTI is the second biggest snub 

Yes!

naval23
2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Yes. /Thread

There's an entire documentary film about it on YouTube :ahh: 

Do you have a link?

naval23
59 minutes ago, Likingstars said:

The amount of black artists on this list :skull:

1 hour ago, Fitzswiftie said:

BhpoL32.jpg

OMG they did Rihanna's Anti so dirty... :rip:

Mariah's "Daydream" had huge competition though - it was against Alanis's "Jagged Little Pill" for AOTY, Joni Mitchell for "Best Pop Album" but she definitely deserved her other nominations imo 

naval23
1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The Grammy noms. for “Daydream” made no sense to me anyhow. :rip:

The cut off date for the 1996 GRAMMY’s was October 1995 and the ceremony took place in March 1996.

• How was “ABMB” nominated for a Grammy in the R&B category when it had yet to be released as a single and wouldn’t be until March 1996? 

• How was “OSD” nominated for ‘ROTY’ when it had yet to be released a single and top the charts also - especially considering it debuted at #1?

The vast majority of “Daydream’s” success literally came after the GRAMMY cut-off date and, prior to that, only “Fantasy” was a success from the album and it was still only several weeks new. :rip:

Unlike “Daydream”, “Jagged Little spill” had been out since May 1995 so at least it had time (5 months) to build upon its acclaim and commercial success. 

OMG this is so true. How did "One Sweet Day" and "Always Be My Baby" even get nominations when they weren't even released - what a mess :rip:

StrangerInTheDark
Posted (edited)

No... Should've won based on what? Success? 

Edited by StrangerInTheDark

StrangerInTheDark
41 minutes ago, naval23 said:

OMG this is so true. How did "One Sweet Day" and "Always Be My Baby" even get nominations when they weren't even released - what a mess :rip:

Mariah in 90s was pure payola :rip:

bestfiction
1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

No because Bjork has zero Grammys despite releasing Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine back to back. Mariah deserved some recognition that night tho. 

This

GoodGuyGoneGhetto
1 hour ago, naval23 said:

Exactly Sis!

Her nominations that era were so confusing to me, and still are.

”OSD” and especially “ABMB” weren’t even singles...

Unless there was a rule at the time whereby any song from an album could be put forward as a nomination and that still wouldn’t make sense as “Daydream” was barely released at the time.

Why would “OSD” score a ‘ROTY’ nomination when it ONLY became a hit after the Grammy cut-off date for 1995? :deadbanana4:

cuneytb
1 hour ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

No... Should've won based on what? Success? 

Success, songwriting skills, one of the best voice (because you know, she is a singer), producing skills, beauty. 

and yeah here we have you again thinking that you are telling everyone the truth when its just full of delusions. 

wolfaire

Mariah in general was and still is snubbed. But it's okay 'cause global legend is still being adored everywhere and her songs are still being sung en masse every year. Not everybody has that :fan:

Don't Stop Me Now

Sis, payola has to do with radio airplay. Mariah never had an issue with that. Her own label was busted for using pay for play, but Mariah was not one of the artists listed. Like Destiny’s Child for example.