Sign in to follow this  
Sakura Jun™

China's ByteDance Agrees To Sell TikTok After Trump's Threat

Sakura Jun™

China’s ByteDance has agreed to divest the US operations of TikTok completely in a bid to save a deal with the White House, after Donald Trump said on Friday he had decided to ban the popular short-video app, two people familiar with the matter said on Saturday.

US officials have said TikTok under its Chinese parent poses a national risk because of the personal data it handles. ByteDance’s concession will test whether Trump’s threat to ban TikTok is a negotiating tactic or whether he is intent on cracking down on a social media app that has up to 80 million daily active users in the US.

ByteDance was previously seeking to keep a minority stake in the US business of TikTok, which the White House had rejected. Under the new proposed deal, ByteDance would exit completely and Microsoft would take over TikTok in the United States, the sources said. Some ByteDance investors that are based in the United States may be given the opportunity to take minority stakes in the business, the sources added.

Under ByteDance’s new proposal, Microsoft would be in charge of protecting all US user data, the sources said. The plan allows for another US company other than Microsoft to take over TikTok in the United States, the sources added.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/aug/01/tiktok-ban-china-bytedance-divest-microsoft

Marvin

How would this even work? It sounds so messy :deadbanana:

Madonno

The so called leader of the free World bullying other countries. Colour me shocked.

Espresso

NOW we finally have some clarification. This story's been such a cluster**** :ace: 

HASHTAGPOW

Trump should buy it and rebrand. Rise TikTrump :clap3:

JoshBTW
4 hours ago, Madonno said:

The so called leader of the free World bullying other countries. Colour me shocked.

Well I’m the last one to support trump but chinas been treating non Chinese companies like this for years. This is probably the only one thing I think trump is doing right, and the European Union should join as well. 

frenchyisback
5 hours ago, Madonno said:

You do realize Google, Facebook and multiple others are banned from China?

The way the CCP fans would say the craziest thing to defend the CCP double standard. :rip:

Robert

Banning this app is stupid and yes I know China does the same thing but they're hardly a good example of how to behave. 

Butters
23 hours ago, frenchyisback said:

You do realize Google, Facebook and multiple others are banned from China?

The way the CCP fans would say the craziest thing to defend the CCP double standard. :rip:

China does it so we should too, gr8 logic, can't possibly go wrong :coffee2:

Soup in Teapot
Posted (edited)

I don’t support censorship but China doesn’t force Apple, Facebook, google to sell their operations. The US hypocrisy is really not brand new information. :celestial5: 

China required Apple to put the local icloud service in mainland. Apple agreed. China also asked Google/Facebook to operate some cencored  local versions service but they refused and left. 

Edited by Soup in Teapot

frenchyisback
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Butters said:

China does it so we should too, gr8 logic, can't possibly go wrong :coffee2:

Yea, we already know what happens when you tie both your hands against a totalitarian regime. Weakness invites more trouble. 
Appeasement failed in the 30s/40s. Never again!

Just because you play pretend that we are not at an economic war with China doesn’t make it any less true. They are at war with us economically. They are stealing intellectual property left and right and they lock down their markets while whining about wanting even more access here.

Edited by frenchyisback

Sign in to follow this