Dopeamine

Are we really that invested in Taylor's success?

Legendary
1 hour ago, Dopeamine said:

I'm biased

:cm:

HandsToMyself

What?! Just because she’s sold this much before means we shouldn’t be impressed that she’s able to maintain it? (something most artists can’t achieve) 

I get not liking the music or her personality. But your subjective stance on which basic blonde pop star’s “success” story is more interesting or worthy of conversation is simply your own opinion and shouldn’t deprive or speak for those who wish to commend a woman breaking records 14 years into her career.

Benghazi82

It's kind of boring actually. Basic, blonde pop star who appeals to everyone sells another 800k-1M copies in a week. Yay? Isn't that what we expected? 

I'm biased, but Gaga's music story has been a lot more interesting to follow and talk about. The so-called floppage of ARTPOP, her rise then fall then rise again. It's a "success" I can invest in because of the ups and downs. Taylor's story on the other hand...

Thoughts? 

Basic pop star? You forgot the part about her being a country star first, then pop, and now indie folk.

She also had years-long feud with Kanye and Katy.

But you're right winning all the time may get boring sometimes

TaylorFantasy

I understand that people have different coping mechanism and it’s really brave that you are willing to share yours with the world :clap3:

Feanor

The way Monsters have truly lost it. The Chromatica era (or lack thereof) really did a number on them.

Ampersand13

Maybe I'm trying to get at something deeper here. Like, why are people more likely to support someone who always wins, and more likely to root for the failure of someone who has fought hard to win?

I understand your point. Here’s the thing though, Taylor doesn’t necessarily always win. Her album sales, touring force, and singles, yes. But her reputation was BESMIRCHED for a long period of time. She faced such harsh criticism for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Then she had her entire catalogue bought by someone who has publicly discredited her.

If you’re looking at stats, then yeah I guess she always wins, but it’s not like she hasn’t had tribulations to overcome. 

I guess the other thing I’d like to question is why you deem Taylor basic? I don’t know a single other pop star who managed to write an entire record at nineteen solely by themself and have it amount to such astronomical heights. That doesn’t scream basic to me. Reputation definitely doesn’t scream basic either. With Folklore, changing up her genre again and randomly dropping her most acclaimed work doesn’t sound basic either. 

She is one of the most talented musicians working in pop today. She can play guitar, bass, drums, and piano, she can produce, she can write for numerous genres, and has managed to maintain a streak of success that is nothing short of astounding. I don’t think that’s basic, not everything that takes off in the mainstream is. And if she were as basic as some claim, she wouldn’t be able to have the career she does. 

Also, I think it’s time we debunk the ‘she appeals to every demographic’ myth because it is inherently untrue. Her first three record are country albums with her fourth being country influenced, there are MANY people that despise that genre. Then she did 1989 and alienated those who felt she ‘sold out.’ She went on to criticize the media’s slut shaming with what would become a signature hit ‘Blank Space,’ despite constantly being pegged as a serial dater. Then she alienated people further by committing to the persona of being a ‘snake’ and refusing to do interviews during Reputation. And she’s managed to switch everything up again with Folklore.

Some people make it seem like she’s always made the safe or basic choice when that is objectively untrue. What’s more fascinating Taylor as a case study in post-modern fan loyalty. Despite switching her image, sound, and persona she never loses artistic integrity and that binds her fans (myself included) together. It doesn’t matter what the genre or image might be, it is indisputable that her songwriting capabilities are some on the best and that she’s not going to release a project that isn’t meaningful to her or lyrically impressive. 

You can have a savvy business mind, you can have the best producers, you can have the most talked about relationships, but at the end of the day, for a singer-songwriter, if you can’t make people care, listen, and show up to your performances it doesn’t matter. People go to Taylor to see one of the world’s most talented storytellers who can open a show with just her and an acoustic guitar and be just as captivating as her full band and crew. That takes talent. That’s why her success is ongoing and still exhilarating to witness. At least, that’s what it is for me.  

Thor
2 hours ago, Ressti said:

Shes appeals. Like Adele. Gaga doesn't, for obvious reasons. Just accept it. You cant stan an artist that's become polarising and then be surprised when they flop every now and then. It is what it is. No need to focus on those that will always appeal to a wide demographic and make yourself needlessly angry on someone else's behalf.

You didn’t have to SNAP this hard but you did :jonny:

MissedTheTrain

The point of this thread is...

Anyway, the success is just an added bonus and makes us proud as fans.  The most important thing is the absolute fantastic quality of the album. :clap3: 

LiveYourLife
32 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

I understand your point. Here’s the thing though, Taylor doesn’t necessarily always win. Her album sales, touring force, and singles, yes. But her reputation was BESMIRCHED for a long period of time. She faced such harsh criticism for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Then she had her entire catalogue bought by someone who has publicly discredited her.

If you’re looking at stats, then yeah I guess she always wins, but it’s not like she hasn’t had tribulations to overcome. 

I guess the other thing I’d like to question is why you deem Taylor basic? I don’t know a single other pop star who managed to write an entire record at nineteen solely by themself and have it amount to such astronomical heights. That doesn’t scream basic to me. Reputation definitely doesn’t scream basic either. With Folklore, changing up her genre again and randomly dropping her most acclaimed work doesn’t sound basic either. 

She is one of the most talented musicians working in pop today. She can play guitar, bass, drums, and piano, she can produce, she can write for numerous genres, and has managed to maintain a streak of success that is nothing short of astounding. I don’t think that’s basic, not everything that takes off in the mainstream is. And if she were as basic as some claim, she wouldn’t be able to have the career she does. 

Also, I think it’s time we debunk the ‘she appeals to every demographic’ myth because it is inherently untrue. Her first three record are country albums with her fourth being country influenced, there are MANY people that despise that genre. Then she did 1989 and alienated those who felt she ‘sold out.’ She went on to criticize the media’s slut shaming with what would become a signature hit ‘Blank Space,’ despite constantly being pegged as a serial dater. Then she alienated people further by committing to the persona of being a ‘snake’ and refusing to do interviews during Reputation. And she’s managed to switch everything up again with Folklore.

Some people make it seem like she’s always made the safe or basic choice when that is objectively untrue. What’s more fascinating Taylor as a case study in post-modern fan loyalty. Despite switching her image, sound, and persona she never loses artistic integrity and that binds her fans (myself included) together. It doesn’t matter what the genre or image might be, it is indisputable that her songwriting capabilities are some on the best and that she’s not going to release a project that isn’t meaningful to her or lyrically impressive. 

You can have a savvy business mind, you can have the best producers, you can have the most talked about relationships, but at the end of the day, for a singer-songwriter, if you can’t make people care, listen, and show up to your performances it doesn’t matter. People go to Taylor to see one of the world’s most talented storytellers who can open a show with just her and an acoustic guitar and be just as captivating as her full band and crew. That takes talent. That’s why her success is ongoing and still exhilarating to witness. At least, that’s what it is for me.  

:clap3: people can stan for whoever they want. But to downplay other’s success and drag stans for loving who they love isn’t okay. At the end of the day, music should be the uniting reason and not someone’s monetary success when we won’t receive a single cent of that lol. 

JawBreaker

Let's be honest, people are stanning the numbers, not the "talent" 

why do you think we stan her for her numbers??? :rip: If that was the case I would've chosen someone like Adele or Madonna. 

I seriously don't get this notion that Taylor is somehow not a polarizing pop star. I can assure you people have way way way more opinions on her than most of the girls out there. For such a "basic blonde girl" people seem to have a lot of reserved opinions on her. 

Anyway I stan her because she's the only artist ever to make me feel things with her music consistently. And I personally value songwriting over everything else. Also seeing how people hate on her for literally no reason at all makes me stan her even harder. 

Katniss
2 hours ago, Ressti said:

Shes appeals. Like Adele. Gaga doesn't, for obvious reasons. Just accept it. You cant stan an artist that's become polarising and then be surprised when they flop every now and then. It is what it is. No need to focus on those that will always appeal to a wide demographic and make yourself needlessly angry on someone else's behalf.

Cleanromantic

People acting like the 2016/2017 or 2013 backlash didn't happen :toofunny2: She is one of the most divisive stars ever, to the point where her saying she had a good year causes millions of think pieces. 

Your faves would never survive that. Difference is Taylor got a loyal fan base that didn't abandon her 

Ampersand13
1 hour ago, LiveYourLife said:

:clap3: people can stan for whoever they want. But to downplay other’s success and drag stans for loving who they love isn’t okay. At the end of the day, music should be the uniting reason and not someone’s monetary success when we won’t receive a single cent of that lol. 

:hug:

Your taste judging by your sig is FLAWLESS :jamming:

LiveYourLife
17 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

:hug:

Your taste judging by your sig is FLAWLESS :jamming:

Thank you so much!! You have excellent taste yourself! :hug:

rebeltwat

Not you using Gaga's decrease in cultural relevance as something to brag about... 

fridayteenage
20 minutes ago, rebeltwat said:

Not you using Gaga's decrease in cultural relevance as something to brag about... 

it makes her EDGY i guess

Solar

Yeah Taylor's career seems way less interesting overall than many other artist's, but that's just my opinion. She's a GREAT music seller though and she serves quality most of the time so its ok.

Wikipedia

Taylor might be a lot more privileged than the average musician but let's not forget the sh*t she received from 2016-17. Seeing her go through that to having a record breaking stadium tour + a 1M selling album was a huge triumph for her and the fans. There's also the switch in genres and seeing how big companies like Apple and Spotify have changed their policies due to her calling them out. How many singers can you say have been able to do all of that successfully? 

sweetkiss

I saw peak of mankind stupidity regarding Taylor Swift success: on twitter I saw somebody selling THEIR OWN NUDES IN EXCHANGE TO BUY CARDIGAN or TAYLOR ALBUM, and then they proceeded TWEETING AGAIN how they done it 100 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) times, they cant do it no more.

Icant, for the life of me, understand, prostituing FOR SOMEBODY ELSE TO GET MONEY. like they didnt even ask for royalties.

+ puts taylor in dangerous position like she supports sex trafficking and all that ****.

Like, OMG. 

So yea, some people are TOO INVESTED IN SOMEBODY ELSE GETTING MONEY, I cant imagine me being that rich that I WORK FOR FREE for somebody else.

GTFO lmao

sweetkiss
4 hours ago, Dopeamine said:

Let's be honest, people are stanning the numbers, not the "talent" 

you must be onto something, cause rn I dont see any ADELE avi , but moment she puts numbers of her release HERE WE GO, ATRL ALWAYS STANNED ADELE

like wow LMAO.

Rep2000

Wait, who feel threaten or insecure about whom again? :gaycat2:

On 7/25/2020 at 1:07 PM, Dula Peep said:

The real question here is why do Swifties feel so threatened by Gaga? :huh: :laugh: :gaygacat4: 

skyandground

1989, Red, Speak Now and folklore are all better than the best Gaga album.

I actually enjoyed and purchased BTW in 2011.

But I'm sorry, in 2020, BTW sounds so much more outdated than Red and Speak Now that were released around the same time period.

Edited by skyandground