RULES

Sarah Michelle Gellar was hot in her prime...

RULES

I decided to rewatch Buffy the vampire SLAYAGE and it’s been a while. 

However I’m on season 5.... whew this women was a sight to see. Why wasn’t she offered top roles based off her looks alone.

She really was the MPG of television in the 90s. Such a shame her career didn’t blow up in the way it should in the later 00s.

PrinceMichaelFan

She still is a snack. :heart:

TripDaStati0n

shes still cute instead now she bakes cookies instead of slay vamps. I think her peak hottness was in season 2 when she wore that sexy raincoat and tried to seduce xander cause she was under a spell. Goddd she looked so hot in that

PMKARDASHIAN

SMG was a major actress in the 90s in films. She STAYED booked in movies like Cruel intentions, Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Simply Irresistible, Scooby Doo and The Grudge. 

I was a SMG stan the ENTIRE time, and in my memory she was always one of the most prominent actresses of that decade (aside from Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep and the likes) 

I believe she slowed down because she wanted to focus on her marriage but I could be remembering that wrong 

Buffy
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RULES said:

I decided to rewatch Buffy the vampire SLAYAGE and it’s been a while. 

However I’m on season 5.... whew this women was a sight to see. Why wasn’t she offered top roles based off her looks alone.

She really was the MPG of television in the 90s. Such a shame her career didn’t blow up in the way it should in the later 00s.

She was gorgeous in Season 5. She had the best hair that season too!! It was soooo radiant!! I wonder what product she used and why she stopped using it after that season???

tumblr_mh9e4wbyPm1reop97o1_250.gif
5674439cc57fdaf7b97d572aa58d3de278b2c736

29e8373abe3b222a16ce8f3408227c36e65ddb52

Edited by Buffy

jezebelvictoria

She looks like your standard jar of mayo to me. 

cruelcooper

90s QUEEN! 

Sarah michelle gellar i know what you did last summer GIF - Find ...

she was stunning in IKWYDLS :jonny2:

Smithy

She didn’t want to act as much so took a backseat after the Scooby Doo films, had kids and set up a baking company

Ryuuchan_X
4 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

BhHIFET.gif

bliaz

I loved her in Cruel Intentions :jonny:

bliaz
10 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

BhHIFET.gif

azii

Literally an icon :heart2:

Supervixen

I loved her back in the late 90s/early 00s, she was so stunning :jonny: I'm obsessed with her in Cruel Intentions, such an iconic role. I loved her CW show Ringer too, I was so sad when it got canceled.

SavagePapi

IKWYDLS prime or BTVS prime? :smitten:

She was always a doll! Sad, she should've been bigger imo. I guess the transition to the big screen didn't work for her.

Inverted
1 hour ago, RULES said:

Why wasn’t she offered top roles based off her looks alone.

51 minutes ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

SMG was a major actress in the 90s in films. She STAYED booked in movies like Cruel intentions, Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Simply Irresistible, Scooby Doo and The Grudge. 

I was a SMG stan the ENTIRE time, and in my memory she was always one of the most prominent actresses of that decade (aside from Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep and the likes) 

I believe she slowed down because she wanted to focus on her marriage but I could be remembering that wrong 

42 minutes ago, Smithy said:

She didn’t want to act as much so took a backseat after the Scooby Doo films, had kids and set up a baking company

This is complete historical revision. :rip:

SMG was not a major actress in the 90s in movies and not really on TV. She was a big teen idol who had facial and even name recognition thanks to Buffy. Although it was on small TV networks (the WB, UPN) and didn't get high viewership, it was recognizable in the media and so she was she. She had some success in movies, but in supporting roles in blockbusters (Scream 2, IKWYDLS, Scooby Doo movies) as well as a teen movie (Cruel Intentions) and finally the lead role The Grudge, but it would have been a success without her like The Ring. Simply Irresistible was not a hit.

Also, her career didn't slow down because she didn't want to act as much. She tried transitioning into movies after Buffy ended, but didn't see any success besides The Grudge. All the other movies she was flopped or were straight-to-video (The Air I Breathe, The Return, Suburban Girl, Veronika Decides to Die, Southland Tales, Possession, Happily N'Ever After). She then tried to return to television, but didn't see success there either (The Wonderful Maladys, Ringer, The Crazy Ones, Cruel Intentions).

46 minutes ago, jezebelvictoria said:

She's a natural brunette like your fave and just as "exotic" as her.

947145c12cc1c4d7e0c1c7f9d7dc0c1c.jpg

1 hour ago, Buffy said:

She was gorgeous in Season 5. She had the best hair that season too!! It was soooo radiant!! I wonder what product she used and why she stopped using it after that season???

tumblr_mh9e4wbyPm1reop97o1_250.gif
5674439cc57fdaf7b97d572aa58d3de278b2c736

29e8373abe3b222a16ce8f3408227c36e65ddb52

These are extensions just like her hair in I Know What You Did Last Summer. 

Buffy
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

SMG was not a major actress in the 90s in movies and not really on TV. She was a big teen idol who had facial and even name recognition thanks to Buffy. Although it was on small TV networks (the WB, UPN) and didn't get high viewership, it was recognizable in the media and so she was she. She had some success in movies, but in supporting roles in blockbusters (Scream 2, IKWYDLS, Scooby Doo movies) as well as a teen movie (Cruel Intentions) and finally the lead role The Grudge, but it would have been a success without her like The Ring. Simply Irresistible was not a hit.

Also, her career didn't slow down because she didn't want to act as much. She tried transitioning into movies after Buffy ended, but didn't see any success besides The Grudge. All the other movies she was flopped or were straight-to-video (The Air I Breathe, The Return, Suburban Girl, Veronika Decides to Die, Southland Tales, Possession, Happily N'Ever After). She then tried to return to television, but didn't see success there either (The Wonderful Maladys, Ringer, The Crazy Ones, Cruel Intentions).

What! Seriously? She wore extensions the entire 5th season? No wonder it looked so good.....

PMKARDASHIAN
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

This absolute skull drag for recalling my childhood fave through rose colored glasses :chick3:

She might not have been top billed in S2, IKWYDLS, SD, but she was highly prominent in pop culture at the time and she is very much a part of cinematic and cult classics idc idc 

StrangerInTheDark
1 hour ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

I think the biggest problem was TV actress stigma that was big back in the day. Today there is no difference between movie actors and TV actors, they can cross over easily. Back in the day tv actor was not really respected in movie scene.

Hyper_Intake
Posted (edited)

Pretty sure Buffy and her TV career in general is the biggest reason she didn't find success on the big screen. She had rejected roles in Romeo and Juliet,  Gangs of New York and Clueless because of TV filming commitments. After Buffy, poor decisions plus wanting to settle with a family led to her becoming quieter in hollywood. 

Still her legacy from Buffy will live on and shes still one of the most underrated actresses out there. Plus she has one of the few longstanding healthy marriages to come from Hollywood so lets celebrate that! 

Edited by Hyper_Intake

RULES
12 minutes ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

This absolute skull drag for recalling my childhood fave through rose colored glasses :chick3:

She might not have been top billed in S2, IKWYDLS, SD, but she was highly prominent in pop culture at the time and she is very much a part of cinematic and cult classics idc idc 

Half of what he said is simply not true. She was pretty huge in the 90s and Buffy did have amazing viewers up until season 5 at least. You can’t speak about the 90s without including her.

Also after the grudge she wasn’t really trying for mainstream career because of wanting to start a family she picked Low profile roles because of this not because she wanted to flop. She was offered pretty big roles through out her career but unfortunately had to turn it down because of filming Buffy.

This person tried to downgrade her career and position in tv & film but anyone who was old enough to remember her in the 90s knew she was a big star.

When Buffy was on its final season and her contract was done they pretty much begged her to do another season even offered to pay her double of what she was making yet she turn it down.

RULES
2 minutes ago, Hyper_Intake said:

She had rejected roles in Romeo and Juliet,  Gangs of New York and Clueless because of TV filming commitments.

Thank You! She was in demand & was in the position to say no to roles. Let’s not forget she also had a “Emmy” win before Buffy. 

She was also a cover girl model and had great endorsements! She was also a guest star on sex and the city! Unfortunately once again couldn’t take a larger role because of Buffy. 

In a way Buffy stopped her from doing a lot of things but the Opportunities were pretty much thrown at her. She’s was far from just a teen actress. 

Inverted
29 minutes ago, Buffy said:

What! Seriously? She wore extensions the entire 5th season? No wonder it looked so good.....

No, she had extensions in the beginning of the season because still retained her Harvard Man look. As the season progressed, she moved back to her natural look because her hair was thinner and her skin was less brown/bronze.

26 minutes ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

She was definitely a recognizable star in the late 90s had impact in pop culture. You don't need to have a lot of commercial success to be remembered just like how many of the most remembered songs weren't even big hits./

9 minutes ago, Hyper_Intake said:

Pretty sure Buffy and her TV career in general is the biggest reason she didn't find success on the big screen. She had rejected roles in Romeo and Juliet,  Gangs of New York and Clueless because of TV filming commitments. After Buffy, poor decisions plus wanting to settle with a family led to her becoming quieter in hollywood. 

Still her legacy from Buffy will live on and shes still one of the most underrated actresses out there. Plus she has one of the few longstanding healthy marriages to come from Hollywood so lets celebrate that! 

I don't know how accurate that is, but I agree with the rest. A lot of Buffy fans dragged her when the show aired because she and Joss supposedly had a disagreement about her contribution because she believed she deserved credit for the show's quality and success too.

In retrospect, I agree with her. There's always a difference between Buffy and Joss' other work. They never have an actor who carries the show or movie the way SMG did. Objectively, I honestly think Angel was a better show overall story-wise, but Buffy remains more memorable to me because the lead actor is better. During the Buffy-Angel crossover where Buffy goes to LA to confront Faith, there's a clear difference in the acting skill in the scene with Sarah, David and Eliza. They were amateurs next to her. :rip: 

8 minutes ago, RULES said:

Half of what he said is simply not true. She was pretty huge in the 90s and Buffy did have amazing viewers up until season 5 at least. You can’t speak about the 90s without including her.

Also after the grudge she wasn’t really trying for mainstream career because of wanting to start a family she picked Low profile roles because of this not because she wanted to flop. She was offered pretty big roles through out her career but unfortunately had to turn it down because of filming Buffy.

This person tried to downgrade her career and position in tv & film but anyone who was old enough to remember her in the 90s knew she was a big star.

When Buffy was on its final season and her contract was done they pretty much begged her to do another season even offered to pay her double of what she was making yet she turn it down.

Everything I said was true. On the other hand, your post has a lot of misinformation:

1. Buffy never had "amazing viewers." The show aired on the WB and UPN, which weren't big networks. Buffy helped put the WB on the map, but it wasn't getting ratings of actual hit shows like ER or Friends, which were getting 20-30 million viewers weekly. It was doing well for a small, niche network getting 4-6 million viewers on average. And "until season 5 at least" is false also. Ratings actually went up because of the hype of the UPN move initially (and then they went down again).
  2. After The Grudge, she appeared in many movies, but they were straight-to-DVD flops. They were not "low profile roles." She signed to a movie with The Rock and Alec Baldwin, but they just weren't successful. Suburban Girl was expected to be released in theaters and was based on a well-received book, but it just wasn't picked up by a studio for theater release.
  3. There is no evidence that she was directly offered lead roles in big movies. "Being considered" is not an offer.
  4. I think you mean diminish, not downgrade. I was born in 88 and I'm probably older than you. I remember the 90s well and followed SMG's career.
  5. She was not begged to do another season of Buffy. UPN was not going to renew the contract

She was a recognizable teen idol, but not a big, mainstream star. Your whole post is historical revision.

Inverted
26 minutes ago, RULES said:

Thank You! She was in demand & was in the position to say no to roles. Let’s not forget she also had a “Emmy” win before Buffy. 

She was also a cover girl model and had great endorsements! She was also a guest star on sex and the city! Unfortunately once again couldn’t take a larger role because of Buffy. 

In a way Buffy stopped her from doing a lot of things but the Opportunities were pretty much thrown at her. She’s was far from just a teen actress. 

:rip:

• She won a Daytime Emmy, not an actual Emmy. And she won in a category for teen-child actors.
  • She was a spokesmodel for Maybelline, not Covergirl.
  • A lot of people guest starred on Sex and the City. :rip:
  • There is no evidence she was offered other roles. Maybe offered to audition, but that's it.
  • She was definitely a teen idol, not a mainstream huge actress. You're making it seem as if she was Jennifer Aniston or Neve Campbell. :rip: 

RULES
34 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Buffy never had "amazing viewers." The show aired on the WB and UPN, which weren't big networks. Buffy helped put the WB on the map, but it wasn't getting ratings of actual hit shows like ER or Friends, which were getting 20-30 million viewers weekly

Nobody said Buffy was getting ER rating. I said Buffy was getting amazing viewers to go on for 7 seasons which is a fact. 

35 minutes ago, Inverted said:

After The Grudge, she appeared in many movies, but they were straight-to-DVD flops. They were not "low profile roles."

It’s very obvious by her script choices that she didn’t want to be this huge movie star. You do realize she chooses her roles right? She was still popular at the time she could have been in bigger films. She had a amazing resume. She wanted a low profile career to start a family she has even said this.

38 minutes ago, Inverted said:

There is no evidence that she was directly offered lead roles in big movies. "Being considered" is not an offer

Reading comprehension. I said she was offered big roles didn’t say anything about leading roles. She did a lot of supporting roles because of Buffy getting in the way.

38 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think you mean diminish, not downgrade. I was born in 88 and I'm probably older than you. I remember the 90s well and followed SMG's career.

Really unsure why you would assume you’re older than me but you been just making things up this whole time so wouldn’t be anything new. I have followed her career as well.

40 minutes ago, Inverted said:

She was not begged to do another season of Buffy. UPN was not going to renew the contract

This is simply not true. The brand Buffy was still bringing in money for the network even with low rating. Joss had season 8 & 9 planned out but it was Sarah who wanted to move on. The network offered her many deals but she stated that being Buffy was too draining on her body. 

feelslikeadream

Wow, the essays I just read about her career in here. Y'all should get together and pen an unofficial biography of SMG :clap3:

Either way, even if she didn't end up being a huge movie star and even if the Buffy filming schedule limited her chances to find work in film, I'm sure she's fine with having been the star of one of the most iconic shows of all time (and the best show of all time, imo :fan:).