Genius1111

Holocaust survivor seeks compensation from German rail& govt

TomTom2288
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Watson! said:

Well I don't know about Poland. But I am 100% about Greece and even German parliament committee has accepted it.

The Scientific Service of the Bundestag writes in a report that Poland is not entitled to reparations and that the question whether Greece is entitled to reparations is unclear. They don't accept the Greek reparation claims, they write that the German rejections is a possible interpretation just like the Greek reparation demands may be justified. That sounds like an incentive for Greece to sue Germany, but they haven't done that yet either.

https://www.bundestag.de/resource/blob/650668/dd328b0a05061b21190b2359d7853536/WD-2-066-19-pdf-data.pdf

Edited by TomTom2288

éclat

Strip them for all they’re worth :clap3:

Horizon Flame
On 8/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, WhoWho said:

I'm really sorry for this man. But I don't believe in repatriations or collective responsibility. Modern Germany should not be blamed for the crimes of the previous leaders, at this point this is a different country with radically different system of beliefs, therefore they don't have to pay any sort of compensations for Nazi crimes.

Germany has a responsibility to victims of the Holocaust. Periodt. What is this "modern Germany" nonsense? The Holocaust wasn't even a century ago. 

Horizon Flame
7 hours ago, getinthezone said:

When will Americans and Israelis pay for what they did in the middle east?

And here comes our resident antisemite. 

stevyy

In my opinion... every surviving Holocaust victim... should get a monthly pension by the German government as some sort of "reparation". I'm not sure how many Holocaust survivors are still alive? The number may be less than 1 million globally... something like what I'm proposing should have been established in 1949 when Germany was re-established as a country so more survivors could have benefitted from that. 

I want to also address the issue of modern day war-reparations as claimed by Greece and Poland.

The sums that are requested today are not monetarily possible for a single-nation-state to pay. The number claimed by Poland varies between $800 billion to $1,1 trillion... Greece's number varies between $200 billion to $250 billion. I'm sure there are other countries that would come forward.... if Germany had to pay these 2 countries, like Estonia, Ukraine, Hungary, Czechia etc.

What would happen is that the economy of Germany would collapse because it would not be able to lend that much money or to actively pay the sum, unless it would be payed over a period of 100 - 150 years in smaller yearly sums. 

Reparation claims like these would not only destroy the German economy, it would make the Euro currency disappear, push France, Italy and Spain into bankruptcy with Germany and would most likely dissolve European integration. All of this would indefinitely also hurt Poland and Greece as European trade would completely crumble with the 4 largest economies taken out.

The guilt-debate:

My mother's father was born and raised Pomerania... and was expelled from his home after the war when Prussian territory was given to Poland. Over 12 million "East Germans" were expelled from their homes - probably rightfully so - however, this can be interpreted as some sort of punishment as well. 

German assets, rivers, coal and steel industries, scientists and patents were given to the victors. Germany was partitioned and occupied for decades. This was also a fair punishment.

Now let me come to the guilt debate: I do not believe that anyone under the age of 18 was guilty of helping Hitler come to power in the Weimar Republic (1932). If you couldn't vote for the man... than you political views as a teenager - whatever they might have been - were not really important in a political way. 

People who supported Hitler and who committed crimes have at large already died. But when we say that children, grand-children and great-grand-children have to pay for their ancestors crimes then I don't understand why this approach isn't universally applied to any country? And doesn't that open the door to the Nazi-scheme of "Sippenhaft" which means that an entire family / group of people is blamed for the crimes of an individual? Isn't that like... punishing the brothers, sisters, parents, uncles, nieces and nephews of someone who committed a crime against judiciary practice in a democratic state? I believe that the charta of human rights explicitly forbits "Sippenhaft" and it might even be against international law to punish modern-day German citizens for crimes that they have not done themselves. Also ... what even is a German citizen? Who would need to pay what and to whom? There are around 84 million people in Germany... 70 million native Germans, people with German passports from the former Eastern territories, people from Russia, 3rd generation German-Turks... I mean should nationalized children of refugees and guest workers also pay? Or is it a generational thing in which your family tree decides how guilty you are?

What about Austria? Many people see Austria as a victim of Naziism as well, despite the country becoming a German territory... it even had soldiers fighting for the proto-German army. If we can accept the entirety of Austria being a victim of Germany... then we cannot generally claim all Germans who were alive between 1870 - 1945 to be all criminals. I want to emphasize that Hitler .... never got the majority of the vote in 1933 (when the last democratic election was held in the Weimar Republic). He received 43,9% despite his practice of intimidation. Before that in 1932 during the 2nd to last election of the Republic, he even only received 33%. Which in turn means that between 55-65% of Germany did not even vote for the man and yet helped him to get into office? It seems fishy.

In conclusion:

.- The guilt debate is very difficult to have because the number of people who actively participated in the atrocities have died and it's against the rule of law to practice "Sippenhaft"

.- Holocaust survivors should always get compensations like a monthly pension (and if possible, their possessions returned... like art)

.- Poland's and Greece's reparation claims would be the end of Germany, the Euro and Europe and therefore ridiculous. The sum must be smaller or implemented in a plan of 100 to 150 years... however, try to explain someone born in 2100 why he has to pay for something which happend in 1939-45.

LoveMe_HateMe

I feel like Germany did more than enough already.