Ferret

Is Katy an Icon?

RULES

For the people saying only for the 10s or this date to this date

It’s either you ARE or ARENT a icon...

It doesn’t go away just because the artist isn’t popular anymore....

worldwide angel

yes? 

and you can’t take icon status away 

2AM
2 hours ago, XtinaPetras said:

She was definitely the it girl for a long time, but she really only had 1 massive era which was Teenage Dream

Maybe a radio hit icon? But aside from that, I don't know that she has resspect from the industry or is known for her artistry, or has had much cultural impact beyond radio success 

Maybe if she has another massively successful era where she rebrands herself. Being successful and famous is not the same as being an icon. 

This is really rich coming from a Xtina stan, no shade.

One of the Boys and Prism were both huge eras too, albeit not as big as Teenage Dream but very few pop albums are. 
Cultural impact? 
Katy Perry WAS pop culture from 2008-2014. 

To the topic of the thread, she obviously is. 
She was a solidified pop icon by 2012 when TD was re-released. 

DoubleRainbow!

Why would you even ask that question 

RULES
46 minutes ago, 2AM said:

This is really rich coming from a Xtina stan,

Lmfao. This made me giggle because i would love to know how this is rich? 

BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

Sadly no

20200709_114221.thumb.png.cba75ab013f348

Bimbo

Let’s just say she’s great for a throwback!

2AM
58 minutes ago, RULES said:

Lmfao. This made me giggle because i would love to know how this is rich? 

Because going by those standard Xtina only really has one massive era. :lmao: 

Genio

Clearly. I see her in the same league as Xtina and J-Lo: huge stars in their primes that lasted (their prime) around 5-6 years and they were so big at that time period that they solified their pop icon status, despite of several underperformances later on.

She can never have a single charting on the Hot 100 again (doubtful, she will most definitely get more hits in the future) but Katy Perry will always be a pop icon. She will always be remembered and have iconic hits to look back to. She's set for life and her catalog will always give her good coins. 

With that said, it's never really over truly. This era might not be her strongest, but she still has the chance to catch some hits here and there in the future, her name alone will always have enough people checking her stuff out, it only needs one song to click with the GP. Just look at NRO being a decent sized hit, the Never Worn White video having over 10 million clicks and Daisies debuting in the Top 40. People clearly still check her out, she just needs something to click. 

RULES
39 minutes ago, 2AM said:

Because going by those standard Xtina only really has one massive era. :lmao: 

That’s not true at all.

I am not exactly sure if Katy is a iconic or not but there’s zero debate on Christina place and staus in pop culture. I’m sorry but they are not compatible or even can be compared. It’s insulating.

Christina has respect in the music industry. Christina inspired a whole generation. 
Christina has contribute greatly visually, culturally & artistically to music.

Christina actually has Grammys ..... 💀 

Edited by RULES

RULES
5 minutes ago, Genio said:

Clearly. I see her in the same league as Xtina and J-Lo: huge stars in their primes that lasted (their prime) around 5-6 years

Both Jennifer & Xtina lasted longer than 5-6 years......

However I do see Katy, Xtina and Jennifer as icons.

Genio
Just now, RULES said:

Both Jennifer & Xtina lasted longer than 5-6 years......

However I do see Katy, Xtina and Jennifer as icons.

They have, of course but their huge pop star peaks were "only" 5-7 years long and that is a fact.  It just means eras with no underperformances, being at their peak, everything they release turn into a hit etc. 

Xtina from debut till B2B (1999-2006)

J-Lo from debut till rebirth (1999 - 2005) 

that doesn't mean they never got successful again, Xtina had MLJ, J-Lo had OTF etc. and I didn't say that to discredit them, a successful career for 5-6 years is a great achievement.

XtinaPetras
52 minutes ago, Genio said:

They have, of course but their huge pop star peaks were "only" 5-7 years long and that is a fact.  It just means eras with no underperformances, being at their peak, everything they release turn into a hit etc. 

Xtina from debut till B2B (1999-2006)

J-Lo from debut till rebirth (1999 - 2005) 

that doesn't mean they never got successful again, Xtina had MLJ, J-Lo had OTF etc. and I didn't say that to discredit them, a successful career for 5-6 years is a great achievement.

Don't even put J.Lo and Christina in the same league. Xtina has J.Lo's commercial success and name recognition. The difference is if you google "best singers of all time" Christina will be one of the first to pop up and J.Lo will not be found in such a list. The difference is Grammys and Latin American Grammys. The difference is how often X is asked to perform tributes at high profile events. The difference is having #1 hits across 3 decades... and there's a lot more I could say but Katy says it pretty well. 

Genio
1 minute ago, XtinaPetras said:

Xtina has J.Lo's commercial success and name recognition

Exactly why I put her in the same league and why it makes her a "pop icon" like J-Lo :deadbanana4: My post isn't about who is better and more talented, it's simply about who is a pop icon and why Katy is there as well. 

XtinaPetras
2 minutes ago, Genio said:

Exactly why I put her in the same league and why it makes her a "pop icon" like J-Lo :deadbanana4: My post isn't about who is better and more talented, it's simply about who is a pop icon and why Katy is there as well. 

Exactly what I said the problem is. You missed the whole point. :coffee2:

2AM
1 hour ago, RULES said:

That’s not true at all.

I am not exactly sure if Katy is a iconic or not but there’s zero debate on Christina place and staus in pop culture. I’m sorry but they are not compatible or even can be compared. It’s insulating.

Christina has respect in the music industry. Christina inspired a whole generation. 
Christina has contribute greatly visually, culturally & artistically to music.

Christina actually has Grammys ..... 💀 

:ahh: 

RULES
40 minutes ago, XtinaPetras said:

Don't even put J.Lo and Christina in the same league. Xtina has J.Lo's commercial success and name recognition. The difference is if you google "best singers of all time" Christina will be one of the first to pop up and J.Lo will not be found in such a list. The difference is Grammys and Latin American Grammys. The difference is how often X is asked to perform tributes at high profile events. The difference is having #1 hits across 3 decades... and there's a lot more I could say but Katy says it pretty well. 

@2AM

HONEY YOU SHOULD BE LAUGHING AT THIS 💀.

NOOOOOOO! Not there being a video of the person you’re defending going against what YOUR SAYING lmfao. And saying Xtina is a iconic.

”When you think about icon don’t think about me” lmfao .

IM SCREAMING!! lol

2AM
7 minutes ago, RULES said:

@2AM

HONEY YOU SHOULD BE LAUGHING AT THIS 💀.

NOOOOOOO! Not there being a video of the person you’re defending going against what YOUR SAYING lmfao. And saying Xtina is a iconic.

”When you think about icon don’t think about me” lmfao .

IM SCREAMING!! lol

I never said Christina wasn’t an icon though. :ahh: 
Doesn’t change the fact that Teenage Dream is bigger than any Christina era. :sorry: 

Edited by 2AM

RULES
2 minutes ago, 2AM said:

I never said Christina wasn’t an icon though. :ahh: 

Whew the point continues to go over your head. She literally said “don’t think of me when you think icon” and pointed at another more talented pop star.

And you have implied that Xtina isn’t a icon. I understand why you would play dumb since this situation is embarrassing for you.

Edited by RULES

2AM
Just now, RULES said:

Whew the point continues to go over your head. She literally said “don’t think of me when you think icon” and pointed at another more talented pop star.

And you have implied that Xtina isn’t a icon. I understand why you would play dumb since this situation is embarrassing for you.

Do you not understand she was being humble? 
Embarrassing for me? Girl Teenage Dream alone is bigger and more iconic than anything Christina has ever done.

I’m just fine, unlike you who clearly feels triggered  :sistrens: 

RULES
11 minutes ago, 2AM said:

Teenage Dream alone is bigger and more iconic than anything Christina has ever done.

You think so? Humble & Honest sweetie.

Katy Perry doesn’t think so in fact she doesn’t think she’s a icon. She thinks Christina  Aguilera is though. 

Edited by RULES

2AM
1 hour ago, RULES said:

You think so? Humble & Honest sweetie.

Katy Perry doesn’t think so in fact she doesn’t think she’s a icon. She thinks Christina  Aguilera is though. 

I know so, it’s a fact. 
Katy Perry was telling people don’t think of her as an icon, but Xtina. Probably the first many people have seen her in years, that’s assuming they knew who Katy was showing. :heart2: 

ifeelitboy

What kind of silly question is this? Get a life & stop embarrassing yourself. Some ATRLers wants to shade Katy so bad & it’s not looking good, rather than making yourself looking like a fool.

Edited by ifeelitboy

RULES
3 hours ago, 2AM said:

I know so, it’s a fact. 
Katy Perry was telling people don’t think of her as an icon, but Xtina. Probably the first many people have seen her in years, that’s assuming they knew who Katy was showing. :heart2: 

Then you woke up sweetie. ♥️ 

Karla Cabello

yes

IMG_20200731_203239.thumb.jpg.88ae784995