Ferret

Is Katy an Icon?

Ferret

Despite recent underperformances?

is she already a household name?

MusicTalker

She is an icon for 2008-2014 no matter what has happened or happens with her career from 2015-future. 2008-2014 was an impeccable (and long) stretch of record-breaking success

Valentine
Posted (edited)

what type of dumb ass question is that

obviously yes

Edited by Valentine

Kavish

She was in the early 2010s.  :clown:

TMZ

ive to say yes despite all the lack of effort musically recently (love the quarantine attempts and all tho) even people on streets know her name here i wonder how that happened 

Click Clack

Obviously 

Kaw

yes .. as far as I know in my country there are still many people who know who Katy Perry is

Young In Love

yes

Russell22

Yes

lcylcy

I'm not disagreeing but what kind of icon is she?

Mr. Stratus

OK no shade but past having some hits back in the day for a few years, what else has contributed to her being an icon? To be an icon you have to carve out a lengthy career with different avenues and achievements. She could've been like Rihanna, however, she couldn't keep the GP appeal going. So now I guess she'll be forgotten, and that's a shame. 

slw84
1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Despite recent underperformances?

is she already a household name?

Undeniable icon

Never a legend but undeniable icon for the moment :clap3:

slw84
6 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

OK no shade but past having some hits back in the day for a few years, what else has contributed to her being an icon? To be an icon you have to carve out a lengthy career with different avenues and achievements. She could've been like Rihanna, however, she couldn't keep the GP appeal going. So now I guess she'll be forgotten, and that's a shame. 

no you don't gaga stan.

Icons can be for a moment or for long term.

Katy is an undeniable icon for the 2010s era.

She will never be a legend. She doesn't check any box for legendary status (overall music, genre of music pop culture, entertainment)

Overall music - icon

Pop music - iconic

pop culture - superstar

entertainment - star

People will forever remember I kissed a girl, hot n cold, teenage dream era, roar and dark horse.

She had a campy look but nothing too signature other than the dark hair.

She will be remembered as a juggernaut of the 2010s.

KatyMyLady

It’s so sad how people want to discredit her. Yes. She’s one of the most successful recording artists of all time, and has many records that will likely never be beaten. 

she still has a huge fanbase, she’s just not the hottest star in the world at the moment. And that’s ok! 

Even look at Gen Z kids, so many of her decade plus old hits are so well loved as iconic classics that continue to be loved and enjoyed. 

she’s timeless. Let’s just enjoy her where she’s at now imo 

Benghazi82

A 2010s icon, yes. 

Chainsmoker

Yes tbh. 
She won’t be a legend but she’s definitely an icon. 

Madame X

Sure I’ll give her that 

Sanctuary

Nope! That was easy :)

Enzolorenzo
Posted (edited)

Yes. Teenage Dream era alone gave her that status imo. Also the fact that she’s in a career low at the moment and her greatest hits are still remembered proves that she is one 

Edited by Enzolorenzo

Tistotal

yes :heart:

XtinaPetras

She was definitely the it girl for a long time, but she really only had 1 massive era which was Teenage Dream

Maybe a radio hit icon? But aside from that, I don't know that she has resspect from the industry or is known for her artistry, or has had much cultural impact beyond radio success 

Maybe if she has another massively successful era where she rebrands herself. Being successful and famous is not the same as being an icon. 

StonedSoulPicnic

Yes.

Havoc

Nope. She is not really known or praised or anything in particular. 

Erreur2 La Nature

Katy isn't a legend nor a has-been nor a nobody.

She has been huge, she's known by everyone. She isn't doing well anymore because her image is bad right now and her team doesn't do anything about it. The music really isn't the issue. She has been successful, loved, has got tons of big hits and definitely is an icon.

MusicTalker
1 hour ago, lcylcy said:

I'm not disagreeing but what kind of icon is she?

Her music is a great time capsule of the late 00's and early-mid 10's in pop music. That may come off as shade, but it's a big compliment imo, to so distinctly capture a point in time in history for what kind of music the GP liked "back then". The common comparison of her is made to Paula or Cyndi, and I think it's true; they may not have sustained massive success forever after the 80s, but when you think 80s pop, those names very often come up. Katy's name will undoubtedly come up when people think of 2010's pop.

In terms of what sound and image she'll be remembered for: bright, campy, colorful, bubbly feel good pop music. She may not have been the most innovative popstar but her music was the soundtrack to a lot of good times. We need musicians who serve that purpose - otherwise where is the fun?