Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

stevyy

Mariah's eights release, in 1998, sold 16 million units... and debuted with 1,040,000 in its first week in Japan. 

To be even compared to such legends as MJ and Madonna... you really need to be the alpha. Maybe she is that... but I think that Adele is the real alpha in regards to female icons.

MingYouToo
4 hours ago, Brando said:

Taylor will always be revered for her songwriting, a-la Joni Mitchell.

Every artist is different. ATRL loves to compare every popgirl career trajectory to Madonna's. But it's just not happening. 

THIS

The gays in here expecting Taylor to bust out Britney Onyx World Tour level choreo or cone boobs to consider her a legend :toofunny2:

The fact that she's legendary for being a singer who WRITES her own songs is already extremely credible in its own way.

slw84
2 hours ago, Michael196 said:

not you trying to slip the 2/3 era wonders here lol, Mariah and Eminem are understandable and Adele because she made a mark no one will ever touch, and Bey to a certain point tho she's way behind but the rest.... :priceless:

Ok I can remove gaga:gaycat2:

*-ChriZ-*
2 hours ago, Artistofthedecade said:

I highly doubt about that 

Yes, she already sold more than Dolly without 50 studio album. And unlike Dolly, she is a force outside of US as well. 

Sales do not equate a legendary status, or would u argue Bob Marley is not a legend but Taylor is because she sold wayy more than him? 

brenda-walsh

Like many others in here have said, she has the stats but no real impact

There's more than just sales, and everyone but the Swifties realize that :foxaylove3:

CitizenX

She can't hold a candle to Madonna, so thank u next:coffee2:

DatChickDoe
8 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Garth brooks' aoty noms: n/a.

Guess they're not equal.

Sales speak louder than an album of the year award. If it wasn’t for Garth and Reba and Scott - she never would’ve gotten to where she is today.

It is not about where people are in the present it is the journey that got them there. People make mistakes, learn and grow. Even racists. 

DatChickDoe
8 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Garth brooks' aoty noms: n/a.

Guess they're not equal.

Sales speak louder than an album of the year award. If it wasn’t for Garth and Reba and Scott - she never would’ve gotten to where she is today.

It is not about where people are in the present it is the journey that got them there. People make mistakes, learn and grow. Even racists. 

MusicBiz234
12 hours ago, slw84 said:

THis is a fraudulent statement. 

Mariah Carey, Britney, Eminem, Beyonce, Adele, Bieber and gaga but Taylor is consistent seller and has a strong brand.

her pop culture reach isn't bigger but she makes great pop music for a big base and is consistently serving adequate/good bops.

???????

Especially dead at Bieber and Gaga.

Beyonce's cultural impact is unmatched. But the post was commenting that she is the biggest pop star since madonna and mj.

M A R C

She has the album sales + touring but thats it, culturally she doesn't have the presence and innovation like MJ and Madonna did.

Madonna and MJ helped crafted and shaped the meaning of a pop star, and they influenced generations of artists.

Years from now i don't think we'll be saying the same about Taylor paving the way or opening new doors. :rip:

M A R C
12 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

WHAT? :bibliahh:

Michael and Madonna were more than just sales. They were incredible performers, icons, musicians, who were innovators and visionaries. They molded their craft perfectly. 

Demographics play a big part too. Michael, Madonna, Prince, Whitney, etc. were universally loved by everyone. You’re not going to see the black community, or any minority community of that matter, care about her or her music. You’re not. We might hear ha on the radio but we sure not lifting her on a pedestal or praising her as if she’s done anything extraordinary. 

Taylor is on the same playing field as Ed Sheeran and that’s where she’ll stay.

Those legends were truly in demand EVERYWHERE. Has sissy even toured every continent yet? :rip: 

BlueTimberwolf
7 hours ago, Ressti said:

Not in the slightest. She doesnt challenge any school of thought, so she doesnt inspire fanaticism on that level. However, she is incredibly marketable, probably more so for that very reason.

This. The reason is she is so family friendly is becuase she doesn't challenge conventions, or zig where you expect her to zag. 90% of her discorgaphy  is sacchrine love songs, just like Celine Dion.  

Mandalay

She has surpassed Madonna in the US. I'm not sure about MJ.

Posted (edited)

Taylor’s power is similar to theirs, that’s why everyone is mad :fan:

Edited by 1989

filmman
Posted (edited)

the op is talking about albums success so yes she can be bigger, 7 pages with people discussing over a fact :rip: 

Edited by filmman

Don't Stop Me Now

This generation is so disrespectful to legends.:rip: I will not disrespect Taylor, but sheesh.:deadbanana2:

karmina

Taylor may have the popularity , but no. Gaga’s artristy is bigger than Taylor.

Bey_Rihstan
2 hours ago, MusicBiz234 said:

???????

Beyonce's cultural impact is unmatched. But the post was commenting that she is the biggest pop star since madonna and mj.

She can't be the biggest "since" if a slew of huge pop stars happened in between her and MJ/Madonna. I think that's their point

bluebirdsforever

:toofunny2:

bestfiction

I don't think we'll get anyone near Madonna/MJ level but Taylor is definitely a legend in the making 

TheRealGâteau

Limiting MJ's and M's success to record sales or even touring stats only and comparing them to other artists is dumb. With all due respect, Taylor is currently nowhere near MJ's or M's cultural impact. 

kibo
16 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

Girl, bye. How you’re going to tell me what and who our culture listens to or not? Stay in your place.

If you don’t crossover to all demographics, that’s including black people, you’re not going to be anywhere near Michael or Madonna’s status. Period.

sis do you study? :skull: if you're on college level or above you should've known that argument should be followed by data to prove :skull: 

kibo

anyways this is actually an interesting topic. A cute study about pop culture for the gays :gaycat5:

-

It's quite hard to tell knowing they're from different age. straight up comparing their sales without any conversion isn't valid. 

and not yall talking about impact while having different perspective about what impact is:skull: Billions people in the world and not all of them are stan, gays, pop culture enthusiasm whatsoever and that's a fact. Most of us gays, define impact as something related to controversial, fashion, or particular event that supposed to shock entertainment industry:skull: that's why when we're talking about figures with impact, lady gaga, madonna, britney, beyonce come to mind first. but you know what impact is widely defined by lots of people from different cultures, countries, ages or even jobs. with that being said, yall gays need too step up and see from others' glasses. not even a bieber fan but he has impact with Sorry, PSY with Gangnam Style, K-pop as a whole idea and Taylor has it too with the lyrics, i hate to say this her dating scandals etc etc. 

But you know what, im actually interesting with this kind of subject but i guess this is not the right place to actually study about it. the insights in here are pretty much biased. Well it's a pop forum after all:clown: 

stevyy
4 hours ago, Mandalay said:

She has surpassed Madonna in the US. I'm not sure about MJ.

yeah right. Madonna has sold close to 80 million albums in the US... (she is under-certified). Madonna is still the alpha female pop legend. Nothing Taylor will or can do, will ever bring her closer to the blueprint that is Madonna. 

slw84
6 hours ago, MusicBiz234 said:

???????

Go away from me with this, Apollo.

Don't conflate not selling as much as she should given her talent as cultural impact.

many on that list i gave had more cultural impact as well as sales and I'm not sure what point you are making since my point included Beyonce since the poster said Taylor since Madonna/MJ when that's not true. But Taylor is a juggernaut