Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

DatChickDoe

Taylor is more in line with Garth Brooks. He was big because he was excellent at marketing with minimal vocal talent - he surrounded himself in walls of sound to cover up things and had he failed as a country singer he’d have been a good jingle singer. 

His vocal skills improved as hers did when they learned new skill sets in music. She’s a genius composer - I would say she has the potential to be what Diane Warren was where everyone wants to record their music. Even Carole King maybe.

Lover suggested a new depth that folklore contributed to explore 

alejandreaux
1 hour ago, jpow said:

No.

There is a second tier of artists underneath the absolute legends.  Beyonce, Adele, Taylor, Gaga, Rihanna, Britney, etc.

Eventually in the future if they have outlasting impact beyond sales, they will join the legends group.  At the moment, it looks like Beyonce (impact on black culture, the surprise release Taylor just copied, etc) and Gaga (going back into elaborate music videos, live performances, and costumes) will join that group.  Adele will join if she can bring us one to two more eras of absolute domination like she has done in 21 and 25.  I am not sure what Taylor's long lasting impact would be? 

if you’re using Adele’s domination with her sales as evidence of her outlasting impact then why can’t we use Taylor’s, since she’s maintained it for a decade now? Not necessarily saying your comparison is wrong but I’m just confused at that part of it. 

LikeaRebel

Maybe in the US. Globally no.

wanderlust

nana mouskouri sold many albums as well. doesn't make her bigger or as big. 

Feanor

In the US she has already passed Madonna, and might as well pass MJ when all is over.

CovalentBondage

Sales does not equal talent or quality.

SeeingStars1515

TS has had very little cultural impact. She is the pop star of the moment - I'll give her that, and if she continues down the Folklore road, she can perhaps have a better legacy. I know many people who like TS, she makes smart pop - but dont necessarily take her artistry super serious (at least until Folklore)

tiagol88

Imagine comparing Taylor with people that shaped an industry and outside of it such as MJ and Madonna.

It's not even fair. While Taylor made a career out of doing what everyone expected her to do and being a good girl, Madonna did the opposite. Sales were always on her mind and her goal was always to do what would give her that. Madonna did nothing like this. 

She changed the industry in a lot of ways Taylor can only dream, live shows, fashion industry, how a woman can be independent and be the boss in the music industry. 

When you do what Madonna does, you're always going to be a polarizing artist and have a lot of people disconnect from you...like Erotica, American Life, etc :rip:

She's a great artist but even in the USA she still lacks in a lot of ways. Her first 17 years were not even as big as Madonna's first 17 :deadbanana2:

MingYouToo

I just dont get it when stans hold Taylor to the same standards and prerequisites to become a lEgEnD in their eyes the same way MJ/Madge/Prince are.

She cant recreate a Thriller, a Blond Ambition tour, Purple Rain or a Like a Virgin because theyve already been done. Madonna is the blueprint of female dancepop and thats her impact.

The Beatles are considered legendary yet they arent what most of ATRL consider legendary (dancers, visual artists). MJ/Madonna and The Beatles have absolutely nothing in common and yet everyone will agree theyre all legends.

I'm not comparing Taylor to the Beatles but what I'm trying to say is Taylor is very much in fact a legend in the making towardd MJ/Madonna status, just with different characteristics that make her legendary. Shes the only popular female of this century to come out swinging hard for 15 years and create ALL her music, thats something almost no other legends have to their credit.

Magdalene

She has amazing sales but nowhere near the impact/ iconic moments that mj/madonna had

jpow
55 minutes ago, alejandreaux said:

if you’re using Adele’s domination with her sales as evidence of her outlasting impact then why can’t we use Taylor’s, since she’s maintained it for a decade now? Not necessarily saying your comparison is wrong but I’m just confused at that part of it. 

Because the sales of 21 and 25 far eclipse anything Taylor has done.

21 is the best selling album of the 21st century and is listed as Billboard's top album of all time.  25 sold 3.37 million copies in it's first week and is the fastest selling album of the 21st century in the US.  Taylor's highest album is still a lot at 1.28 million in a week for 1989, but is only a little over a third of what 25 did.

So if you are choosing a current artist who's sales have had the most impact, it's going to be Adele and not Taylor.

itsnickcray

She's obviously one of the most successful artists of all time but at the same time the most uneventful and vanilla one. That's why she will never be a MJ/Madonna/Britney

Edited by itsnickcray

filmman

she's bigger than both in the us

Da Vinci

Even Adele sells more than her and is way more universally loved :skull: 

Adele and Ed are also way bigger in Europe let alone MJ/Madonna/Beatles

Dopeamine

Don't make me laugh. Britney, Eminem, Adele, Beyonce, Rihanna, and Gaga have all been more powerful/influential than Taylor, so how could Taylor be similar to MJ and Madonna's level of power? 

alejandreaux
6 minutes ago, jpow said:

Because the sales of 21 and 25 far eclipse anything Taylor has done.

21 is the best selling album of the 21st century and is listed as Billboard's top album of all time.  25 sold 3.37 million copies in it's first week and is the fastest selling album of the 21st century in the US.  Taylor's highest album is still a lot at 1.28 million in a week for 1989, but is only a little over a third of what 25 did.

So if you are choosing a current artist who's sales have had the most impact, it's going to be Adele and not Taylor.

It is true that the success of 21 and 25 together far surpass anyone else from this generation, but i definitely think Taylor’s insane commercial success that she’s held for over a decade is noteworthy enough to have her in the running based on that alone.

I mean, she’s the only artist in RIAA history to have 4 albums sell over a million in the first week. And they were consecutive eras too - so that was a 7 year span of eras all with sales of over 1 million in a week, which has been unprecedented by any artist before her or of her generation. 

It’s a consistency that we’ve only seen with music’s all-time biggest artists, and I think that’s enough evidence of some type of immense influence and dominance over the music industry that would have her in the running for legend status alongside the other artists you mentioned. I feel like if we can acknowledge Adele’s insane sales stats alone, Taylor’s are worthy of acknowledgement too. 

Queenyoncee
3 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

WHAT? :bibliahh:

Michael and Madonna were more than just sales. They were incredible performers, icons, musicians, who were innovators and visionaries. They molded their craft perfectly. 

Demographics play a big part too. Michael, Madonna, Prince, Whitney, etc. were universally loved by everyone. You’re not going to see the black community, or any minority community of that matter, care about her or her music. You’re not. We might hear ha on the radio but we sure not lifting her on a pedestal or praising her as if she’s done anything extraordinary. 

Taylor is on the same playing field as Ed Sheeran and that’s where she’ll stay.

fridayteenage
1 hour ago, DatChickDoe said:

Taylor is more in line with Garth Brooks. He was big because he was excellent at marketing with minimal vocal talent - he surrounded himself in walls of sound to cover up things and had he failed as a country singer he’d have been a good jingle singer. 

Garth brooks' aoty noms: n/a.

Guess they're not equal.

Edited by fridayteenage

MESSIAH13
2 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Greatest of All Time Billboard 200 Albums by Women

2 Fearless

5 1989

9 Taylor Swift

48 True Blue

guess so.

Yet True Blue outsold those albuns(pure sales) combined (WW):fan:

Edited by MESSIAH13

Genio
2 hours ago, Artistofthedecade said:

She is pretty big in UK and Germany but ı don't think world turn around Europe either way. 

I live in Germany and this is a straight up lie lmao :skull: she is NOT big in Germany, she's on the level of Ariana and Miley. Others like Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga and Katy are miles above her here.

OT: Not in the slightest :deadbanana4: Y'all make those delusional threads and then wonder why everyone is turning against Taylor or has something negative to say, like.... :skull: 

She will become a legend, we can agree on that, but she will never be anywhere near the level of Madonna or MJ...

MESSIAH13

Also MJ and Madonna are  so much more than album sales!

And they are GLOBAL superstars

:alexz2:

Robi
4 hours ago, Link16 said:

Taylor succes with her EIGHTH album, recalls the power of Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80s and 90s. :jonny5:
EVENT after EVENT :jonny5:
Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

CROSSFIRE] Madonna V/S Robbie Williams l Resultados Finales (pág ...

Canciones de Michael Jackson - HIStory. - Wattpad

:bibliahh:And now wake up

3 hours ago, drmkng said:

lol

after mj+madonna, it's britney (bitch) and then gaga (yes I know but that's a fact) and then taylor. No one is denying taylor's success. 

Britney and Ga Ga ? In what world?

:rip:

20 minutes ago, Dopeamine said:

Don't make me laugh. Britney, Eminem, Adele, Beyonce, Rihanna, and Gaga have all been more powerful/influential than Taylor, so how could Taylor be similar to MJ and Madonna's level of power? 

Britney and Ga Ga powerful and impact ? Power?

Taylor is not even on Ed Sheeran level ...

She has huge first week sales and that would be it .... it is impressive but I would never consider her even an icon ... let alone legend on level of MJ or Madge... 

Edited by Robi

RihannaLoverrr
4 hours ago, bluth said:

gays always undersell (and misunderstand) madonna by comparing any girl with big sales to her. madonna was so much more than her sales

taylor reminds me more of someone like celine. great stats but probably won’t have the lasting influence that madonna had 

This. Like Taylor has the sales, but only that. Madonna was groundbreaking, her entire career is legendary. Taylor doesn’t have any memorable/iconic moments outside huge album sales.

Feanor
4 minutes ago, MESSIAH13 said:

And they are GLOBAL superstars

:alexz2:

How fortunate for Taylor that she is one too, in fact she’s the most global artist in the world right now :alexz2: