Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

Buffy

Bigger, much bigger. The biggest.

Link16
4 minutes ago, dabunique said:

I guess y’all forgot Rihanna 

I love her, but Rihanna don't have the albums sales and touring power.

jpow

No.

There is a second tier of artists underneath the absolute legends.  Beyonce, Adele, Taylor, Gaga, Rihanna, Britney, etc.

Eventually in the future if they have outlasting impact beyond sales, they will join the legends group.  At the moment, it looks like Beyonce (impact on black culture, the surprise release Taylor just copied, etc) and Gaga (going back into elaborate music videos, live performances, and costumes) will join that group.  Adele will join if she can bring us one to two more eras of absolute domination like she has done in 21 and 25.  I am not sure what Taylor's long lasting impact would be? 

Alongoria13

:rip: Commercially, perhaps.

Popboi.
Just now, jpow said:

Gaga (going back into elaborate music videos, live performances, and costumes) will join that group.  

What elaborate performances are you talking about? Enigma was a mess and she did 0 performances in support of Chromatica. SL and ROM were not “elaborate”, just her dancing in front of green screen, one shot on iPhone at that. The costumes are completely hit or miss, the SL video are bad, and so are everything she put on at Enigma.

-

Taylor is becoming the bonafide representation of reinvention and commercial success of this generation. :clap3: 

Xtianlofbritney

Not really

but congrats for the amazing sales

sweetkiss

no, no cultural impact, no iconic imaganery, didnt change the music scene, didnt change the way we perceive anything in the world or show business. is not even good performer. 

jpow
1 minute ago, Popboi. said:

What elaborate performances are you talking about? Enigma was a mess and she did 0 performances in support of Chromatica. SL and ROM were not “elaborate”, just her dancing in front of green screen, one shot on iPhone at that. The costumes are completely hit or miss, the SL video are bad, and so are everything she put on at Enigma.

Gaga's first few eras completely influenced how all the girls started dressing on red carpet, what their music videos have looked like, and how their live performances would be.  It's a long lasting influence on the music industry that Taylor Swift doesn't have.

coomy

Meh, the only thing Taylor got going is the sales I guess lol. Her music seems more like a business to me than culture-shifting expression that the legends that are being compared to her had. Ppl always cloud ANY major sales with impact. The fact of the matter is, sales do not automatically warrant a lasting cultural impact. I don’t think I need to point out examples, look at any top charts and you’ll find plenty. Taylor has generated many best-selling work but none of them has really impacted or shifted the pop music culture in any way. Only thing they did was getting her more coins I guess. And I don’t think folklore is going to change that especially since it’s just a carbon copy of the indie/folk formula that other girls have previously attempted.

drmkng
19 minutes ago, Link16 said:

Britney and Gaga never maintained the success of their first eras, Taylor continues to surprise in her eighth era as MJ / M

oh please, don't even

Rev8
27 minutes ago, bluth said:

taylor reminds me more of someone like celine. great stats but probably won’t have the lasting influence that madonna had 

I was actually thinking this yesterday

Taylor has some sort of influence for sure..but a lot of it is mostly giving musicians more a say in what they get etc.

u cant tell the influence as easily

a lot of stans think that success and a bit of influence is enough tho

17 minutes ago, Aqua said:

She has the sales but that’s where the similarities end.

overall this

I like Taylor and wouldn't hate on artists without a reason

but every act deemed at MJ/M level, has cons that the later 2 didn't really have (and them acts are mostly similar to eachother if anything (which is still a pretty big deal))

Taemira

only in the us

T.O.A.D.S.

Is Taylor huge in Europe? 

sweetkiss
2 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Taylor has some sort of influence for sure..

lol, yes, because world has never seen blond pop star before :dies:

sweetkiss
Just now, T.O.A.D.S. said:

nooo. omg lol. :P

Rev8
Just now, sweetkiss said:

lol, yes, because world has never seen blond pop star before :dies:

Well..u can have a different kind of influence..other than image/style nnn

35 minutes ago, slw84 said:

THis is a fraudulent statement. 

Mariah Carey, Britney, Eminem, Beyonce, Adele, Bieber and gaga but Taylor is consistent seller and has a strong brand.

the last 2 tho :eli:

sweetkiss
1 minute ago, Rev8 said:

Well..u can have a different kind of influence..other than image/style nnn

tru, kinda like iconic lyric or idk anything. she doesnt even have interview skit. so bad lol.

whitneyhoustonlegend

LOL, slow down a little, lmao.... dont fly towards the flame too fast, it will burn you....

Culturally shes not near them.... not at all.  

Yes shes bigger than Beyonces, Rihannas, Arianas, Katys, her current peers/Maybe except Adele/  etc.... but visually, revolutionary, innovative, she is not near Madonna and MJ...

Lets be real... 

Give her time, to see how her music will age, and her Legacy. Too early yet to say shes bigger than those icons.  

Edited by whitneyhoustonlegend

lcylcy

she's shaping up to be that level

she might not have the biggest peak

but her longevity as such a huge star is just incomparable in such era full of different forms of entertainment

even the career of Madonna herself arguably fail to survive this era

MJ had the all-time biggest peak in pop culture but we all know after Thriller,

he continuously went downhill commercially and critically

Edited by lcylcy

Thinking Of You

WHAT? :bibliahh:

Michael and Madonna were more than just sales. They were incredible performers, icons, musicians, who were innovators and visionaries. They molded their craft perfectly. 

Demographics play a big part too. Michael, Madonna, Prince, Whitney, etc. were universally loved by everyone. You’re not going to see the black community, or any minority community of that matter, care about her or her music. You’re not. We might hear ha on the radio but we sure not lifting her on a pedestal or praising her as if she’s done anything extraordinary. 

Taylor is on the same playing field as Ed Sheeran and that’s where she’ll stay.

Edited by Thinking Of You

Safe&Sound

She's shaping up to be on their level

I mean, even during pandemic, ppl need to access her website to buy her album, she managed to pull 844k copies. US stans her very hard

In other continents, probably she's not

But in US, you can't deny she will be down as one of the music legends, the one a grandma will tell its story to her granddaughter

Artistofthedecade
40 minutes ago, jpow said:

I am not sure what Taylor's long lasting impact would be? 

Countless new acts already stated her as their influence. I guess this will be... 

35 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

no, no cultural impact, no iconic imaganery, didnt change the music scene

Whatever makes you happy ı guess :rip:

Screenshot-20191101-163420.jpg

Screenshot-20191101-163332.jpg

Screenshot-20191101-163314.jpg

Screenshot-20200605-160100.jpg

Screenshot-20200201-173244.jpg

Screenshot-20200801-185257.jpg

29 minutes ago, T.O.A.D.S. said:

She is pretty big in UK and Germany but ı don't think world turn around Europe either way. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade

Ramirodri

the powah maybe. the talent? not in a million years.

Benghazi82

In terms of sales (relative to the market), talent, and acclaim, Taylor >>> Madonna. 

King and Queen of pop were artificial titles created during the MTV era. Madonna and MJ were the most prominent artists who used that platform. 

Now it's about streaming, youtube, digital sales, etc., and Taylor seems to be leading the pack. If Mj and Madonna were known for their music videos? Taylor is the epitome of the singer-songwriter of her generation. While her peers like Gaga and Beyonce are trying to be the Madonna/MJ of their generation, T Swift is trying to be her own.

dabunique
16 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

WHAT? :bibliahh:

Michael and Madonna were more than just sales. They were incredible performers, icons, musicians, who were innovators and visionaries. They molded their craft perfectly. 

Demographics play a big part too. Michael, Madonna, Prince, Whitney, etc. were universally loved by everyone. You’re not going to see the black community, or any minority community of that matter, care about her or her music. You’re not. We might hear ha on the radio but we sure not lifting her on a pedestal or praising her as if she’s done anything extraordinary. 

Taylor is on the same playing field as Ed Sheeran and that’s where she’ll stay.

Ugh nuttin but facts with da demographic