Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

Mandalay
Just now, C.Damen said:

Yes you do and no you can't, sir.

My previous reply was written in clear conscience. And if you reply saying it wasn't, then it won't make your relentless accusations true either. I behave better than most in your stanbase, to say the very least.

CaptainMusic
Posted (edited)

She’s bigger and more dominant than both Madonna and MJ were  in the US although MJ obviously had the biggest peak.

But she doesn’t come close globally.

Edited by CaptainMusic

brenda-walsh

Swifites claiming Taylor is more global than Madonna... I have to laugh

Mrguilbeaux

I think she’s a huge cultural force and been a central pop figure for a long time but besides being a crossover success she hasn’t really broken any barriers like the two of them did. She’s done extremely extremely well but she hasn’t forged new paths or redefined what a space could be the way they did. 

The person closest to doing that culturally is probably Beyoncé 

kayliah
On 8/1/2020 at 5:07 PM, dabunique said:

I guess y’all forgot Rihanna 

No we didn't Rihanna has no cultural impact, just a singles artist  relying on hits to stay relevant. She has never sold albums like Taylor swift nor fill out stadiums quite like her. I love Rihanna but Taylor is on the level of kings and Queens. I won't  even put even Beyoncé or Gaga in that  category.  Their popularity has lasted but not on the level of T.swift especially Gaga.

kayliah
5 hours ago, brenda-walsh said:

Swifites claiming Taylor is more global than Madonna... I have to laugh

Taylor is a legend in the USA, Australia and Asia but not in Europe like Madonna, MJ etc...

gui
Posted (edited)

I have said this before: Taylor will go down as a very successful singer-songwriter, being compared maybe to the likes of Carole King. She is a force indeed but outside of that she has nowhere the impact MJ or Madonna ever had, and even other popstars like Beyoncé, Britney and Rihanna. Girl has the numbers but this is it.

Edited by gui

collin
18 hours ago, dylanx said:

Acclaimed songwriter Taylor Swift definitely has many lyrics to write home about. Every song on Folklore is a masterclass in songwriting.

No, love. Listen to more music. :rip: 

collin
2 hours ago, kayliah said:

No we didn't Rihanna has no cultural impact, just a singles artist  relying on hits to stay relevant. She has never sold albums like Taylor swift nor fill out stadiums quite like her. I love Rihanna but Taylor is on the level of kings and Queens. I won't  even put even Beyoncé or Gaga in that  category.  Their popularity has lasted but not on the level of T.swift especially Gaga.

Rihanna definitely has had significantly more cultural impact. :rip:  The things she has done have actually changed music and consumer culture in visceral ways.

lawmak
17 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

In what way did Taylor change this industry that's comparable with Michael Jackson or Madonna? It's an honest question...i'm curious. 

She didn't. But that doesn't mean what she's doing is not remarkable. Do you have any idea what it's like to sustain a career like she is doing after 13 years? Whitney couldn't. Mariah...was not in a good place. 

All those points...and then this.:toofunny2:

The Second Coming

I guess Taylor stans are the new Beyoncé, Gaga fans... :toofunny3:

OT: she has the consistency regarding sales in the USA but lacks the WW cultural impact and star power of the other two, so obviously the only non delusional answer is no. 

Planet Mars

Denying Taylor Swift's impact and significance at this point is akin to doing the same thing for Madonna circa Ray of Light. At this point she's arguably the most successful female artist in the history of the United States music charts and the woman is just 30 years old.

She has the range (hits, album sales, touring stats, acclaim, celebrity) she has the longevity. She's like the most complete artist tbh. 

Taylor Swift isn't a Madonna or Michael Jackson, but she's Taylor ****ing Swift and that's a BIG deal.

tiagol88
2 hours ago, lawmak said:

All those points...and then this.:toofunny2:

13 years into her career Whitney was in 1998, right? If so, you're right...that was the year she released her last successful album so, she was still doing it! Sorry. 

Talking Fish

Honestly MJ's career is hugely overrated he basically had a Gaga career path just with more scandals and bigger. 

CaptainMusic
32 minutes ago, Talking Fish said:

Honestly MJ's career is hugely overrated he basically had a Gaga career path just with more scandals and bigger. 

He had hits from 1970-2001 and Thriller,  Bad and Dangerous were bigger than any Madonna, Gaga and Taylor era.

Definitely not a “Gaga career path”. :dies: 

Talking Fish
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

He had hits from 1970-2001 and Thriller,  Bad and Dangerous were bigger than any Madonna, Gaga and Taylor era.

Definitely not a “Gaga career path”. :dies: 

Basically Huge spike - big follow up - fall off - rebound - fall off (but Gaga won't die so fast and is not a pedophile). He had a thing with jackson 5 before though.

If you think The Fame Monster isn't as big as Bad or Dangerous then you're delusional. It was the biggest pop era of the decade.

And also what hits in 2000's? You Rock My World didn't even go platinum anywhere in the world :rip:

Oh and Also Taylor Swift has the same amount of Top 10's and Twice the amount of hot 100 entries as MJ. But less #1s (though a huge amount of #2's).

Edited by Talking Fish

CaptainMusic
7 minutes ago, Talking Fish said:

Basically Huge spike - big follow up - fall off - rebound - fall off (but Gaga won't die so fast and is not a pedophile). He had a thing with jackson 5 before though.

If you think The Fame Monster isn't as big as Bad or Dangerous then you're delusional. It was the biggest pop era of the decade.

And also what hits in 2000's? You Rock My World didn't even go platinum anywhere in the world :rip:

Oh and Also Taylor Swift has the same amount of Top 10's and Twice the amount of hot 100 entries as MJ. But less #1s (though a huge amount of #2's).

What exactly was the fall off and rebound, please tell me you’re not talking about Bad and Dangerous :skull: 

Thriller is the biggest era of all time, of course he was going to decline. Doesn’t change the fact that Bad and Dangerous were still massive.

CSPC - 
Off The Wall - 30M

Thriller  - 116M

Bad - 62M

Dangerous - 45M

History - 31M

284M with just 5 releases over 16 years is incredible.

TFM is 2 eras not one and even then Bad and Dangerous have a much higher than CSPC than both combined. You Rock My World went Top 10 in 26 countries, it was a hit. Madonna’s Music “only” went platinum in 3 countries yet it was still a global smash.

To say MJ had a Gaga like career is LAUGHABLE, you really tried it.

GlamSlam

So the narrative they're trying to make stick is that TFM was as big as Bad and Dangerous. :lmao:

I was actually around when MJ released Bad, and even attended the Bad tour and can honestly say LG didn't experience 10% of the mass hysteria that Michael Jackson experienced between Thriller - Dangerous.   What's even funnier is the same people (probably millenials) are desperately trying to downplay Madonna's success and popularity and yet she (along with Prince) was viewed as rivals to MJ back in the 80's - and that's the truth.

The delusion in here is an absolute scream.

TheRealGâteau
5 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

So the narrative they're trying to make stick is that TFM was as big as Bad and Dangerous. :lmao:

I was actually around when MJ released Bad, and even attended the Bad tour and can honestly say LG didn't experience 10% of the mass hysteria that Michael Jackson experienced between Thriller - Dangerous.   What's even funnier is the same people (probably millenials) are desperately trying to downplay Madonna's success and popularity and yet she (along with Prince) was viewed as rivals to MJ back in the 80's - and that's the truth.

you only see what your eyes want to see 

G'Day
15 hours ago, Mrguilbeaux said:

I think she’s a huge cultural force and been a central pop figure for a long time but besides being a crossover success she hasn’t really broken any barriers like the two of them did. She’s done extremely extremely well but she hasn’t forged new paths or redefined what a space could be the way they did. 

The person closest to doing that culturally is probably Beyoncé 

Being a crossover success wasn’t even a barrier Taylor broke tho, as women like Dolly Parton, Olivia Newton-John and Shania Twain all paved the way for Taylor. 

Agree with the rest though

Talking Fish
57 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

ok boomer

rebeltwat

:rip:

Whosthatboy93

No.

At least not yet, people always think this is easy to do (overcome others singers), there's so MUCH impact that Taylor doesn't have (Like M and MJ had).She has had a lot of things but no, M and MJ still on another and higher level. But is ok, fandoms get excited when their favorite singer is being successful, and for them is the best of the world and overcome everybody, let them be, later that could change, look at Katy.

alfonso12
On 8/1/2020 at 9:49 AM, bluth said:

gays always undersell (and misunderstand) madonna by comparing any girl with big sales to her. madonna was so much more than her sales

taylor reminds me more of someone like celine. great stats but probably won’t have the lasting influence that madonna had 

Kinda this. Taylor probably has bigger number than Madonna but she's not in the same level of cultural impact and influence, it's really different, I don't think they are comparable, they have different paths.

Zoe_

I'll say closer to Barbra Streisand than MJ and Madonna. 

Both MJ and Madonna's music has had an impact that is unmatched compared to most of their peers. Taylor has remained VERY consistent but I am not sure her music will have the same impact. 

Adele is still closer than anyone when it comes to sales. She literally sold over 30 million copies with "21" and over 20 million copes with "25". Those sales are MASSIVE for any period, let alone albums that were released in the 2010s.