Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

collin
Just now, mcohen said:

Ask again in 20 years

At this point in their careers Madonna and MJ had trail blazed this poor girl 500x over. :toofunny2:

The only hope for Taylor to have a meaningful legacy is what comes next for her. I have some faith in her

Mandalay

The narrative that you have to be provocative because you are not talented enough  is not it. I'm not even a Taylor fan, but why does she have to be? She's a very successful singer-songwriter and people should be glad that this type of pop star still exists.

collin
15 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

The narrative that you have to be provocative because you are not talented enough  is not it. I'm not even a Taylor fan, but why does she have to be? She's a very successful singer-songwriter and people should be glad that this type of pop star still exists.

It would be more exciting if her lyricism or even her voice was actually something to write home about.

*-ChriZ-*
1 hour ago, Mandalay said:

Because thats what being a grandiose Popstar a la mj and madonna is all about. Hence i agree that Taylor should be more compared to singer-songwriter legends than the queen and king of Pop whose legacy is built around massive hype, innovation, the grandiose.

StrangerInTheDark

It's really insulting to put basic local generic singer next to global artists who shaped the industry.

taylor's whole shtick is based on selling albums in US. Madonna and MJ are not legends because of their records and sales.

the fact that Taylor stans think she is up there because of her sales is actually sad lol 

dylanx
1 hour ago, collin said:

It would be more exciting if her lyricism or even her voice was actually something to write home about.

Acclaimed songwriter Taylor Swift definitely has many lyrics to write home about. Every song on Folklore is a masterclass in songwriting.

wanderlust
Posted (edited)

what is this bull****? David Bowie was also innovative, and not for a lack of talent. if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. it's not about shock factor. gaga tried that, and she failed. Nicki Minaj and Miley tried as well and failed. you have to be very talented to pull it off. 

some people rather be ARTISTS and innovate and explore.. others are just singer songwriters with a few cute videos

Edited by wanderlust

*-ChriZ-*
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, wanderlust said:

what is this bull****? David Bowie was also innovative, and not for a lack of talent. if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. it's not about shock factor. gaga tried that, and she failed. Nicki Minaj and Miley tried as well and failed. you have to be very talented to pull it off. 

some people rather be ARTISTS and innovate and explore.. others are just singer songwriters with a few cute videos

Imagine the likes of David Bowie, Madonna, Prince, MJ and Freddie Mercury and then trying to argue a Taylor Swift is anywhere close to their level just because of sales. Laughable.

The only artist who has that grandiose, shifting persona is Beyonce. Gaga had it in the beginning, but she lost it along the way.

Edited by *-ChriZ-*

Madonno
5 hours ago, Mandalay said:

Good thing that Madonna and MJ are/were excellent writers too :clap3:

See? They are/were a full complete package. 

Mandalay
3 hours ago, wanderlust said:

I'm ok some people chose to be provocative. Seems like you are not ok with singer-songwriters in the music industry.

Madonno
5 hours ago, TipToe said:

Taylor is truly a phenomenon and her commercial power in America may be unmatched by like 99% of the female singers that ever existed but she has YET to achieve the same level of importance and notoriety that Madonna and MJ had at their peak. She lives on a different time and "shock the waves" in a less omnipresent way, so to speak, Madonna and MJ benefited from being pioneers and the "center" of pop culture for a long period, they were inescapable at some point and the impact of their work reverberated beyond their fan bases or even the own music realm. Taylor is clearly an influential figure in the media capable of creating micro revolutions but it doesn't compare imo, her status is big but Madonna and MJ were like the superstars of the superstars.

But is more easey to be the center of pop culture today because of social media!

30 years ago, it was harder. Madonna, for example, was completely blocked in a lot of countries. Today, in every corner of the world, you have internet... 

That only speak abou how really massive and dominante were the presence of Madonna and MJ in pop culture. 

Madonno
2 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

I'm ok some people chose to be provocative. Seems like you are not ok with singer-songwriters in the music industry.

He´s Ok, because like I said, Madonna and MJ are/were excellent songwriter. I mean, some of their works are listed among the best albums and songs all time.

Mandalay
3 minutes ago, Madonno said:

He´s Ok, because like I said, Madonna and MJ are/were excellent songwriter. I mean, some of their works are listed among the best albums and songs all time.

No, I see Madonna fans delight in belittling others in capital letters. Not my problem actually.

Aaron

Of course. I’m guessing a lot of people in here must be older and that’s why they feel so nostalgic and attached to this idea of MJ/Madonna’s success being forever unattainable by anyone else. 

C.Damen
6 hours ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Sex sells. That's the only thing Madonna popularized in female music scene and she copied it from the real icon Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn is the Blueprint 

7 hours ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Just because Madonna has some European countries where she sold 1k copies and got a #1 won't make her GLOBAL. Taylor has North America, Asia and Australia. China and India's population alone>>>> The whole Europe combined. Seems like Taylor is the more GLOBAL one

Do you think before you type or do you just sprout nonsense?

tiagol88
27 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Of course. I’m guessing a lot of people in here must be older and that’s why they feel so nostalgic and attached to this idea of MJ/Madonna’s success being forever unattainable by anyone else. 

Because it is. And it's anyone's fault. It has to do more with the times we're living than anything else.

There won't be stars workshipped like before because social media brought them down to "our" level. They no longer are seen as these gods that you never see or hear directly from, except at shows. No one is passing out on concerts, no one is going to hospitals for being trampled all over on shows like during the 60's-90's. 

Madonna, Michael Jackson etc...started at a time the industry was changing rapidly. Specially Madonna showed that even if you're not a certified musician (which MJ was), you can rule the world. She used fashion, her image, TV, music videos in a way no one else did except Michael Jackson. And her tours literally changed how female stars presented themselves on stage. Only Tina Turner was doing stadiums as solo femals go...but they were rock shows. It was her, a band and her energy.

What Taylor is doing, bringing troupes of dancers, concepts, highly technical stages, costume changes, trainer choreographers, etc...who was the woman that did this first?

Madonna also had some strong messages to share, and all that helped her achieve her level of stardom. The thing is...she did so much that everyone else that came after her was compared to her.

I mean, go to youtube. Cher, Kylie Minogue, sometimes even Janet, Whitney, Mariah were always getting annoyed for the fact reporters were always asking about Madonna. Specially vocalists like Whitney and Mariah didn't like it one bit and it was understandable since they were doing something different. 

In what way did Taylor change this industry that's comparable with Michael Jackson or Madonna? It's an honest question...i'm curious. 

She didn't. But that doesn't mean what she's doing is not remarkable. Do you have any idea what it's like to sustain a career like she is doing after 13 years? Whitney couldn't. Mariah...was not in a good place. 

There's also the fact Taylor is MUCH more local than these 2 were. MJ and Madonna's impact had such a global reach that they sold over 5 million copies ALONE in europe per album release with plenty of their records. Look at Madonna's Confessions. The album is at around 2M in the USA. Yet it sold 10M WW, how? Europe alone it sold over 5M copies. Canada half a million, Asia over a million, etc...

Taylor sold over 10M WW with 2 albums and over 50% of those sales came from a single country. Still remarkable...but it does say a lot about her global outreach. 

C.Damen
59 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

No, I see Madonna fans delight in belittling others in capital letters

1. You literally belittle Madonna and find even more ways to belittle Madonna nearly every thread so you have no room to speak.

2. I love how you ignore the TAYLOR fans belittling others as well, which is typically what you and the rest of the undercover fans do.

Benghazi82
6 hours ago, collin said:

Actually, yes critics are praising her lyricism. Just Google your name and you can read essays on that topic.

She is not a vocalist the way Ariana is. However, she is a trained musician and knows how to tell a story with her speak-sing style. Contrast her to Madonna who can't sing at all.

Mandalay
26 minutes ago, C.Damen said:

1. You literally belittle Madonna and find even more ways to belittle Madonna nearly every thread so you have no room to speak.

2. I love how you ignore the TAYLOR fans belittling others as well, which is typically what you and the rest of the undercover fans do.

I don't need to belittle anyone. It's just you couldn't handle my opinion on Madonna's talent, which is understandable as you are a stan.

devonedelrey

Shes more like at a drake level, lets say shes the female white version of him, she has some records broken but shes not a famous or known internationally as those artists mentioned

C.Damen

I don't need to belittle anyone.

Yes you do. You do it in every thread involving Madonna.

It's just you couldn't handle my opinion on Madonna's talent

And you can't handle opinions on Taylor so?

superben

The answer is no, but Taylor has great potential to have big eras for the next 2 or 3 albums, and by then, we can start to reconsider this.

Mandalay
54 minutes ago, C.Damen said:

Yes you do. You do it in every thread involving Madonna.

And you can't handle opinions on Taylor so?

1. I don't

2. I can 

ItsJim

Those were worldwide phenomenons (esp. MJ), while Taylor is extremely successful saying that they have similar power is an absolute reach.

C.Damen
9 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

1. I don't

2. I can 

Yes you do and no you can't, sir.