Link16

Is Taylor power similar to MJ/Madonna level?

Artistofthedecade
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Madonno said:

Lol

Even worse

Then read again. Madonna's recod is with a single date. 

Because they played to open field. Stadium CAN'T take 170k people in a date. If it could, she could play to 100-150k people easily. What is not clicking? :dies:

4 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Well hello there. I and many absoluteld agree here, thus it should be absolutely clear why Taylor is still lightyears behind Madonna or MJ. Yes, she has matching success in a way, but when it comes to impact, to acclaim, to the way people perceive Madonna and MJ, she cannot compete.

I never said she is in the same level with MJ and Madonna. I don't think she is and time will tell if she will be in future. I can see she is getting closer to Madonna tho. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade

Artistofthedecade
3 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

:lmao: Madonna's was 130,000 for ONE show.

And? If she played to stadium, it would take multiple dates as well. What do you expect? People to fly over stadium or something to watch? 

They are SAME city at the end of the day. I don't see what is the difference. 

Agenor
26 minutes ago, Madonno said:

In fact, Madonna (the album) was the first one to reach more than 5M in the states! 

I thought that was the case, but I got this on wiki: "By July 1985, Like a Virgin became the first album by a female artist to be certified for sales of five million units in the United States." I presumed the first album was the first one to reach 5M when you take into account the year of release, but in real time LAV was the first one to achieve that goal. I could be wrong though... anyway she was the first one to have 2 albums over 5M in the US. :party:

BnPac

It’s not fair to compare the pure sales of the artists of before to those in the digital age. You can pull just how many pure copies Madonna sold two decades ago, it doesn’t change the fact that, in the US particularly, Taylor has a bigger selling power and on a strick charts based point she IS bigger than Madonna. 

I don’t think she is at her level yet overall career wise, because Madonna was quite exceptional in a lot of aspects and her sales were not the most important but it makes zero sense to bring up the fact that Madonna has 20M selling albums to discredit Taylor. 

stevyy
1 hour ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Do you expect an artist in Streaming era to sell 15 million albums in 2020 :toofunny2:

No, but do you expect an early 80s artist to reach 10 billion streams?

And even that would not cover it. Madonna is a legend of the highest order with success spanning 4 decades. She is the blueprint of pop culture. Taylor has not been a pop culture force in that respect. Everything Madonna did in the 80s and 90s was "breaking news".

Countless of acts aspire to be like her or followed her blueprint. Madonna is in a league of her own (and so is MJ) because they created the industry for their respective genders or races and pushed the boundaries too many times to count them. 

Taylor is a sweet pop girl, but right now... nobody compares to those 2.

LikeaRebel
3 minutes ago, stevyy said:

And even that would not cover it. Madonna is a legend of the highest order with success spanning 4 decades. She is the blueprint of pop culture. Taylor has not been a pop culture force in that respect. Everything Madonna did in the 80s and 90s was "breaking news".

Countless of acts aspire to be like her or followed her blueprint. Madonna is in a league of her own (and so is MJ) because they created the industry for their respective genders or races and pushed the boundaries too many times to count them. 

Taylor is a sweet pop girl, but right now... nobody compares to those 2.

giphy.gif

GlamSlam
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Because they played to open field. Stadium CAN'T take 170k people in a date. If it could, she could play to 100-150k people easily.

So why hasn't she? Surely if she could do it with ease she would've done it by now, which makes me think she simply isn't big enough to fill these types of venues...

I see Billboard tried to rewrite history again claiming TS broke the ALL TIME concert attendance record with 67,000 (when in reality it was broken decades earlier by the likes of Tina Turner, Frank Sinatra and Paul McCartney... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-attended_concerts#Single-artist_concerts

Edited by GlamSlam

Artistofthedecade
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, stevyy said:

No, this is why ı don't compare their streams unlike many people in this thread compare their pure sales. 

23 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

So why hasn't she? Surely if she could do it with ease she would've done it by now, which makes me think she simply isn't big enough to fill these types of venues...

BECAUSE THERE IS NO VENUE FOR THAT in Massachusetts. What is not clicking? What do you expect? People to attend concert with balloons or something? 

Biggest venues in Massachusetts 

-FoxboroGillette Stadium 65.878 all-seater  -Boston College EaglesBostonAlumni Stadium 44.500 all-seater 

-Boston Red SoxBostonFenway Park 37755 all-seater 

-Harvard CrimsonBostonHarvard Stadium 33323 all-seater

Sure she had 175.000 attendance BUT ISN'T BIG ENOUGH TO SELL 100K date, especially after breaking the record of HIGHEST GROSSING TOUR IN US. The mental gymnactics here :ahh:

23 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

:lmao: Billboard's DESPERATE attempts to rewrite history by claiming TS broke the ALL TIME concert attendance record with 67,000....

Yes, she did. And it was not attemt, numbers don't lie. 

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/chart-beat/8487606/taylor-swift-reputation-stadium-tour-breaks-record-highest-grossing-us-tour

But ı should go with Atrl user GlamSlam's opinions instead of Bilboard, shouldn't ı? 

Also the list you posted is wrong. They are not 1 dates. It says Paul McCartney but he played 2 dates in Maracana, 20 and 21 August. Like most of people because Maracana stadium holds 80k people at most. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maracanã_Stadium

Edited by Artistofthedecade

Witnessuss

She IS the Music Industry :jonny5:

My Tears Ricochet
14 hours ago, makeme said:

True blue and LAV are for sure bigger globally 

Just because Madonna has some European countries where she sold 1k copies and got a #1 won't make her GLOBAL. Taylor has North America, Asia and Australia. China and India's population alone>>>> The whole Europe combined. Seems like Taylor is the more GLOBAL one

Embustera

Everybody knows what a Madonna is. My mom still don't know what a Taylor is. Oh well Taylor isn't that big in my country.

collin

No, and here’s why: she has never done anything subversive or envelope pushing. End thread

collin
16 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Just because Madonna has some European countries where she sold 1k copies and got a #1 won't make her GLOBAL. Taylor has North America, Asia and Australia. China and India's population alone>>>> The whole Europe combined. Seems like Taylor is the more GLOBAL one

Impact is the only word needed to derail the entire discussion.

collin
3 hours ago, Witnessuss said:

She IS the Music Industry :jonny5:

Makes music pretty faceless then.

Loghen

Is the question "Was Madonna's (and MJs but no one is talking about him for some reason) prime bigger and longer than Taylor's right now"?

My Tears Ricochet
1 minute ago, collin said:

Impact is the only word needed to derail the entire discussion.

Sex sells. That's the only thing Madonna popularized in female music scene and she copied it from the real icon Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn is the Blueprint 

TipToe

Taylor is truly a phenomenon and her commercial power in America may be unmatched by like 99% of the female singers that ever existed but she has YET to achieve the same level of importance and notoriety that Madonna and MJ had at their peak. She lives on a different time and "shock the waves" in a less omnipresent way, so to speak, Madonna and MJ benefited from being pioneers and the "center" of pop culture for a long period, they were inescapable at some point and the impact of their work reverberated beyond their fan bases or even the own music realm. Taylor is clearly an influential figure in the media capable of creating micro revolutions but it doesn't compare imo, her status is big but Madonna and MJ were like the superstars of the superstars.

collin
1 minute ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Sex sells. That's the only thing Madonna popularized in female music scene and she copied it from the real icon Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn is the Blueprint 

That’s alarmingly incorrect and disrespectful :rip: It’s true she borrowed from Marilyn just like Taylor borrowed from others before her. Sex was a huge part of her legacy, though, and very important and foundational to what it means to be a woman in music today. She took this far beyond what Marilyn did and to not admit that is delusional. This segment of her career alone eviscerated Taylor Swift’s entire legacy — she had had little to no reach impact and influence wise, especially when sat next to Madonna or MJ. :laugh: 

TipToe
3 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Ridiculous. Madonna wasn't only showing skin or being raunchy, she was a really ambitious woman pushing high budget videos and new ideas into performing arts. Inform yourself.

collin
6 minutes ago, Loghen said:

Is the question "Was Madonna's (and MJs but no one is talking about him for some reason) prime bigger and longer than Taylor's right now"?

The word ‘power’ is in the thread title. The only area Taylor competes in this department is record sales. The things that are meaningful and indicative of actual power and sway in culture she pales in comparison. I hope one day she decides to do something with the voice she has.

collin
1 minute ago, TipToe said:

Ridiculous. Madonna wasn't only showing skin or being raunchy, she was a really ambitious woman pushing high budget videos and new ideas into performing arts. Inform yourself.

As if Madonna didn’t ‘popularize’ dozens of things. :rip: 

What exactly has Taylor Swift popularized?

mcohen
Posted (edited)

Reading through this thread and some of you are so delusional about Taylor :dies:

No words. Literally living in an alternative reality :bibliahh:

Edited by mcohen

TipToe
2 minutes ago, collin said:

As if Madonna didn’t ‘popularize’ dozens of things. :rip: 

What exactly has Taylor Swift popularized?

Remember the time when Taylor was just a scared girl at that VMA stage being baby sited by Beyoncé? Madonna at her early years was basically being a more sane Kanye and confronting the ole veterans. No comparison.

imsorare

Taylor is a very talented strategic singer-songwriter, I won't deny that. But comparing her to music legends as Madonna/Michael Jackson is wrong on so many levels. Madonna & MJ had a huge impact in every single department - music, music videos, fashion, culture. Pop music would have never been the same without them. Would pop music be different without Taylor? I don't think so. 

mcohen
1 minute ago, imsorare said:

Taylor is a very talented strategic singer-songwriter, I won't deny that. But comparing her to music legends as Madonna/Michael Jackson is wrong on so many levels. Madonna & MJ had a huge impact in every single department - music, music videos, fashion, culture. Pop music would have never been the same without them. Would pop music be different without Taylor? I don't think so. 

Ask again in 20 years