littlebodybigheart

Why is Taylor so big in Australia?

littlebodybigheart

a few weeks ago, a topic was created asking atrl members why taylor is the biggest western artist in asia currently. some answered it was because she’s “childish” amongst other things relating to her having blonde hair and blue eyes.

with the release of folklore, we got to see taylor’s power in australia even more as she debuts at #1 with new single “cardigan” making it her 6th #1 and debuts at #1 on the albums chart as well. the album also debuted with 5 top 10’s and ALL songs in the top 50 of the chart. and breaking the record for most simultaneous entries.

”1989” remains the female album with most charting weeks in the country, charting for “209” non-consecutive weeks. the album is 9x platinum in australia.

“lover” also spent its entire chartrun inside the top 50 of the country’s top 50 chart. the album is 2x platinum.

”fearless” is 7x platinum in the country and “reputation” is 3x platinum. too lazy to get the stats for the others.

so the question is, why is taylor so huge in australia? and we can’t have the same excuses as asia.

discuss!

Stellars

Because we stan TABS and quality here :celestial3:

katyhudson

She's local to Australia:clap3:

Mr. Stratus

Australia is an easy market for Western pop girls 

bluebirdsforever
4 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

As someone who lives there, this is extremely untrue. Taylor has been virtually unstoppable here since Love Story. She’s toured stadiums since RED.

Her, Adele, Ed and P!nk are a cut above pretty much everyone else.

OT: She cultivated a fan base early on and has sizeable GP support, so she’s shockingly consistent.

Edited by bluebirdsforever

07tandu

Cause we like her music :cm:

dreampop

What’s her chart history and her chart runs like there ??? Cause in the US with her singles the last 3 years , she gets high peaks but they drop within a few weeks out the top 10 

DesiredConsternation
11 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

And why is she and Pink the only one doing numbers then?

diogozsz
14 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

Show us your favs numbers in Australia then :clap3:

littlebodybigheart
14 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

i mean, this can’t be the case because taylor is demolishing in levels that aren’t comparable to the other “pop girls” that should be easily breaking into the market.

i mean, for comparison “stupid love” debuted at #7 and “chromatica” is already at #25 on their albums chart when “lover” never left the top 20. and actually “1989” is only one spot below it at #26 despite being released 11 months ago and 6 years ago respectively.

we need another explanation!

5 minutes ago, dreampop said:

What’s her chart history and her chart runs like there ??? Cause in the US with her singles the last 3 years , she gets high peaks but they drop within a few weeks out the top 10 

i listed some examples in the op

”1989” is the longest-charting female album of all time in australia. it is #26 on the chart today and #8 on the DECADE end chart

”lover” spends the entirety of its 11-month run in the top 20

singles-wise, she’s huge there too but i can’t really find her chartruns...

JesusORGod

Because we stan TABS in Aus.

She is smart that she has kept her life away from the public eye and is why she is serving longevity while her peers are and have been flopping left, right and centre for some time now.

Solarie

Because she’s “local” my ass.

KMO

We have a similar community of young white girls who stan her. I’d say Red/1989 was the first and last time it was “cool” to like her. Also our charts are super small and don’t move much at all, so they can be manipulated easily. She has heaps of radio deals here too

HonourableVomit
5 minutes ago, KMO said:

We have a similar community of young white girls who stan her. I’d say Red/1989 was the first and last time it was “cool” to like her. Also our charts are super small and don’t move much at all, so they can be manipulated easily. She has heaps of radio deals here too

Yes, her stadium shows here are probably 1% male. It's insane. 

littlebodybigheart
18 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

melbourne:

63,027 / 63,027 (100%)

sydney:

72,805 / 72,805 (100%)

brisbane:

43,907 / 43,907 (100%)

here are examples of 100% sold out stadium crowds. i find it hard to believe that crowds of over 70 thousand people are 1% male. that’s just not accurate.

Artistofthedecade
22 minutes ago, KMO said:

Isn't big part of Australia population white and unsurprisingly half of it is female? Looks like big part of Australia demographic to me. 

Also Reputation is 3+ and Lover is 2+ platinum there which is pretty big. I don't think they are manipulated as well. 

17 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

According to? :rip:

OT : People told me she is local so ı guess she is local to Australia :huh:

GoodGuyGoneGhetto
1 hour ago, bluebirdsforever said:

As someone who lives there, this is extremely untrue. Taylor has been virtually unstoppable here since Love Story. She’s toured stadiums since RED.

Her, Adele, Ed and P!nk are a cut above pretty much everyone else.

OT: She cultivated a fan base early on and has sizeable GP support, so she’s shockingly consistent.

1 hour ago, JesusORGod said:

Because we stan TABS in Aus.

She is smart that she has kept her life away from the public eye and is why she is serving longevity while her peers are and have been flopping left, right and centre for some time now.

Rihanna is very BIG in AUS.

• She is second to Madonna as the Female act with the most number ones, and is ahead of Delta Goodrem and Kylie Minogue for example.

• She is the biggest selling singles act/most certified Female act in AUS. 

• Her album sales are also impressive and are close to 1M altogether.

She is also HUMUNGOUS in NZ.

As for touring, I can’t really say. She only truly toured Oceania during the ‘Diamonds’ tour. Hopefully if she tours again for #R9 or #R10, she visits AUS. 

Victon
27 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Rihanna is very BIG in AUS.

• She is second to Madonna as the Female act with the most number ones, and is ahead of Delta Goodrem and Kylie Minogue for example.

• She is the biggest selling singles act/most certified Female act in AUS. 

• Her album sales are also impressive and are close to 1M altogether.

She is also HUMUNGOUS in NZ.

As for touring, I can’t really say. She only truly toured Oceania during the ‘Diamonds’ tour. Hopefully if she tours again for #R9 or #R10, she visits AUS. 

They're kinda irrelevant tho, only gays know Kylie. 

Rihanna is not really a force in Tour department and her album sales is also not that WOW in Australia compared to Taylor, Adele or P!nk. 

P!nk is insanely successful in Australia

Funhouse 12X Platinum

Greatest Hits So Far 9X Platinum

The Truth About Love 9X Platinum

And her Funhouse DVD Tour 31X Platinum and at number 1 for 19 consecutive weeks lol. She's something else in Australia. 

If we're talking about singles... Yeah quick little sums for the bank account, but speaking of longevity and big accounts, P!nk, Taylor, Adele and Ed are undeniably formidable in Australia

Beyonnaise

She's just a global legend.

HonourableVomit
9 hours ago, littlebodybigheart said:

here are examples of 100% sold out stadium crowds. i find it hard to believe that crowds of over 70 thousand people are 1% male. that’s just not accurate.

9 hours ago, Artistofthedecade said:

According to? :rip:

I've... been to one. Have you? 

Artistofthedecade
9 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

I've... been to one. Have you? 

I have numbers instead which says %38 of tour attendance was male in general. From %38 average to %1 looks... ıdk. Maybe AUS girls don't force their partners enough :fan:

Popboi.
9 hours ago, Victon said:

They're kinda irrelevant tho, only gays know Kylie. 

Rihanna is not really a force in Tour department and her album sales is also not that WOW in Australia compared to Taylor, Adele or P!nk. 

P!nk is insanely successful in Australia

Funhouse 12X Platinum

Greatest Hits So Far 9X Platinum

The Truth About Love 9X Platinum

And her Funhouse DVD Tour 31X Platinum and at number 1 for 19 consecutive weeks lol. She's something else in Australia. 

If we're talking about singles... Yeah quick little sums for the bank account, but speaking of longevity and big accounts, P!nk, Taylor, Adele and Ed are undeniably formidable in Australia

Are you seriously fanning over receipts and call Kylie and Delta irrelevant?

Delta’s albums certs add up to 24x Platinum, Kylie’s to 30x, only P!nk and Madonna have more than either of them pretty much, and both had cancer at their peaks, after the breaks both peak’s deteriorated. Absolutely NOT the definition of “irrelevant” lmfao :rip: Delta has the same amount of #1 singles as P!nk while Kylie has more than both. So clearly saying only gays use Kylie there is as stereotyped and wrong as saying P!nk’s are moms trying to be hip and down with the cool kids.

Edited by Popboi.

2AM
11 hours ago, DesiredConsternation said:

And why is she and Pink the only one doing numbers then?

To be fair, Katy’s doing numbers too maybe not on their level but still impressive stats. Australia is perhaps her most consistently supportive market outside North America. 
All her albums are certified there and Roar is the best selling female song of all time (15x Platinum).
 As far as albums go, Prism and Teenage Dream we’re both top 15 on the decade end albums chart and both are probably close to 500k each. 
OOTB is also 3x Platinum and Witness is eligible for Platinum. 
She’s also pretty massive when it comes to touring there, even her low point with the Witness Tour she sold over 100k tickets for the Oceania leg. 

naval23

She's huge but she's not a Pink 

mcohen
11 hours ago, dreampop said:

In the last 3 years she's had 2 Top 30 Hot 100 YEC and 6 Top 50 Hot 100 YEC singles in the US

She's doing just fine single wise 

ezgif-2-96146dcc7c.thumb.gif.669d1dd965d

OT - Talent :clap3:

Edited by mcohen