Pendulum

Shura drags Spotify's CEO for his statement about releases

Pendulum

Edited by Pendulum

rihannabiggestfan

I'm siding with Shura on this issue, most of the replies to her tweet are as well :giraffe:

mcohen

He has a point. Artist will lose fans and support if they are not constantly putting out material to keep listeners pleased and engaged. Streaming has open up so many options that people will move on if you take too long and that's how musicians fade

Edited by mcohen

BnPac

But he has a point. That’s how a streaming driven industry fonctions. If people don’t have enough new music from an artist on longer periods, they move on. 
Streaming is for the new generation primarily and their attention span is relatively short. 

Letemtalk

In the old days, the return on each album was good enough that artists could spend most of their time writing and recording and not much time touring. The Beatles retired from touring in 1966, because in those days you could do that and live off the album sales.

Since there is no money in streaming, you now spend more time touring. What Daniel Ek wants to see is a production line of 10-20 writers and producers creating product with no art, just a song factory.

Edited by Letemtalk

bestfiction

I'd say that it applies mostly to mainstream singers that are signed to major labels and who need to keep themselves relevant. But relevancy and commercial success isn't a primary goal for most artists 

Kiss It Better

but he's right and there are some real examples :foxaylove3:

Truth Teller

His quote was about making money. And if you don't put out anything for 4 years, you won't make money. That's true. The streaming game is also very single-oriented. Releasing an album of 16 tracks after a 4-year hiatus can only make so much money if only 3 songs can be promoted on the playlists to rack up big streams. An album cut getting a few million streams won't help.

As a fan, I agree that I prefer a good album every 3 years rather than 8 mediocre, rushed and incoherent droplets in the course of 3 years followed by an album that's a collection of those singles with 4 new ones thrown in for the fans. But it is objectively true that it's harder to make money that way

However, Spotify isn't paying good enough royalties and the fact that he's twisting it into "It's not that we're not paying you enough, it's that you don't work enough" is NOT a good look.