Rv1709

Did Taylor do Cruel Summer dirty?

Rv1709

Got a new pair of headphones and this song is such a banger. Would have smashed. 

HandsToMyself

Yes. Literally my favourite song of all time and I'll never understand how or why it wasn't a single. It's her only Track 2 on an album that wasn't released as a single.

Valtersen

That song is bad

iHype.

It was definitely gonna be a single til her label found out about the new album :toofunny2: It was beginning to chart at Pop radio and I heard it played on stations.

Her best song from Lover easily. We'll never know if it could've been a big hit for her, but the song being released so late would've likely underperformed. Had it been a lead single it would've easily outperformed Me.

One Rude Boy

It's her best song probably ever. Not sure if it would've smashed, but we won just by her creating the song in the first place

giphy.gif

XtianB

Cornelia Street sweetie...

muddysquirrel

Not releasing it as lead was criminal.

katyslut

yes but i’d rather had a new era and we got that, so i’m not totally mad 

CruelSummer13

Poor Cruel Summer. My favorite TS songs. Corona did her dirty :chick1:

Rv1709
18 minutes ago, muddysquirrel said:

Not releasing it as lead was criminal.

Lock ha up 

Stanna Kendrick

Brendon Urie and ME! should have been scrapped as the first single (and from the album). You Need to Calm Down should have been first with Cruel Summer following featuring St. Vincent.

Z3g31sO.gif

pavi

Should've been the lead single, with a video that incorporates The Archer as intro, than it would've smashed:gaycat4: don't think it would've smashed if it was released as a single now tbh

Bbmm

Yes. Cruel Summer should have been the follow up to YNTCD and then Lover the follower up to CS. What an era that woulda been

vuelve88

I’m sure she was going to release it before the pandemic started. Releasing it during COVID-19 would have been really tacky, though, because it actually has been a cruel summer.  :jonny: 

Rv1709

The part where she repeats “I’m drunk in the back of my car...” towards the end is sooooo catchy 

bluebirdsforever

I’m pretty certain the plan was to release it after The Man, but everything obviously changed after the world fell apart :sosad:

My Tears Ricochet

Yeah. It should've been the lead single. Instead she made 4 absolutely terrible songs as the singles.

Cruel Summer, Miss Americana and Afterglow deserved so much better 

JoeAg

it’s pop perfection and in her top 5 songs for me :sosad: she did it super dirty

at least we have August now though, also (folk) pop perfection imo and will certainly grow on many!

Brando

That was a perfect lead, released just before summer. But Taylor never been good with single choices, so I don't really care at this point as long as she keep serving outstanding album gems 

Julianna Calm Down

Miss Americana and the smash  heartbreak prince says hi dahling... 

Cruel summer is good but belongs in second tier. Fight me. :nicole2:

BODERLINE

No. It's one of her most overrated tracks.

grAntVRIL

too late

thankfulforkelly

If she’d released it as the lead single from Lover the era would’ve definitely been a lot bigger, especially singles-wise 

DaddyIssuesX

Cornelia > but yes Cruel was good and the bridge wow :jonny2: but thank god we got folklore instead