kelly-clarkson

Facebook adding Official Music Videos to compete w/ YouTube

kelly-clarkson

Facebook is unleashing hundreds of thousands of music videos in the U.S. starting this weekend — a direct challenge to YouTube, which has had a virtual lock on the internet music-video space for years.

According to Facebook, its debut of official music videos in the States is about more than just watching the videos themselves: Execs say the videos will be wrapped in new social experiences, all designed to encourage people to spend more time in Facebook’s apps.

With the U.S. launch of music videos, which Facebook has been actively developing since at least last fall, the company has updated Artist Pages of musicians and singers with a new section to let users browse their official music videos. Users will be able to follow an artist directly from music videos on Facebook, and click through from a video to their Page to get info like when they’re performing next and how to purchase their music.

Music videos will go live for U.S. users starting Saturday, Aug. 1, and will roll out to everyone in the country over the following days. The jury is still out on how much traction Facebook will get with the strategy, but it’s a massive opportunity: On YouTube, music videos account for around 25% of overall consumption, according to the Google-owned platform.

For the U.S. launch, Facebook has inked licensing deals for music videos with the three major music companies — Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group — as well as Merlin, BMG, Kobalt, and many independent music labels, publishers and societies. The full catalog of music videos will roll out over the next few weeks.

truthteller

but will they be counted for Hot 100 tho :gaygacat2:

Timber
1 minute ago, truthteller said:

Looking like yes. I think my fave has a ton of followers. :dancehall:

fridayteenage

i wish them...an ounce of luck

Smarticle

Fix ur factchecking first FB

professor2000
16 minutes ago, truthteller said:

From what I'm hearing, not yet.  I think FB is working with Nielsen to be included.  So, we got at least another 6 month to a year before it'll count for charting IMO.  :rip:  

OT: Too late.  FB should've started this process a LONGGGGGG time ago.  

feelslikeadream

Country music is about to DOMINATE the Hot 100. Y'all get ready for Ted Nugent's new single about how great Trump is to debut at #1 :cm:

cuneytb

Shakira has tons of followers so get ready to see her charting on the hot 100 :gaycat1:

HASHTAGPOW

Get ready for Havana (Trump Version) :clap3:

ChatshireCat
31 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i wish them...an ounce of luck

Rep2000

Facebook is infamous at fraudulent view counts, as their autoplaying setting inflates the "views"/impressions more than it actually reaches the audience. Literally because of this that some video content makers had to go bankrupt due to putting their egg into the FB's basket.

Truly the trashiest of all social media.

Giancor

what about the auto-play? its going to be a mess

One Rude Boy
1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

Country music is about to DOMINATE the Hot 100. Y'all get ready for Ted Nugent's new single about how great Trump is to debut at #1 :cm:

Looking forward to Ted Nugent's "Make America Great Again" (the QAnon remix)

Legend E

I Dare You can finally rechart :jonny5:

SpaceMan

Trash, **** fb

Dolce Vita
1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

:rip: 

Pure Adrenaline

Good look with that competition you speak of :fan:

when the boomers of Facebook get exposed to today's TikTok catered music and runaway from the platform I'm a swift would be the final blow to that site

My Tears Ricochet

That'll be cool. Will it be available worldwide too? 

tellem

So annoying. Don’t they count 3 seconds (including videos autoplaying on your feed) as a view? :biblio:

redsing707

Isn't FB dying anyway?

I don't think Official Music Videos is gonna save them...

Yusuf Utku Sezgin

selena has a huge platform on facebook :party:

Dante

Facebook is truly dying :rip:

TKO

I dont understand why Spotify doesnt.

I want everything on the same platform and they already have vertical videos. 

MayorOfTrollTown

Nobody asked for it

Pop Art

Unless this is gonna count for charts/certifications, I highly doubt it will take off. Why would you want to upload your video straight to FB if it doesn't count when you can just continue to upload it to YT (which does count) and just post that link on FB? They'll also need to modify what they count as a view because industry standards don't match their current definition of a view.