Raspberry Swirl

China invokes anti-criticism law against non-China citizens

Raspberry Swirl

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/31/china-hong-kong-security-law-american-citizen-exiles

Hong Kong police have issued arrest warrants for six pro-democracy activists living in exile, the first time the city’s authorities have used a sweeping new law to target campaigners living outside Hong Kong.

They include Samuel Chu, an American citizen who lives in the US, Nathan Law, a prominent campaigner who recently relocated to the UK after fleeing Hong Kong, and Simon Cheng, a former British consular staffer who was granted asylum in the UK after alleging he was tortured in China.

Chinese state media reported that the six men were wanted for “incitement to secession and collusion with foreign forces”.

The move comes a month after China introduced a controversial national security law in Hong Kong. China said the legislation targets the crimes of “secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces” and carries penalties as severe as life in prison.

Critics warned that it would be used to target legitimate opposition, and highlighted the unusual decision to make the law applicable to both Hong Kong residents and non-residents. That apparently gives China jurisdiction beyond its own borders.

Chu, who runs the Hong Kong Democracy Council, a Washington DC-based advocacy organization dedicated to furthering Hong Kong’s freedom and democracy, is the first person targeted under this aspect of the law.

He said China was sending a clear message to other activists by ordering his arrest.

“I would really emphasize how outrageous this really is,” Chu told the Guardian. “I am the first non-Chinese citizen that essentially is being targeted. I think they do intend to try to make this an example.”

Several countries have since suspended their extradition treaties with Hong Kong, including the UK, Australia and Germany, as a possible safeguard against attempts to use the national security laws to round up activists abroad. The US ordered an end to Hong Kong’s special economic status earlier in July.

Chu, who has lived in the US as an American citizen since 1996, said the charges amounted to China “targeting a US citizen for lobbying my own government”.

“We always knew that when the national security law went into effect there was a very troubling and illogical, irrational idea that they were claiming jurisdiction over anyone who is not even a Hong Kong resident, who is anywhere in the world, doing anything that they deemed threatening,” he said.

The other activists charged were Ray Wong, Wayne Chan and Honcques Laus.

Wong, who is currently in the UK, told Reuters the charges showed that the Chinese government was afraid of the advocacy work of Hong Kong activists internationally.

“I think they want to cut off our connection with people in Hong Kong … it will make people fear that they may violate the national security law by contacting us,” Wong said.

Followup to:

Spoiler

@Phantom@truthtellerIf we are to go cave-hunting, we'd better begin early. It'll be tough to find one with Wi-Fi. :dancehall3:

Phantom

:dancehall2:

I have to text my HKese friend who lives abroad. I am actually scared for her because she has relatives in Beijing, but has been living in EU (with her immediate family.) Her social media like Twitter and IG are also relatively easy to find; and certain posts are actually covered by the law. A MESS.

:psyduck: at them going after Samuel Chu, he's a literal American citizen :deadbanana2:Let me re-read the actual law because I thought it covers Chinese nationals, be it on mainland or abroad.

Also the cave better be one that's deep underground tbh

truthteller
Posted (edited)

but but but sinophobia1111!!!!!  :swan:

it's too late sis, theyve tracked us, i'm claiming the top bunk when we're all sent to "re-education summer camps", hopefully there's enough space for you and miss

@Phantom downstairs, i heard that he has practiced how to draw a cartoon bear and i hope his drawings wont occupy much space for you :gaycat5:

11 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I have to text my HKese friend who lives abroad. I am actually scared for her because she has relatives in Beijing, but has been living in EU (with her immediate family.) Her social media like Twitter and IG are also relatively easy to find; and certain posts are actually covered by the law. A MESS.

:psyduck: at them going after Samuel Chu, he's a literal American citizen :deadbanana2:Let me re-read the actual law because I thought it covers Chinese nationals, be it on mainland or abroad.

who's the Sweden citizen who got kidnapped in Thailand and sent straight to jail in China a few years ago for a coincidental "car incident" that happened decades ago? :coffee2:

Edited by truthteller

Park Jinyoung
3 minutes ago, Phantom said:

they can snatch him tbh :emofish:  he should watch out

Raspberry Swirl
6 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I am legitimately afraid for her. (No jokes this time). Hope she and her family stays safe.

We can never really leave the Hundred Acre Wood, but we can hope :cries2:

Phantom
7 minutes ago, Park Jinyoung said:

they can snatch him tbh :emofish:  he should watch out

:dancehall:

5 minutes ago, Raspberry Swirl said:

I am legitimately afraid for her. (No jokes this time). Hope she and her family stays safe.

We can never really leave the Hundred Acre Wood, but we can hope :cries2:

Same. She's not in some pro-democracy demonstrations, though she is Pro-Dem and Anti-Trump; but I've told her before to delete her comments about HK. For the longest time she was convinced the NSL wouldn't pass :rip:

TheLastChord

China is so ****ing extra. Like bitch, we get it, you want authoritarianism within your borders, but keep it to yourselves. 

Archetype

I can’t imagine why anyone would even think this law makes any sense whatsoever, especially if it allows the Chinese govt to target NON-CITIZENS who don’t even live in China for simply criticizing the govt.  This is insane.  :rip:

Nido

They need to stay in their lane, chile...

XO_Life

Well, Free HongKong **** the chinese goverment, **** China, **** the chinese Police, **** everything related to china. Oh and Free Hong Kong. 

Come at me bitches,  I dare you.

Rev8

The audacity ....truly the worst.

Jealous
2 hours ago, XO_Life said:

Well, Free HongKong **** the chinese goverment, **** China, **** the chinese Police, **** everything related to china. Oh and Free Hong Kong. 

Come at me bitches,  I dare you.

Praying for your safety

XO_Life
4 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Praying for your safety

Thank you. 

I am packing  (only for my own safety) so as I said, I dare them to come at me. 

RainDreamer

I swear China is the worst but everytime they get away with it, before long it'll be too late stop them. 

LeMésTragique

The future of the world :clap3: :rip: