Caesar

Spotify CEO: Artists need to release every year or two

Caesar

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek discussed streaming and sustainability in a recent interview with Music Ally published on Thursday. Ek denied criticisms that Spotify pays insufficient royalties to artists, and insisted that the role of the musician had changed in today's "future landscape."

Ek claimed that a "narrative fallacy" had been created and caused music fans to believe that Spotify doesn't pay musicians enough for streams of their music. "Some artists that used to do well in the past may not do well in this future landscape," Ek said, "where you can’t record music once every three to four years and think that’s going to be enough.”

However, Ek alleged that artists have said "many times" in private that they are happy with their royalties from Spotify, and said that he believes that musicians who cannot make a living may not be in step with modern standards. “I feel, really, that the ones that aren’t doing well in streaming are predominantly people who want to release music the way it used to be released,” Ek said.

TalkThatRihanna
Posted (edited)

Ariana and Post Malone being the standard and blueprint :jonny6: Ahh my faves

Also, I love how Rih is now the exception to this rule :fan:

Edited by TalkThatRihanna

Insanity

He didnt lie. It's the standard now

katyslut

well! im not mad :celestial3:

perpetual novice

It's true though, he said "working" musicians. If you're not already a millionaire off of music you need to basically push stuff out every month or sometimes even faster to see any money. 

Cloudy

Someone message Xtina the memo

shookspeare

lana really is THE most influential artist of the century :jonny5:

Illuminati

As much as it is a stans fantasy for me and many it also sounds kinda pressuring. Like sure Lana and Ariana seem to be eager to churn out music all the time and I love them for that but I feel like for other artists who take time to craft their work it could come at an expense of quality.

Jaffery

Adele and Ed Sheeran disagree

Beyonnaise

He's true but

Ek denied criticisms that Spotify pays insufficient royalties to artists, and insisted that the role of the musician had changed in today's "future landscape."

They don't pay artists s**t :skull: Unless you're Post, Taylor, Ariana, or Drake, you're likely not making much of anything from streams. Our indie faves make nearly all their income touring. Alaina from the band Tennis said she's lost so much income this year alone from not being able to tour when they released their most successful album yet in March.

KatyMyLady

It’s true whether we like it or not. 

KP6 next year! (She already Lowkey confirmed) 

Jaffery
Just now, Jaffery said:

Adele and Ed Sheeran disagree

The longer your break the more people want music from you, the more you’re gonna sell in your next era as long as you don’t come back with something like yummy as Justin Bieber did. This is mainly for the established acts though. If you’re up and coming with a small fanbase you need to release more frequently. 

Rev8

It's true

ppl lose interest much faster now

The7thStranger

Dear Spotify CEO: You run a payola scheme. Shut up.

Can't_M!ss_This

 Music wins

Speezy

Well he did not lie sksks

Dula Peep

Mr Ek really changed the game with that digital drop :clap3:

I think he knows what he's talking about.

the only thing I don't like about the streaming era is how songs are now under 3 minutes 

Mania

So glad I cancelled my subscription in May. 

LustSpell
Posted (edited)

For a new upcoming artist, I agree. You need to keep your name in the spotlight so you aren't forgotten in the mass influx of all new releases. The double album strategy cleared worked for Ariana and Taylor and by no means are they upcoming artists, but it worked - it needs to be the standard and now.

Edited by LustSpell

harwee

fastfood nation, its inevitable. 

TaggedGalaxy

Depends on the artist, some established artists like Bey and Adele can take years between albums and still sell, but newer artists need to stay in front of the GP, because the GP is fickle

Daddy
1 hour ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Ariana and Post Malone being the standard and blueprint :jonny6: Ahh my faves

Not Ari... :bibliahh:

Tropez
58 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

As much as it is a stans fantasy for me and many it also sounds kinda pressuring. Like sure Lana and Ariana seem to be eager to churn out music all the time and I love them for that but I feel like for other artists who take time to craft their work it could come at an expense of quality.

That last part isnt true. Some of the greatest albums according to critics, and people are ones done after yearly releases, in the middle of touring, etc. For example, The Beatles released albums every year, often multiples releases in one year. Yet their work has been globally acclaimed and preserved as bodies of art. 

If an artist doesnt even write and produce all their music. It should not be an issue to release often. Look at artists from the 60s-80s and see just how much music they were putting out. That’s why old artists usually call newer artists lazy. 

truthteller

Someone tag beauty guru miss fenty